Table of contents:
- How to clean silver jewelry and jewelry at home
- The reasons for the appearance of black plaque on silverware and jewelry of various samples
- High-quality cleaning of silver with ultrasonic devices, napkins and folk methods
- How can you clean silver and gold products from plaque with vinegar
- How to remove iodine stains and restore shine to jewelry that has faded after cleaning
- Good Ways to Clean Old Silver, Insert Jewelry, and Blackened Silverware - video
How to clean silver jewelry and jewelry at home
Silver jewelry and cutlery are popular all over the world. They require special attention, because over time, blackness appears on their surface. There are many industrial and folk care products. How to choose the right method and clean your silver at home quickly and efficiently?
- 1 Reasons for the appearance of black plaque on table silver and jewelry of various samples
2 High-quality cleaning of silver with ultrasonic devices, napkins and folk methods
- 2.1 How to clean darkened and matt silver in a jewelry workshop
2.2 The correct means for removing blackness from silver at home: acid, potato broth, coca-cola, soda, ammonia, foil
2.2.1 How easy it is to clean the darkening and give shine to silver products: lipstick, ammonia, GOI paste, salt, ultrasonic bath - gallery
- 2.3 Recipes for solutions and mixtures for bleaching oxidized silver spoons, blackened chains, earrings, crosses and other jewelry
3 How can you clean silver and gold jewelry from plaque with vinegar
- 3.1 We add shine to yellowed jewelry imitating silver, jewelry with cubic zirkonia, pearls and silver-plated products
- 3.2 How to wipe off dirt and oxidation from blackened silver: the use of delicate products
- 3.3 Effective ways to clean rhodium plated silver earrings, rings and bracelets
- 3.4 What composition copes with the blackening of gold-plated silver plated with electroplating
- 3.5 Quick cleaning of silverware with enamel with toothpaste and ammonia
- 4 How to remove iodine stains and restore shine to jewelry that has faded after cleaning
- 5 Good Ways to Clean Old Silver, Inlays, and Blackened Silverware - Video
The reasons for the appearance of black plaque on silverware and jewelry of various samples
Silver often darkens. Why it happens? The main reason for the appearance of black plaque is sulfur. When reacted with it, silver sulfide is formed, due to which the products darken.
In everyday life, silver can darken due to contact with cosmetics, mercury, alkali, and sweat. Products in direct contact with the neck are oxidized the fastest: chains, crosses. When silver comes into contact with water, hydrogen sulfide is formed, another cause of plaque. Experts recommend removing jewelry from the body when doing chores or bathing, this will help avoid darkening.
The degree and rate of plaque formation depends on the composition. Pure silver is not suitable for jewelry, it is easily deformed. Copper is added to increase the hardness.
- Alloys with a high copper content (800 and 830 samples) have a yellowish tint and are usually used for making cutlery and coins. Such silver is oxidized more strongly than products of a high standard, so cutlery requires systematic care.
- The highest quality material for making jewelry is 925 sterling silver with a small amount of copper. This metal is used for the manufacture of cutlery and jewelry.
Silverware must be periodically cleaned from black deposits and dirt.
Silver cutlery, unlike most utensils, is not dishwasher safe. The consequences of such withdrawal are sad. Products become stained, can completely lose their beauty, become unusable.
High-quality cleaning of silver with ultrasonic devices, napkins and folk methods
In order to get rid of plaque, silver items can be taken to a jewelry workshop or cleaned on their own.
How to clean darkened and matt silver in a jewelry workshop
- Jewelers carry out professional cleaning using ultrasound, it cleans plaque and completely removes dirt. The effectiveness of this procedure is several times higher than that of conventional means.
- In addition to ultrasound, professionals often use a steam generator. It is suitable for removing grease, hydrogen sulfide deposits, polishing paste residues. The steam generator removes all organic and inorganic contaminants where ultrasonic baths do not guarantee complete cleaning.
- The final stage is polishing with special napkins. They are impregnated with finely dispersed active substances, they perfectly remove plaque, give silver a shine.
A special napkin, impregnated with active substances, cleans the silver and gives it shine
The correct home remedies for removing blackness from silver: acid, potato broth, coca-cola, soda, ammonia, foil
The use of folk methods has proven itself no worse than jewelry cleaning. You can buy or prepare your own products used to remove plaque.
- Acids. Silver is a noble metal and has a low ability to react, but nitric or hot sulfuric acid can dissolve it. You can clean the product by immersing it in warm 6% vinegar.
- Lemon acid. A known method of heating silver for 20 minutes in an aqueous solution of citric acid (2 tbsp. L. Per glass of water). However, acid exposure can damage the stones in jewelry.
- Ammonia. Dip the jewelry in it for a few minutes, then wipe it dry. The product is quite aggressive, not suitable for products with stones. In addition, ammonia has a pungent odor.
- Laundry soap. It is suitable for gentle cleaning of jewelery with stones.
- Toothpaste. It well removes darkening on silver, but it is rarely recommended to clean products with paste, as microcracks may appear.
- Lipstick. It does not leave scratches, although it contains microscopic abrasive particles. Apply lipstick to the fabric, rub the product, and then wash it with soapy water.
- Paste GOI. It is a special polish designed for cleaning various surfaces. Its use requires special care; if used incorrectly, scratches may remain on the jewelry.
- Cleaning with a solution in an ultrasonic bath. There are ultrasonic baths on sale that are used at home, but it is better not to clean products with stones in them.
- Potato broth. A good proven product for whitening jewelry without stones.
How to easily clean darkening and give shine to silver products: lipstick, ammonia, GOI paste, salt, ultrasonic bath - gallery
Lipstick quickly removes blackening from silver
Mild vinegar solution - home remedy for cleaning silver jewelry
Citric acid cleans the surface of silverware without stones
Baking soda paste removes stubborn stains on silver
Toothpaste - a time-tested product for cleaning silver jewelry
GOI paste - a special agent for cleaning and polishing surfaces
Laundry soap solution delicately cleans silver items
Ammonium is an effective but aggressive agent and is only used to remove stubborn dirt.
Home use ultrasonic bath perfectly cleans silver
According to reviews, professional cleaning products (Silver Cleaner, etc.) are considered the best. They not only do not damage silver items, but also create a protective film.
Recipes for solutions and mixtures for bleaching oxidized silver spoons, blackened chains, earrings, crosses and other jewelry
|Required ingredients||How to prepare and apply||Restrictions on use|
|Ammonia + toothpaste||
||The recipe is not suitable for silver jewelry with stones.|
|Citric acid + ammonia||
||Cannot be used for items with stones.|
|Raw potatoes + water||
||Suitable for all types of silverware, including those with stones.|
|Toothpaste + baking soda + ammonia||
||The composition is recommended to be used for cleaning table silver.|
|Foil + soda + boiling water||
||The recipe is effective, but not suitable for blackened silver and gemstone jewelry.|
||The product is not suitable for products with stones.|
Which is the best way: professional cleaning or homemade recipe? It is necessary to look at the degree of contamination and the composition of the alloy. The decision whether to give the product for cleaning or not depends only on the owner's desire, but it will be useful to consult with professionals before starting the procedure.
How can you clean silver and gold products from plaque with vinegar
Jewelry is often made from both metals at once. Silver items with gold inserts are usually made of 925 sterling silver and gold. Their combination gives the jewelry an extraordinary grace.
Owners often have a question: is it possible to clean silver and gold together? Methods for removing contaminants from these metals are different, but if necessary, you can clean them at the same time. To do this, soak the items in food vinegar for several hours and then wash with a mild detergent.
We add shine to yellowed jewelry imitating silver, jewelry with cubic zirkonia, pearls and silver-plated products
Modern silver jewelry is not inferior in beauty to jewelry made of precious metals. However, over time, like silver, it ceases to shine, it becomes dark and dull. Can this problem be dealt with at home?
- if the jewelry is made of metal without dusting, then it is cleaned with tooth powder. You can use soda for bleaching with a little water;
- Silver-plated jewelry should not be rubbed strongly during cleaning. It is better to use a soap solution to which a little ammonia is added;
- black plaque on jewelry with cubic zirconia or pearls can also be easily removed with a soapy solution. After processing, the jewelry becomes shiny and clean again.
How to wipe off dirt and oxidation from blackened silver: the use of delicate products
Blackening is a complex process and is done in various ways that have been known for hundreds of years. Real blackened silver is more valuable than other types of processing of this metal. Products made from it have a noble dark shade.
Jewelry made of blackened silver should be regularly cleaned from dirt and dust. At the same time, they cannot be boiled, abrasive agents, aggressive chemical solutions (for example, ammonia) should not be used. You can gently rub some areas with an eraser.
Effective ways to clean rhodium plated silver earrings, rings and bracelets
New methods of making jewelry are currently being applied. There is a method of coating silver with a thin layer of rhodium metal. This gives the jewelry a shine and brightness that is superior to that of pure silver. The resistance to corrosion and scratches is increased, because rhodium has high strength. The coating does not react with acids, sulfur, it is not afraid of aggressive environments.
Rhodium plating is the thinnest protective layer. Such products should be cleaned with extreme care, in no case using caustic powders or other abrasive agents.
What composition copes with the blackening of gilded silver plated with electroplating
Electroplated gilding gives silver jewelry an elegant look and protects it from darkening. A layer of gold is deposited on the surface of the item from a solution of its salt. For silver earrings, brooches, rings, the coverage is approximately 1 micron.
Silver with gold electroplating is cleaned carefully, without using powders and aggressive solutions
For cleaning such products, only non-abrasive products are used: special wipes, professional sprays for removing plaque. They do not destroy the gilding, returning the jewelry to its original appearance.
Fast cleaning of silverware with enamel with toothpaste and ammonia
The decorative enamel coating is very sensitive to acids and alkalis. For cleaning jewelry with enamel, any detergents are completely unacceptable.
- jewelry can be washed in cold water with a little ammonia;
- it is permissible to clean enamel with tooth powder using a soft brush, then wipe it with a napkin.
How to remove iodine stains and restore shine to jewelry that has faded after cleaning
It happens that spilled iodine or other liquids make the piece of jewelry appear yellow-brown. To remove stains, place the silver item in a soapy solution with ammonia, and then rinse with water.
If the product is dull after cleaning.
- Take a sheet of foil, 1 tbsp. l. baking soda, 1 tbsp. l. salt, 0.5 liters of hot water.
- Put foil on the bottom of the container, add salt, soda and cover with hot water.
- Place the silver in this container for a few minutes, the plaque will disappear.
Good Ways to Clean Old Silver, Insert Jewelry, and Blackened Silverware - video
Known methods of cleaning silver items must be used carefully so as not to damage the jewelry. Then jewelry and cutlery will delight you with their beauty for many years.