Table of contents:
- DIY natural air fresheners for home and car
- Why is it necessary to create do-it-yourself air fresheners
- Options for creating natural air fresheners for your home
- Car air fresheners
- How long do homemade "odors" last and for what area they are enough
DIY natural air fresheners for home and car
The problem of unpleasant air in the room is familiar to everyone, but you really want the house to smell fresh. Today the choice of air fresheners and fragrances is huge. Store shelves are full of different aerosols, sprays, crystals and bottles with odorous liquid and gel for different tastes and wallets. But, despite all this variety, there is often a desire to make a freshener with your own hands.
- 1 Why does it become necessary to create do-it-yourself air fresheners
2 Options for creating natural air fresheners for your home
2.1 Flavors for the apartment
- 2.1.1 DIY gel air freshener made from gelatin and essential oils
- 2.1.2 Soda freshener
- 2.1.3 Salt and Petal Flavor
- 2.1.4 Freshener in a spray bottle with essential oils
- 2.1.5 Baby Body Oil Fragrance
- 2.1.6 Fragrance with the scent of your favorite perfume
- 2.1.7 Video: how to make a freshener from your favorite perfume
- 2.1.8 Citrus flavor for the kitchen
2.2 Toilet flavor
- 2.2.1 Toilet bombs 3 in 1
- 2.2.2 Toilet tablets 3 in 1
- 2.2.3 Video: how to make do-it-yourself toilet freshener tablets
- 2.2.4 Toilet block freshener 3 in 1
- 2.2.5 Toilet Block Gel Freshener
- 2.2.6 The simplest bathroom freshener
3 Car air fresheners
- 3.1 Scented sachet
- 3.2 Gel Car Fragrance
3.3 Hanging fabric auto-fragrance
3.3.1 Video: how to make a car fragrance from fabric and in the form of a sachet
- 4 How long do homemade "odors" last and for what area they are enough
Why is it necessary to create do-it-yourself air fresheners
Everyone who cares even a little about the health of their loved ones, the question arises: "How do all these fresheners and" odors "affect the human body?" After all, I want not only to surround myself with pleasant smells, but also to be sure of their safety. This is especially true for young children and allergy sufferers.
Therefore, the most correct option would be to make air fresheners and fragrances with your own hands from harmless and even useful ingredients. There are many options, and even a child can cook them.
This is how natural home air fresheners can look "delicious"
Options for creating natural air fresheners for your home
Consider different options for homemade air fresheners for the living room, bedroom, hallway, kitchen, bathroom and toilet, as well as learn how to make "odors" for car interiors. And most importantly - do it yourself and only from environmentally friendly and healthy ingredients.
Flavors for the apartment
To make your own air freshener, you'll need your favorite essential oils, strong-scented dried flowers, dried citrus peels, fragrant plant twigs, and even some spices. Since even such a natural ingredient as essential oil can cause allergies, we strongly recommend that you first make sure that the aroma of a particular plant is tolerable.
DIY gel air freshener made from gelatin and essential oils
The most "long-lasting" air freshener. To decorate and enhance the aroma, you can safely use dried flowers, for example a violet, rose or peony, dried citrus peels, as well as various beads, pebbles, shells and ribbons for decoration. Also, take care of a beautiful vase or jar that will contain the fragrance.
So, you will need:
- boiling water - 1 glass;
- gelatin - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- glycerin - 1-1.5 tbsp. spoons;
- food coloring - 1/3 teaspoon;
- essential oil.
You don't need expensive ingredients to make a homemade gel freshener
Gelatin is needed to create a gel-like consistency, and glycerin will prevent the fragrance from drying out quickly. The food coloring will give the resulting gel a beautiful color. You can also add a cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground if you like the smell. You will need a little oil, only 5-10 drops for a moderate aroma and 15-20 for a stronger and more intense one.
After you have prepared a suitable container and all the ingredients, proceed to action.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and remove from heat.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water and cool slightly.
- Add dye.
- Add cinnamon (optional).
- Pour in glycerin.
- Add essential oil.
- Pour the resulting liquid into a container.
- Put decorative items, flowers, peels, aromatic herbs.
- Leave to cool for 2–2.5 hours.
Here is such a pretty "jelly" if you add dyes of blue, green and orange colors
After the freshener hardens, it turns into a dense jelly. Of course, you can leave everything as it is, but we advise you to connect your imagination and decorate the jar. This will create a fragrant home decor that will not only give a unique aroma to the room, but also decorate it.
You can extend the life of the air freshener if you notice the gel starts to dry out. Lubricate the surface of the gel with a few drops of essential oil and glycerin, and it will delight you with a fresh scent for a long time.
Also, in order to preserve its freshness for a long time, it is advised to pour sugar on top, which "preserves" the contents, but at the same time will let the aroma pass.
A very simple freshener option. You will need:
- a small glass or plastic jar with a lid (250 ml);
- soda - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- essential oil - 30-40 drops;
- stationery gum.
Unlike gel, this flavoring will take a few minutes to prepare. Do the following:
- pour soda into a container;
- measure out 30-40 drops of any essential oil;
- mix baking soda with oil until smooth;
- pull a piece of foil over the neck of the container and secure with an elastic band;
- use a toothpick to make many holes in the foil;
- cut the ends of the foil in a circle;
- close the container with a lid.
Soda freshener is simple in appearance, but very fragrant
For this version of the freshener, no food coloring was needed, since each essential oil has its own color, although if you wish, you can "tint" the soda and even add flower petals there. Due to the large amount of oil, such a fragrance can have a rather concentrated smell, so we do not recommend keeping it open all the time. You can experiment with the amount of oil, and if you use a container made of flexible plastic, then with a few taps, the fluids will penetrate through the holes into the room and fill it with fragrance and freshness.
Salt and Petal Fragrance
For this option, we will "can" beautifully smelling flowers, petals and aromatic herbs.
In addition to flowers and herbs, you will need:
- glass jar with a screw cap;
- ordinary kitchen salt - approximately 500 g, but less will be needed;
- alcohol or vodka - 50 ml;
- a few drops of essential oil - optional.
Eco-friendly and safe air freshener with salt
When you have prepared all the components, you can get to work.
- Sprinkle flowers on the bottom of the jar - 1-1.5 cm.
- Cover the flowers with salt in one layer.
- Alternate flowers and salt until the top is about 1 inch (2.5 cm) away.
- Add alcohol and close the jar tightly with the lid.
- Shake well so that the entire contents are saturated with alcohol.
- Place in a dark place and do not open for 2 weeks.
- Shake the jar every few days.
- After 2 weeks, open the jar and pour the fragrant mixture into any container.
Don't worry about the smell of alcohol. The characteristic smell will quickly disappear, and the magical scent of flowers will fill the room. Vases, bowls, glasses can be used as a container for the flavoring agent.
The only drawback of this fragrance option is that you have to wait for two whole weeks, but then your home will be filled with garden scents for a long time.
Freshener in a spray bottle with essential oils
The simplest version of a freshener that will help refresh and fill the air with aromas in a matter of seconds at the right time. You will need:
- essential oils;
- clean water (preferably distilled);
- conventional spray bottle.
You can use a spray from an old cosmetic product (for example, a hair spray) or from an out-of-pocket air freshener. If you are using an old spray, be sure to wash it well. You will choose the amount of essential oil yourself, focusing on your own sense of smell and the size of the container. For half a liter of water, we suggest taking 10 drops of oil, and then proceed at your own discretion. You will need just enough water to shake the bottle before use.
Such a freshener is suitable for any room in the house: living room, bedroom, kitchen and even bathroom. You can buy multiple diffusers and make a fragrance for each room by adding different fragrance oils. For the hallway, you can take rosemary or cedar essential oil, for the living room - orange, grapefruit, ylang-ylang; for the bedroom - lavender or patchouli. In the bathroom and toilet, feel free to use spruce, cedar or lemon oil, and in the kitchen - orange, geranium, and mint oils.
Use your favorite essential oil to make a wonderful home freshener.
Baby Body Oil Fragrance
You will need the following ingredients:
- baby body oil - 150-200 ml;
- vodka - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- essential oil 5-10 drops;
- wooden skewers;
- glass vase;
- decor as desired.
Oil, unlike water, practically does not evaporate. This fact is of great importance, since this flavor variant will be "open". As for wooden skewers, wood is known to be able to absorb liquid and aromas.
Regarding the capacity, you will need a transparent vase with a wide neck, and since it will also act as a decor, take care of decorative stones, balls, ribbons and other decorations.
So, let's get down to business:
- pour baby oil into a vase;
- add vodka and essential oil;
- mix everything well;
- dip the skewers into the vase - the more, the better;
- turn the sticks over after 3 hours and your freshener is ready.
While the sticks are absorbing the "odors", you can start decorating the vase. After 2-3 hours, the skewers will be completely nourished and then they will exude a magical aroma for a long time.
This homemade room fragrance will last at least 3 weeks. All you need is to periodically turn the skewers over.
"Liquid" room fresheners can also act as a decor
Fragrance with the scent of your favorite perfume
Everyone has a perfume that is running out, or an empty bottle that still exudes a subtle smell and therefore it is a pity to throw it away. We offer to give a new life to your favorite scent. You will need:
- perfume bottle;
- small scissors;
- distilled or boiled water;
- wooden culinary skewers;
We only need a bottle, so we will have to remove the spray with old scissors. It is advisable to sterilize the skewers in boiling water. Using a syringe, fill the bottle with water by one quarter and insert wooden sticks into the neck. The intensity and duration of the scent will depend on the quality of the perfume itself or eau de parfum. Since the neck in perfume bottles is narrow, the liquid will evaporate very slowly and such a fragrance will last for a long time.
The appearance of the fragrance will depend on the beauty of the bottle.
Video: how to make a freshener from your favorite perfume
Citrus flavor for the kitchen
Unfortunately, there are also bad smells in the kitchen. A citrus freshener in a spray bottle will help eliminate the smell from escaped milk or burnt dinner. You will need:
- vodka - 200 ml;
- orange, lemon - 1 pc.;
- water - boiled or distilled;
- orange oil - 3-4 drops.
You only need fruit peels, so you can eat the pulp for health.
Citrus peels are ideal for making a kitchen freshener
After you have separated the pulp from the skin and cut the last into strips, you can start preparing the freshener.
- Place half of the crusts in a spray bottle.
- Hide the rest of the crusts in the refrigerator.
- Fill the contents with vodka.
- Place the spray bottle in a dark place and let the contents steep for 2 days.
- Open the bottle.
- Add essential oil.
- Throw in the rest of the crusts and add water.
- Shake the bottle well.
An important ingredient in citrus freshener is vodka or alcohol
When you see that the freshener runs out, then feel free to start preparing a new one. By the way, any clean container or bottle is useful for this.
To maintain a constant pleasant and fresh smell in the toilet and bathroom, you can use any of the above options. We advise you to choose not only those essential oils that you just like, but also those that can kill bacteria and fungi. These include tea tree, fir, grapefruit, lavender, ylang ylang, and clove oils.
Essential oils are the main ingredients of most types of "home" air fresheners
Since the toilet is not the most sterile place, you will also need additional toilet flavors. They should not only freshen the air, but also have disinfecting and cleaning properties.
Toilet bombs 3 in 1
For 30 bombs with a diameter of 2.5-3 cm you will need the following ingredients:
- shavings of laundry soap - 3 tbsp. heaped spoons;
- baking soda - 1 glass;
- citric acid - 3 tbsp. spoons;
- hydrogen peroxide - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- essential oils - 20 drops are enough.
Laundry soap will make the mass from which the bombs are to be molded plastic. It also has antimicrobial properties. But, at your discretion, instead of laundry soap, you can take any other, for example, colored. As for citric acid and peroxide, they have a devastating effect on bacteria and fungi. To add additional disinfecting properties and a magical aroma to this "explosive" mixture, we advise you to take four types of oils and measure 5 drops from each. Let's get down to business.
Grate the soap to make about 3 tbsp. spoons with a slide.
The soap is rubbed on a regular grater
- Melt the shavings in a water bath.
- Pour baking soda and citric acid into a bowl of soap flakes.
Mix the ingredients with a regular spoon
- Add essential oil.
- Pour in hydrogen peroxide and stir again - you should get a thick, viscous mass.
Blind round balls 2.5–3 cm in diameter.
To make the bombs a beautiful round shape, you can use special devices
- Place the bombs on a flat surface, such as a baking sheet with newspaper.
- Leave to dry at room temperature for 4-5 hours.
You can, of course, just mix all the ingredients by rubbing the soap on a fine grater. But to obtain a homogeneous soft consistency, it is recommended to first melt the chips, and then mix with the rest of the components.
To make the bombs look pretty, add some food coloring to the mixture. Fragrant multi-colored balls will delight the eye and decorate the toilet room. When the "bombs" are dry, you can safely use them. You can store ready-made bombs in a box in the bathroom or put in a bowl, from where they will emit an aroma, additionally refreshing the room.
And this is how the bombs can look if you use dyes
Toilet tablets 3 in 1
Toilet pills are made in a similar way. You can make them with your hands like bombs or use a silicone ice mold.
For 30 tablets, we need the following components:
- soda - 2 cups or 15 tbsp. spoons;
- citric acid - 5 tbsp. spoons;
- hydrogen peroxide - 5 tbsp. spoons;
- vinegar 9% - 2.5 tbsp. spoons;
- essential oils - 20-25 drops;
We add water "by eye", little by little, so as not to get too liquid mass.
- In one bowl, combine baking soda and citric acid.
- In another bowl, combine the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
- Gradually pour the liquid into the baking soda and citric acid mixture and stir immediately.
- After combining the contents of the two bowls, add the essential oils.
- Add some water.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly until smooth.
- Blind 30 flattened balls or fill an ice mold with the resulting mass.
- Let the tablets dry for 4-5 hours.
If you use beautiful forms, then such tablets will become an excellent decor for the toilet room.
Use ready-made pills in the same way as bombs.
You can store pills in a regular jar
Making flavored toilet pills is a snap.
Video: how to make do-it-yourself toilet freshener tablets
3-in-1 toilet block freshener
For this type of freshener, you will need any old toilet hanging block and the following components:
- any soap - 100 g (1 pack of regular or half a pack of laundry soap);
- vinegar - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- soda - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- glycerin - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- essential oil - 10-15 drops.
To enhance the aroma, you can buy a fragrance with your favorite scent.
Filler preparation instructions:
- Rub the soap on a fine grater.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly in a deep bowl.
- Form blocks or balls with your hands, depending on what you need to block.
- Wrap the remnants of the homemade air freshener in foil and store in a dark place out of the reach of children.
The big advantage of such a freshener is that the soap is washed off gradually, so it is enough for one person living in an apartment for 3-4 weeks. Of course, the duration of such a block will depend on the intensity of using the toilet.
With the help of colored soap, you can make bright blocks for the toilet, which will not be inferior to the purchased ones.
Toilet block gel freshener
You can also make a gel freshener for the hanging unit yourself. Gelatin will help to achieve the consistency of a thick gel.
Components for preparing a freshener:
- gelatin - 20 g;
- water - 1 glass;
- salt - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- soda - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- vinegar - 3 tbsp. spoons;
- essential oils - 30-40 drops;
- food coloring - 1 pack.
- Pour the gelatin into a deep bowl and cover with hot water.
- When the gelatin swells, stir it with water until it is completely dissolved.
- Add color, salt, baking soda, vinegar, oils and stir until all ingredients are dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow container and refrigerate for several hours.
- After the mass has solidified, remove it from the refrigerator and cut into pieces of the desired size.
A shallow rectangular container is suitable as a shape. The future jelly is poured in a thickness of 1.5-2 cm, depending on the thickness of the hanging block for the toilet. The jelly is cut according to the shape of the block, and the rest is cut into the same pieces, then carefully wrapped in film and stored in the freezer.
Achieve the consistency of a thick gel using gelatin
The simplest bathroom freshener
Cotton wool soaked in essential oils can refresh and absorb unpleasant odors. Simply put 5-10 drops of oil on a small piece of cotton wool and place it in a small jar or bowl. You can enhance the effect of the fragrance by placing it near a heat source.
Car air fresheners
Since a car has long since turned from a luxury item into a necessary means of transportation, you need to take care of the interior fragrance. Purchased "odors" can hardly be called useful for the human body, and the synthetic smell sometimes cuts the nose so much that there is a desire to leave the car and walk.
Learning to make natural and healthy flavors is easy. We offer several options.
Cotton wool is placed in a small bag made of organza (you can buy it or sew it yourself), and then add 5-10 drops of essential oil inside. You can do more, but do not forget that the area of the car's interior is much smaller than the area of the living space, and the smell of pure essential oils is quite concentrated. This sachet will delight you with a wonderful aroma for a week. When the smell becomes less noticeable, you will need to add a few drops of oil again.
This sachet can be hung on a mirror or thrown under the seat.
Coffee beans will absorb all unwanted odors
Gel Car Fragrance
If you want the flavor to be "in sight", then you have to take care of a beautiful jar. If you have a container left over from the old freshener, then wash it and use it boldly.
You can see the recipe for the gel freshener above. The only thing that will need fewer ingredients. For example, it will be enough to prepare a "puff" from 50 ml of water, 10 g of gelatin, 1 teaspoon of glycerin and 5-10 drops of essential oil.
Hanging auto fragrance from fabric
Another option for hanging fragrance. You will need:
- favorite essential oil or aroma composition;
- a piece of felt, felt or thick coat fabric;
- stencil cardboard;
- pen or felt-tip pen;
- cord or tape;
Armed with everything you need, get down to business.
- On cardboard, draw any object that you like: a leaf, a flower, a Christmas tree, a heart - whatever.
- Cut out the pattern with scissors.
- Place the design on the fabric and trace with a pen.
- Of course, if you are a good artist, you can paint directly on the fabric.
Cut the design out of the fabric.
It turned out to be a pretty cute Christmas tree for a future flavoring agent.
- Make a hole at the top with scissors or a sharp object.
- Pull a ribbon or cord through the hole.
- Apply 10-15 drops of oil to a cloth.
Hang it on the mirror and enjoy your favorite scent.
Felt "Christmas tree" will fill the car interior with a delicate aroma
It will be pleasant to be in such a salon, in addition, essential oils benefit the body.
Video: how to make a car fragrance from fabric and in the form of a sachet
How long do homemade "odors" last and for what area they are enough
Any living room freshener made in the quantities suggested is sufficient for an area of 15–18 m². For large rooms, we recommend using two fragrances, placing them in different corners. On average, one such freshener will last 2-4 weeks, but you can keep them looking fresh with the tips above.
For toilet fresheners, the duration will depend on the number of people in the house and the frequency of visits. "Fragrances" for cars delight on average 1-2 weeks, but their smell can be renewed on the principle of renewing the gel freshener for the home, or simply put a few drops of oil on a sachet or cloth.
Making an air freshener with your own hands from natural materials will become not only an interesting activity for the hostess, which will bring a little comfort to the house, but also a means of economy, as well as a safe alternative to purchased chemical fragrances. A homemade air freshener will scent not only your home, but also the interior of your car.