Table of contents:
- How to get rid of wood lice in an apartment by industrial means and folk methods
- What woodlice that live in apartments and houses look like
- Where woodlice are most often found
- Dangerous neighbors for humans and pets
- We destroy the invasion of insects: where to start the fight
- How to kill wood lice: means of industrial production
- Folk ways to help get rid of wood lice
- How to make baits and traps yourself
- Rating of the most popular funds
- A way to get rid of insects forever: professional disinfection
- Prevention of the appearance of wood lice in an apartment and a private house
How to get rid of wood lice in an apartment by industrial means and folk methods
Woodlice, small creatures belonging to the order of crustaceans, are unwanted guests of some houses. They choose premises with a high level of humidity, which have all the necessary conditions for their comfortable living. Having noticed woodlice, it is advisable to try to get rid of them as soon as possible.
- 1 What woodlice that live in apartments and houses look like
2 Where woodlice are most often found
2.1 Where and why they can appear
- 3 Dangerous neighbors for humans and pets
- 4 We destroy the invasion of insects: where to start the fight
5 How to kill wood lice: means of industrial production
- 5.1 Insecticidal aerosols
- 5.2 Concentrated sprays
- 5.3 Insecticidal powders
- 5.4 Crayons
- 5.5 Sticky insect traps
- 5.6 Fumigator
- 5.7 How you can poison wood lice: industrial products in the photo
6 Folk ways to help get rid of wood lice
- 6.1 The most popular method is boric acid spraying
- 6.2 Economical method of destruction - dry kvass
- 6.3 Fighting insects with soda and pepper
- 6.4 Method suitable for basement, cellar or garage
- 6.5 How to poison wood lice in the bathroom and toilet - video
- 7 How to make baits and traps yourself
8 Rating of the most popular funds
- 8.1 Popular means to kill insects in different rooms - gallery
- 8.2 Reviews of the means by which it is better to destroy wood lice
- 9 A way to get rid of insects forever: professional disinfection
- 10 Prevention of the appearance of wood lice in an apartment and a private house
What woodlice that live in apartments and houses look like
Woodlice are different. The most common wood lice and rough wood lice are found in our homes. They have an elongated body, divided into several segments, each of which has a pair of legs. An adult wood louse can reach a length of 20 mm.
Woodlice reproduce quickly enough, laying eggs.
The most famous species is the common woodlouse (Armadillidium vulgare). She has a dark body color and a tall shell. Favorite habitats are wet basements and cellars of private houses. At the slightest disturbance, this species of woodlice curls up into a miniature ball.
Common woodlice settles in damp basements or cellars of houses
The second most common type is the rough wood louse (Porcellio scaber). She settles mainly in apartments. Distinctive features of this variety:
- carapace with red tint;
- the ability to crawl quickly;
lack of ability to roll up into a ball.
Woodlice rough likes to settle in apartments with high humidity
Penetrating into houses and greenhouses, woodlice can cause decent damage to agricultural products. For this reason, they are unwanted guests not only in apartments, but also on farms, orchards and vegetable gardens.
Where woodlice are most often found
Owners of housing in which woodlice have settled often ask themselves: where and why do they come from? In living quarters, pests appear, moving from basements and attics. One of the favorite places for wood lice is the bathroom. And also they can start in the kitchen, balcony, toilet and sometimes in a cavity under stretch ceilings.
Where and why they can appear
The main factor in the appearance of wood lice in the house is the presence of dampness necessary for their existence. In addition, insects are attracted by the ability to eat plentifully. As food they use:
- rotting vegetables or fruits;
- trash can with food debris;
- flowers and soil with the right level of moisture.
Nibbled leaves and stems of indoor plants can also indicate the presence of these small pests in your home.
Woodlice are often chosen as a place of residence for flower pots due to high humidity.
Dangerous neighbors for humans and pets
Unlike many species of insects that inhabit human dwellings, wood lice do not bite and thus do not cause physical discomfort to either people or animals. However, getting into apartments from basements, from the street or attic, they are carriers of many dangerous diseases, and are also distributors of fungi and lichens. In addition, the appearance of these creatures causes disgust. For this reason, it is imperative to deal with uninvited guests.
We destroy the invasion of insects: where to start the fight
Woodlice extermination is difficult. If you want to get rid of insects in the house on your own, provide an integrated approach to solving this problem.
Perform a general cleaning, after which try to reduce the moisture level by using desiccants, air conditioners or fans.
The moisture-absorbing device reduces the level of humidity in the apartment, creating unfavorable conditions for the life of wood lice
Repair any device that leaks water.
Replacing leaking pipes in an apartment is a mandatory step in the fight against wood lice
Pay attention to the flower pots. It is quite possible that a plant transplant will be needed in order to replace the soil affected by wood lice.
A transplant of domestic plants is done in order to replace the soil affected by wood lice
Protect your home from the penetration of wood lice from the outside. To do this, fit the ventilation holes with a fine mesh.
The ventilation mesh with a fine mesh will not allow wood lice to re-enter the room
Repair cracks in ceilings and walls, and remove gaps around water and sewer risers. You can cope with this task using polyurethane foam.
Use polyurethane foam to seal all openings through which insects can enter
Then you can begin to destroy the pests that have already settled in the apartment.
How to kill wood lice: means of industrial production
To get rid of wood lice, modern means designed for baiting various types of insects are excellent. There are several types of similar substances currently on the market:
- insecticidal aerosols;
- spray concentrates;
- insecticidal crayons (pencils);
- sticky traps;
- ultrasonic scarers.
These include a variety of Dichlorvos, Clean House aerosol, Raptor for crawling insects, Combat Superspray. However, these substances are useful only when treating certain areas in which large accumulations of wood lice are observed. These drugs will not work to get rid of the whole house or basement.
The most popular products are Delta Zone, Taran, Ksulat Miko, Tetrixi, Cucaracha, Get. With their help, the premises are processed by many representatives of disinfection services. Using these preparations, you can kill wood lice over large areas.
These preparations (Riapan, dust from insects Clean House, Fenaxin) are intended for scattering around the perimeter of the premises. The effectiveness of the powders is not very high, since not all wood lice prefer to move on the floor. For this reason, their use is advisable only as additional control measures.
Such products are ideal for use on vertical surfaces, while wood lice are more susceptible to attack: a large amount of poisonous substance adheres to their shell. Crayons and pencils are great barriers that can be used to treat areas around where insects enter your apartment.
Sticky insect traps
This option is suitable as a prophylaxis and is not used as a primary means. With the help of sticky traps, you can catch single individuals, but this will not solve the problem of destroying all wood lice that have settled in the house.
While fumigators are traditionally used against flying insects, they can also be used to combat woodlice infestations. As practice shows, these devices are very effective and allow you to get rid of annoying crustaceans with regular use.
How to poison wood lice: industrial means in the photo
Insecticidal powders can only be used as additional measures to control woodlice
Among all industrial products, sprays are best suited for killing wood lice.
Insect crayons help to protect the home from the reappearance of wood lice
Insect gels can destroy only a small part of the woodlice population in the house
Insect traps, like sticky gels, remove only a small part of the insects that have settled in the house.
Fumigator is an effective means of fighting wood lice
An ultrasonic insect repeller is useless, it has no effect on wood lice
Ultrasonic repellents have the least efficiency in the fight against wood lice, the use of which gives practically no results.
The use of chemicals gives results only after preliminary preparation of the apartment, which involves blocking access to wood lice from external sources. Otherwise, processing will be required more than once.
When choosing and using a chemical agent to kill insects, follow the basic rules:
- when studying the product on the counter, pay attention to the level of its safety for people and animals, as well as to the absence of unpleasant odors;
- read the instructions carefully before using the drug. Use respirators and rubber gloves if necessary to avoid poisoning.
Folk ways to help get rid of wood lice
There are many folk remedies for fighting woodlice. They have a certain level of effectiveness as well as safety for pets and children.
The most popular method is boric acid spraying
One of the most common methods is spraying boric acid solution in places where woodlice accumulate. With this tool, you can destroy a certain number of insects, but multiple treatment of the room will be required.
Boric acid powder diluted with water is a good way to get rid of wood lice
An economical way of destruction - dry kvass
Dry kvass can be purchased at the store. Its smell scares off woodlice, forcing them to leave the room.
- Take 0.5 liters of boiling water and dissolve 100 g of dry kvass in it.
- Spray this solution in the bathroom, toilet, along crevices, on shelves, corners and on the floor.
- Close the room for 8-10 hours.
- After the specified time, rinse off the solution with a cloth and clean water.
A solution based on dry kvass scares woodlice
We fight insects with soda and pepper
Baking soda and pepper are toxic to woodlice. Getting on the shell, the solution destroys it, leading to the death of the insect.
- Dissolve 3 g of soda and 3 g of red pepper powder in 1 liter of cold water.
- Treat the places where pests accumulate with the resulting solution.
A solution of baking soda and pepper destroys the shell of woodlice, leading to their death
Method suitable for basement, cellar or garage
Take salt and scatter it on the floor and in the corners of the room affected by wood lice. You can also prepare a saline solution and spray it on surfaces. Using this method, you will be able to drive uninvited guests out of your apartment, basement or garage.
Salt scattered in corners and on the floor makes wood lice leave the room
How to poison wood lice in the bathroom and toilet - video
How to make baits and traps yourself
In order to kill woodlice, you can use homemade traps.
- Take a birch broom or a regular rag.
- Wet thoroughly and leave in the corner of the room overnight.
- In the morning, take this item out of the house and shake out the wood lice.
If wood lice have chosen a flower pot:
- take raw potatoes or carrots and, after cutting out the core, place them near the houseplants;
- in the morning, discard the bait along with the wood lice that have climbed inside.
Rating of the most popular funds
According to the estimates of the majority of Internet users, among the specialized means for getting rid of wood lice in residential premises, the most effective are:
- tarax - a universal drug against insects;
- Scabengel gel bait. The substance is easily applied to any surface, does not have a pungent odor and allows you to reduce the number of wood lice in a few days. The main advantages of the drug are ease of use and high efficiency;
- new generation dichlorvos "Varan", odorless and safe for people and pets;
- Get - a liquid concentrate, as well as an analogue of this drug, produced under the name "Master";
- tetrix is a potent remedy that contains cypermethrin, which allows you to get rid of wood lice for more than 70 days. This drug is very toxic, but it is a guarantee of high results in the fight against any insects. Its use assumes compliance with the precautions detailed in the instructions.
Popular means to kill insects in different rooms - gallery
Tarax is an effective insect killer
Scabengel gel bait is popular with users for its ease of use and high efficiency
Dichlorvos "Varan" is harmless to people and pets
The Get drug has worked well in the fight against wood lice
Tetrix is the most effective drug that relieves wood lice for a long time
Reviews of the means by which it is better to destroy wood lice
A way to get rid of insects forever: professional disinfection
If you live in an apartment building, and the use of different methods of dealing with wood lice does not bring the desired results, you can use the services of specialized companies that disinfect the premises.
Professional disinfection of the apartment helps to get rid of harmful insects forever
Ordering a service has the following advantages:
- such services use drugs that are safe for people and pets;
- the disinfection procedure is very effective. After processing, woodlice will not appear in your home for the longest possible period;
- the use of special equipment allows you to neutralize hard-to-reach areas of the apartment;
- in the case of the return of pests before the guaranteed period, the companies provide re-treatment for free.
By the time the disinfector arrives, it is necessary to move the furniture, and after processing, you will have to carry out a general cleaning.
Prevention of the appearance of wood lice in an apartment and a private house
So that after all the efforts made, woodlice do not again take possession of your home, follow simple preventive measures.
- Ensure compliance with hygiene standards.
- Prevent moisture accumulation in rooms.
- Keep a close eye on the flowerpots with indoor plants and promptly clean the trays from accumulated soil particles.
- Empty the trash can in time.
- Monitor the condition of the plumbing and eliminate the causes of water leaks in time.
- Dry your laundry outdoors whenever possible.
Getting rid of the invasion of woodlice in an apartment is a difficult task. Using a variety of methods, you can achieve the desired result. The choice of drugs to deal with these unexpected guests is quite large: from chemicals to folk recipes.