Table of contents:
- How to quickly and easily peel peanuts from shells and husks and how to store them properly at home
- How to store peanuts at home
- How to quickly and easily peel peanuts from shells and husks
- Is it necessary to peel peanuts
Video: How To Clean Peanuts From Husks And Shells, How To Store Them At Home + Video And Photos
How to quickly and easily peel peanuts from shells and husks and how to store them properly at home
Brazil is considered the birthplace of peanuts, but it is popular in other countries as well. This product is widely used in the confectionery and bakery industries. The oil extracted from its nucleoli has properties typical of olive, but is affordable. Therefore, many people want to stock up on this healthy and tasty nut for future use. And for this you need to know how to quickly clean it from husks and shells and store it properly at home.
How to store peanuts at home
The key to successful and long-term storage of peanuts is their correct choice when purchasing.
If you prefer a refined product, pay attention to the aroma. It should be pleasant, with notes characteristic of this particular type of nut. The oil in the kernels will turn rancid over time and the smell will change.
High quality peeled peanuts have a pleasant smell
- The nuts must be free of mold.
- Try peanuts before buying. If you find a damaged copy, refuse to purchase the goods from this seller, since the whole batch may be the same.
Inshell peanuts have a longer shelf life than fully shelled peanuts.
Inshell peanuts have a longer shelf life
- When preparing peanuts for storage, remove any spoiled kernels and debris.
- You should not immediately purchase a large number of nuts, since even with proper storage, after a year their taste will change. The optimal amount for purchase will be the volume that you plan to consume within two or three months.
Video: how to choose the right peanuts
Where and how much nuts can be stored
For storing peanuts at home, containers with lids (ceramic containers, glass jars) and cloth bags are used.
It is advisable to pre-sterilize and dry glass jars. Before packing in a container, the nuts must be heated in an oven at a temperature of 50 ° C for 10 minutes. This will prevent them from suffocating in the jars during storage.
Glass jars with lids are great for storing peanuts
To preserve the beneficial properties of peanuts, cloth bags are also suitable, but they have a shorter shelf life than glass containers.
It is convenient to store nuts in a fabric bag
- Opened peanuts cannot be stored at room temperature. You should not put it in the refrigerator, where the nucleoli can absorb the aromas of various dishes and products. You can freeze the nuts if needed.
- Due to the abundant release of oil, crushed peanuts are almost impossible to preserve.
- Do not keep sweet, salty and roasted peanuts for a long time. Its shelf life cannot exceed two weeks.
- If the smell and taste of the nuts has changed, a plaque has formed on their surface, such a product must absolutely not be eaten, as it is dangerous to health.
Shelf life of peanuts:
- in the shell can be stored for 12 months at a cool temperature and out of direct sunlight, for example, on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator;
- peeled nuts retain their freshness and taste only for 6-9 months;
- peanuts can be kept in the refrigerator for no more than 4–6 months, and they should not be stored in the freezer for more than 9 months.
How to quickly and easily peel peanuts from shells and husks
Peeling peanuts from the shell is a simple task.
- Place a small amount of nuts in a bag.
- Take a rolling pin and run it over the bag, not pressing hard so as not to crush the kernels.
- Select the nucleoli from the shell debris and proceed to clean up the next batch.
A rolling pin will help you quickly cope with peeling peanuts from the shell
Peeling a raw nut
Peeled peanuts are covered with brown husks, which must also be removed before using the nuts in culinary dishes.
- Place the peeled nuts in a deep container.
- Pour boiling water over them and wait 10 minutes
- The swollen peel will easily separate from the nucleoli.
Video: how to peel peanuts
Peeling roasted nuts from the shell
If you are a fan of roasted peanuts, use the following dehulling methods.
Frying in a pan
- Take a frying pan and heat over a fire, pour in the nuts, which have been shelled.
- Stir them with a spatula and do not leave them unattended for a minute. During the frying process, the nuts will change their original color to light beige.
- Remove from heat, cool, and then remove the skin by hand.
Frying unpeeled nuts in a pan will help get rid of the husk
Heating in the oven
- Preheat oven to 200 ° C.
- Place the peanuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Then remove the nuts, cool and separate the kernels from the husks.
Peanuts are cleaned quickly and easily after heating in the oven
How to peel a large batch of peanuts
If you need to peel large quantities of peanuts, the following method will help you save time.
Get a vegetable storage net.
Vegetable storage net to help peanuts
- Fry the nuts in a dry skillet until light beige.
- Remove the pan from the stove and cool the contents.
- Fold the net several times and place the cooled nuts in it, tie in the form of a bag.
- Place the nuts on a tray and knead the mesh as if you were kneading dough.
- After 30 seconds of such manipulations, all the husks will leave the nuts and will be on the tray, pouring out through the mesh cells. There will be clean peanuts inside the bag, ready to eat.
Video: how to quickly peel peanuts
Is it necessary to peel peanuts
Unpeeled peanuts can also be consumed in small quantities, as they are very useful for people trying to lose weight. It compensates for the absence of animal fats. However, it is unpeeled peanuts that are a strong allergen, which should not be joked with. Plus, large amounts of unpeeled peanuts can lead to stomach problems.
Using simple tips, you can easily peel any amount of peanuts and ensure proper storage. With these healthy nuts on hand, you can prepare many original culinary dishes with exquisite taste at any time.