Table of contents:
- How to make a pool in the country from scrap materials with your own hands
- What improvised means can be used as material for manufacturing
- Preparation and calculation of the structure
- How to make a pool from a tire
- Arrangement of the pool from plastic bottles
- Instructions for creating a pool from pallets with your own hands
- Related video: Homemade pool in the country
- Care and maintenance tips
- Photo: pools of various designs from scrap materials
Video: How To Make A Pool In The Country From Scrap Materials With Your Own Hands - Instructions With Photos And Videos
How to make a pool in the country from scrap materials with your own hands
A pool in the courtyard of a country house or summer cottage is associated with the luxury and prosperity of the owner. This is partly true, but anyone who owns even a small area can afford their own bathing place.
This will require a minimum investment, materials at hand, free time and a simple tool that most summer residents have. How to make a pool with your own hands - read our article.
1 What improvised means can be used as material for manufacturing
- 1.1 Old tire
- 1.2 Wooden pallets
- 1.3 Gabions
- 1.4 Plastic bottles
- 1.5 Concrete ring
- 1.6 Metal container
2 Preparation and design calculation
2.1 Tools and accessories
- 3 How to make a pool from a tire
- 4 Arrangement of the pool from plastic bottles
- 5 Instructions for creating a pool from pallets with your own hands
- 6 Related video: Homemade pool in the country
- 7 Tips for care and use
- 8 Photo: pools of various designs from scrap materials
What improvised means can be used as material for manufacturing
Speaking of improvised means, we mean materials that can be easily obtained without spending a lot of money. In this case, the final result, in addition to the appearance, will differ little from the finished products.
Tire pool for children
An old tire from large construction or agricultural equipment is an inexpensive material for building a small pool. It is best to use a tire from a combine with a diameter of 30-32 inches. This size is sufficient for arranging a swimming pool for one adult or two children.
To find a suitable tire size, you should contact a tire changer, where an unusable product will be sold for a small fee. Large tires are often sold by hand on the Internet.
Residents of large cities can go to a recycling warehouse, from where old tires are transported to factories for further processing.
Among the advantages of a pool made of tires are:
- the width of large-sized tires allows the use of material for the construction of the pool walls
- the round shape of the tire is ideal for creating a water tank;
- durable inner frame of the tire will reliably hold water;
- the rubber used in the manufacture of the product is not afraid of sudden changes and subzero temperatures;
- the total cost of materials spent on manufacturing is several times lower than when buying a finished structure;
- A tire pool can be easily decorated with paint.
The main disadvantage of such a pool is the total volume of the structure, which is enough for only one, maximum two adults. It will not be possible to fully swim and dive in it.
In fact, a pool made of a tire will resemble a bathtub where you can relax and lie down comfortably after a hot day at work.
Wooden pallets work well for creating pool walls
Wooden pallets are a rough plank flooring on a support used for storing bulk mixes in bags. The pallet has a convenient design and shape suitable for creating the supporting walls of the pool.
For a medium-sized pool, 9-11 pallets will suffice. This is enough for a container in which 3-4 people can freely sit.
The advantages of a homemade pallet pool include the following:
- the height of the pallet makes it possible to build large-capacity pools;
- ease of installation and fastening of stairs, steps, slides for descent into the water;
- it is not required to pull out a deep foundation pit;
- easy to dismantle and move to a new location;
- if necessary, you can quickly repair or expand by adding one or two sections.
Among the disadvantages of such a pool can be noted the general instability. It will require the use of lashing straps and supports to strengthen the structure, which must be checked and tightened before each water injection.
To protect against moisture and natural precipitation, finishing from the outside is required, with further processing of all wooden elements with an antiseptic.
Gabions create a durable and beautiful pool
Gabion is a reinforcing structure made of wire mesh. Previously, similar products were used to strengthen river banks, preventing their erosion. In construction and horticulture, they are used to create three-dimensional products of various shapes.
When creating a pool, they are ideal for forming walls. It is best to use dry stone of various sizes for filling mesh forms
The advantages of such a pool include:
- gabions allow you to create a container of any shape: circle, oval, square, rectangle;
- solidity and strength of the structure;
- simple technology of work, allowing you to create a pool of any size;
- original appearance that does not require additional finishing.
The labor costs for the installation of this pool are quite high, since it will be necessary to find a sufficient amount of stone and deliver it to the work site. Dismantling is another weak point of the structure, since it will take a lot of time to dismantle the pool.
Plastic containers are constantly used to create summer cottages and transfer water around the site. But it can also be used and applied for the construction of the pool.
The essence of the method is that the plastic bottle will be placed on the cement mortar, forming the walls of the future pool. During installation, the seams and the space between the bottles are filled with cement, which will give sufficient strength and tightness to the future structure.
The volume and shape of the container will depend only on the number of containers that can be found. This is the main disadvantage of the method, since it will take a long preparation of the material.
If possible, you can purchase containers in bulk. On average, the construction of a large pool will take no more than 2.5-3 thousand rubles, not including the cost of a cement-sand mixture.
With the help of the well ring, you can build a small font
Concrete rings are used to strengthen the walls of the well shaft and sewer. The standard dimensions of a reinforced concrete ring depend on the product marking. For example, products marked KS-15-9 have a height of 90 cm and a diameter of 150 cm.
The optimal sizes of well rings for building a pool can be found in the table below. There are rings with a ready-made bottom, which will simplify the process of building a pool, since you do not have to pour a concrete base.
|product name||Size (mm.)||Cost, rub.)|
The advantages of such a pool include its strength and durability. Concrete walls do not need to be strengthened and treated with a protective compound. The width and depth of the resulting container is quite enough for bathing 2-3 adults.
The only drawback is that to deliver the ring to the suburban area, you will need to order large-sized vehicles. For unloading and transfer to the location of the pool, a crane is used, which will also require certain costs on the part of the customer.
Large metal containers are used for transportation by rail or in shipping. You can find them at metal drop-off points, where leaky products are often delivered.
Such a container is well suited for the pool - you just need to weld the resulting cracks. The capacity of the container directly affects the size of the future pool.
As in the case of the well ring, you will need to order special equipment for the delivery, unloading and transfer of the container, not a pre-prepared place. The rest of the container is almost the same as ready-made plastic pools. It is only required to carry out a small cosmetic repair and treatment with an anti-corrosion compound.
The inside of the container is covered with waterproof paint or tiled with any suitable tile.
Preparation and calculation of the structure
An old tire and wooden pallets are the most affordable material for creating a do-it-yourself pool. Based on this, we will calculate the volume of the container based on the overall dimensions and the number of pallets.
Other models and their sizes can be seen in the table in the photo below.
Outside diameter and width of the pool cover
To calculate the volume of the future pool, we will use a simple formula: V = π * r 2 * h, where V is the volume of a container in the form of a cylinder, π is a constant (3.14), r is the radius of the circle, h is the width of the tire.
Let us carry out the calculation for the FT-117M2 tire, the width of which is 1175 mm and the diameter is 3575 mm. The total thickness of the sand-concrete cushion will be 30 cm.
The sequence of calculations is as follows:
- According to the initial data, the radius of the tire will be: 3575/2 = 1.7875 mm.
- We substitute the data into the formula and calculate the volume of the structure: 3.14 * 1.7875 2 * 1.175 = 13.1899 or 13.19 m 3.
- Similar actions to calculate the volume of sand and cement: 3.14 * 1.7875 2 * 0.15 = 1.6838 or 1.68 m 3.
Other finishing materials are selected individually according to taste and design project, if such was previously drawn up.
Wooden pallets are manufactured in accordance with GOST and have dimensions 800 × 1200 mm. Knowing the dimensions of the pallet, you can calculate the volume of the pool of almost any shape. Since we advised using at least 9 pallets, we will carry out the calculation for the pool in the form of a nine-sided shape.
Dimensions of a standard wooden pallet
To do this, we will use the standard formula for calculating the volume: V - S o * h, where S o is the base area, and h is the height of the pallet. The formula for the area of a nine-sided is: S о = 6.18182 * a 2, where a is the side of the hexagon, which in our case is equal to the height of the pallet.
The sequence of calculations in the following order:
- We calculate the area of the base: 6.18182 * 1.2 2 = 14.8363.
- Pool volume: 14.8363 * 0.8 = 11.869 m 3.
If the pallets are located in height, then 0.8 m should be substituted in the first formula instead of 1.2 m. We do the same with the second formula. In this case, the pool will turn out deeper, but slightly decrease in diameter.
Tools and accessories
To build a pool from an old tire, you will need the following tool:
- A sharp knife with a sturdy blade.
- Shovel and bayonet shovel.
- Capacity for mixing cement-sand mixture.
- Construction mixer or drill with appropriate attachment.
- Roulette and bubble level.
For mixing a large volume of mortar, it is better to use a concrete mixer. This will significantly speed up the work process.
Using a concrete mixer will allow you to get a better concrete mix for pouring the base
To build a pool from pallets, you will need the following:
- Hammer and screwdriver.
- Electric jigsaw, planer and grinder.
- Pliers, screws and nails.
- Shovel and bayonet shovel.
- Containers for sand, cement and water.
- Roulette, square and pencil.
The jigsaw can be replaced with a regular wood hacksaw, and the sander can be replaced with sandpaper. This will practically not affect the final result.
How to make a pool from a tire
Before performing the work, it is imperative to carry out the primary clearing of the site. You will need to remove old foliage, branches, uproot sprouting bushes, etc. To transfer the tire to the work site, you will need the help of a partner.
The sequence for constructing a pool from a large bus is as follows:
We turn the tire to one side. Using a knife, you need to cut the side part around the circumference. When cutting, you should be guided by the markings applied to the tire. This will simplify the cutting process and produce a clean cut. Using a grinder is not recommended, as the rubber will quickly crumble and stick to the disc.
The tire must be filled with water before cutting
Further, the site is being prepared for arranging the sandy flooring. This can be done in two ways. In the first case, we remove the soil layer to a depth of 25-30 cm. The base area should be slightly larger than the tire diameter. Carefully level the base of the pit and fill in fine-grained sand. The layer thickness is 15 cm. Then we slightly moisten the sand with a small amount of water and tamp it with a shovel.
When cutting the top piece of rubber, you should be guided by the markings along the contour
- In the second case, you do not need to dig a depression. It is enough to level the piece of land well on which sand will be poured. Further compaction technology is similar. We recommend using the first method, since a similar method is used to build a blind area and allows you to create a more solid foundation.
On the compacted sand, it will be necessary to pour a layer of concrete mortar with a thickness of at least 15 cm. For this, ready-made mixtures of the M300 brand and higher are used. With self-mixing, the proportion of cement to sand is 1: 3. The amount of water affects the ease of installation and distribution of the solution.
After removing the top part, the tire is transferred to the concrete base
While the solution is wet, you need to transfer the tire to the pouring point. After installation, the tire is slightly pressed into the solution. Another 2-3 buckets of mixture should be poured into the void between the concrete solution and the tire.
Ordinary stone or tile is used to finish the tire
- You can start decorating the pool and wait for the mixture to dry. After 14 days, the concrete layer will gain 80% of its strength. Complete drying of concrete occurs within 25–28 days.
To decorate such a pool, paint for outdoor use, decorative stone, pieces of tiles are used. It is better to coat the inside of the tire with a waterproof paint before filling with water.
Arrangement of the pool from plastic bottles
In addition to cement and sand, you will need to prepare wooden planks, small blocks and gravel to create a bottle pool. The size of the bar is 25 × 50 mm. Gravel fraction - 5/20. The length of the board should be equal to the length of the base, where the sand and gravel cushion will be filled.
The sequence of actions for creating a pool from bottles is as follows:
- The selected area should be cleaned of debris and branches. Further, you will need to remove the top layer of sod and dig a pit to a depth of 30 cm. The dimensions of the pit should be larger than the pool by 20-30 cm on each side. For example, for a pool with sides of three meters, a pit measuring 330 × 330 cm is suitable.
Formwork is being installed. To do this, the bars should be sharpened at the end with an ax. A block is nailed to the board every 100–120 cm. A metal corner for furniture is used to fasten the boards into a frame. For example, a corner marked 40 * 40 * 16 is suitable.
Formwork ready for pouring concrete mix
- The formwork is installed in a dug pit. The base of the dug groove is leveled and slightly rammed. If necessary, the soil can be treated with an antiseptic to kill weeds. After that, a layer of sand and gravel with a thickness of 12-15 cm is backfilled.
If there is no gravel, then you will need to lay a reinforcing mesh assembled from reinforcement rods. To do this, the rods are knitted using ordinary wire. The frame is installed so that the reinforcement does not touch the sand. Installation on a pre-laid stone or brick is allowed.
Plastic containers are stacked on fresh cement mix
- Before pouring concrete, the location of the drain hole should be provided. It is better to use a finished product to drain the water. The pipe is attached to the fittings. In the process of filling, it will need to be straightened relative to the upper plane.
The concrete solution is being poured.
Optimum pool height 100-150 cm
In this case, it is better to use a concrete mixer, since 1.5–2 m 3 of concrete will be required for large bases. In the process of pouring, concrete is necessarily compacted with a wooden lath or a shovel.
After pouring the base, you should wait at least 14-18 days and only then start laying the walls of the pool. For masonry, you will need to pull the mooring cord, fixing it on bricks and any other material. The thread is pulled strictly along the perimeter of the future pool.
The inner surface of the walls should be plastered and covered with waterproof paint
- The cement-sand mortar is laid out along a stretched landmark. A plastic container filled with sand is placed on a fresh solution. The bottles are tied together with a wire with a cross section of 3 mm. The process of work is similar to laying a brick. Laying the first row continues until the base of all four walls is complete. After they move on to laying the second and subsequent rows. The optimal wall height is 100–150 cm.
At the end of the work, you need to finish the interior of the pool. To do this, all cracks and voids are covered with a cement mixture until a flat surface is formed. If the layer of cement is more than 3 cm, then it is better to use a reinforcing mesh, which is attached to the bottom of the bottle with self-tapping screws.
The front side of the pool walls is finished in a similar way. As a protective and decorative coating for interior walls, waterproof pool paint is used, which is applied with a roller in 1-2 layers. After painting, wait at least 5 days.
Instructions for creating a pool from pallets with your own hands
To create a pool from pallets, you will need to purchase a wood preservative, PVC film and a drain pipe of any convenient shape.
The process of constructing such a pool consists of the following stages:
Wooden pallets must be treated with an antiseptic or antifungal impregnation 1-2 times.
Before assembly, wooden pallets must be covered with an antiseptic
- Depending on the shape of the pool, it is necessary to dig a pit 30 cm deep. We carried out calculations for a pool of 9 pallets, then the pit will have a round shape. The size of the pit should be slightly larger than the diameter of the pool itself.
A layer of 5/20 gravel should be covered at the bottom of the pit and evenly distributed over the surface. The thickness of the layer is no more than 20 cm. Further, the frame of the future container is assembled inside the pit. Pallets are mounted with plank decking inside. For connection, metal corners, boards and screws are used.
For strengthening the frame is pulled together with a lashing strap
The drain pipe is connected. For this, a hole is cut in the frame, through which the pipe is threaded with a drain to the outside. After that, it is necessary to strengthen the structure with 2-3 tie belts.
PVC film is fixed at the top of the pallet
Wooden wedges from the bars are driven in around the circumference every 30–50 cm. This will further strengthen the structure. A layer of concrete mixture with a thickness of 10-15 cm is poured. The rule is used for leveling.
Pool decoration with reed
- Drying of the concrete layer will occur in 25-28 days, but further work can be performed within 10-14 days from the moment of pouring. To cover the inner surface, PVC film is used, which is fixed at the top of the pallet.
The outside of the pool can be lined with particle board or moisture resistant plywood.
Related video: Homemade pool in the country
Care and maintenance tips
Water in artificial reservoirs quickly becomes polluted and can become a favorable environment for the development of harmful bacteria. In addition, fallen leaves, tree branches and dust constantly get into the outdoor pool.
The water in such a container should be changed 2-3 times a week. For example, use for watering crops and other plants.
Pool sand filter with pump
To purify water in large pools, the following methods are used:
- Physical cleaning - cleaning of large and small debris with a brush. Internal surface cleaning with a brush and vacuum cleaner. Continuous cleaning with water filter.
- Chemical treatment - carried out using special substances. As a result, the water is disinfected and the pH level is normalized. Exposure to chemicals removes the smallest particles of fat and inhibits the development of algae.
- Electrophysical disinfection - the use of ozonizers and equipment for enriching water with silver ions. Ultraviolet lamps can be used to purify and filter the water, which disinfect the water by killing germs and mold spores.
The easiest way to purify water is with a water filter. There are three types of systems with varying degrees of filtration. A sand filtering unit based on finely crushed quartz purifies water, removing harmful elements up to 20 microns in size.
The cartridge filter pump is suitable for medium-sized pools with diameters no higher than 3.6–4 m. Such filters are equipped with a system for purifying water from harmful particles up to 10 microns in size and a special valve for removing fine debris.
Diatomite filters are modern systems for highly efficient water filtration. Fossil powder, mountain flour, diatomaceous earth, etc. are used as a cleaning element. Such particles retain the smallest particles up to 1 micrometer in size.
Preparations based on chlorine, bromine and active oxygen are used as substances for chemical treatment. Chloride preparations are very effective, but require adherence to dosage. If the norm is exceeded, there is a high risk of poisoning and damage to the skin.
Bromine-based formulations are odorless and safer. Disinfection with active oxygen is the most convenient and safe for health. The agent is added to the water immediately after filling the pool according to the total volume of liquid.
Photo: pools of various designs from scrap materials
Pallet pool with diving platform
Homemade pool lined with wooden wicker mesh
Pool with reinforced walls in the ground
Pool from an old container
Pool made of bricks, covered with PVC mat
Creating a pool from scrap materials is laborious but doable work, even for people with no experience in construction. The result is a unique, custom-designed bathing area that will delight children and help adults relax.
Popular by topic
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
A step-by-step recipe for making apple wine at home. Necessary products, tools. Features of making wine, recommendations