Table of contents:
- We clean gold at home: effective ways and quick recipes
- How to restore beauty to different types of gold
- What solution can be used to clean yellow jewelry: we use ammonia, vodka and Fairy
- How to clean rings or earrings with foil, boil, and baking soda
- Home express method: how to wipe off plaque from a bracelet or chain with chemicals
- Effective old recipes for cleaning gold at home
- Cleaning methods for stubborn dirt
- An easy way to remove dirt from matte gold
- Cleansing white gold with a mixture of ammonia and shampoo
- How to wash a product made of "medical gold"
- Grandma's Recipes: Toothpowder, Bread and Lipstick
Video: How To Clean Gold At Home Quickly And Efficiently, How To Clean Gold Jewelry To Make It Shine + Photos And Videos
We clean gold at home: effective ways and quick recipes
Popular wisdom says: "All that glitters is not gold." It is logical to conclude that products made of this noble metal are simply obliged to shine. Rings, earrings, bracelets, chains - all this is mercilessly worn, gets wet, spreads with creams, loses its shine. To return your favorite jewelry to its former beauty at home, you need to clean it. There are effective methods that quickly remove almost any contamination.
- 1 How to restore beauty to different types of gold
- 2 What solution can be used to clean yellow jewelry: use ammonia, vodka and Fairy
3 How to clean rings or earrings with foil, boiling and baking soda
3.1 Why gold can turn black and how to quickly deal with it - video
- 4 Home express method: how to wipe plaque from a bracelet or chain with chemicals
5 Effective old recipes for cleaning gold at home
- 5.1 We remove dirt and blackness: the "Belarusian" method
- 5.2 Super Composition: Return the Shine to Earrings or Coins with Sugar and Salt
6 Methods for cleaning stubborn dirt
6.1 again, without touching the glue part
- 7 An easy way to remove dirt from matte gold
- 8 Cleaning white gold with a mixture of ammonia and shampoo
- 9 How to wash a product made of "medical gold"
- 10 Granny's Recipes: Toothpowder, Bread and Lipstick
How to restore beauty to different types of gold
If you think that all gold is cleaned in the same way, you are deeply mistaken. Methods are selected based on the individual characteristics of a particular jewelry. There are no trifles here. The color (yellow or white), the nature of the coating (glossy or matte), the presence or absence of stones and, of course, the nature of the pollution are taken into account.
When cleaning, it is necessary to take into account the composition of the gold, the nature of the coating and the types of contamination.
First, let's figure out what pitfalls can lie in wait for self-cleaning gold at home.
- Products with stones can only be wiped off with gentle methods, without acids and abrasive substances. It is better not to immerse them in liquid at all, but to spread them with a cleaning paste or wipe them with soapy water.
- Do not clean jewelry made of different metals together (for example, gold and silver), they may turn white.
- Be careful with dry citric acid, vinegar, and baking soda. They can only be used for products in good condition. It is dangerous to use these substances if there are any scratches, damage or stones.
In some cases, it is better to contact a specialist, they will find a safe way to clean gold jewelry
Jewelry with "capricious" inserts - turquoise, pearls, amber, emerald, coral - can be easily spoiled by improper processing. The stone may become tarnished or discolored in the wrong solution, or it may simply fall out due to the "leaked" fasteners. Decorations with embossed patterns, mother-of-pearl or enamel inlay also require a special approach. If you need to clean these items, go to the nearest jewelry shop. There they will select the appropriate "treatment": ultrasound, ointment, soaked wipes or special cosmetics.
What solution can be used to clean yellow jewelry: we use ammonia, vodka and Fairy
There are several ways to clean yellow gold earrings and chains. You can start with the simplest.
- Dissolve 1 tsp in a glass of warm water. any dishwashing detergent, preferably Fairy.
- Put a cloth in a saucepan, on top - a decoration that has darkened.
- Fill with the prepared solution.
- Put the saucepan on the fire, simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse cleaned gold items with water and wipe dry.
Yellow gold can be cleaned well with any dishwashing detergent
This method is suitable for removing surface contaminants. More complex cases require a serious approach. It is better to clean gold jewelry with diamonds, zirconium or cubic zirconia using ammonia.
- In a glass of boiling water, add dishwashing detergent or laundry detergent (1 tsp) and 25% ammonia (1 tsp).
- Stir and leave the gold in the solution for 1–2 hours.
- Rinse cleaned jewelry with water and dry with a flannel cloth.
For cleaning gold, ammonia (ammonia) is often used
Such a mixture well cleans old gold from blackness and impurities resulting from the oxidation of additive metals in the alloy.
How to clean rings or earrings with foil, boil, and baking soda
Chains or rings that have lost their luster can be restored to their former beauty using baking soda and foil.
- Dissolve the baking soda in hot water (1-1.5 tablespoons of baking soda in 1 cup of water).
- Lay a sheet of foil on the bottom of the selected dish, put a chain, earrings or a ring, pour a soda solution.
- Leave the jewelry on overnight. In the morning (after 8–12 hours of exposure) your favorite jewelry will be like new.
Foil and soda are good at removing dirt from gold jewelry.
You can use dishwashing liquid instead of foil in this recipe.
- Prepare a solution of 1 cup boiling water, 1 tbsp. l. soda and 0.5 tsp of dishwashing liquid.
- Place a rag on the bottom of the pan, on top of the gold product.
- Fill with the prepared solution.
- Put on low heat for 15–20 minutes, or just leave to cool slowly.
- Take out the products, rinse and dry.
Why gold can turn black and how to quickly deal with it - video
Home express method: how to wipe off plaque from a bracelet or chain with chemicals
The quick method is suitable for cleaning jewelry without stones.
- Dissolve 1 tsp in a glass of warm water. ammonia solution, 30 ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide and half a teaspoon of liquid soap.
- Pour into the selected container (glass, ceramic, plastic), mix.
- Leave the gold items in the solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse cleaned jewelry with water, wipe with a dry flannel.
Cleaning with ammonia and hydrogen peroxide returns the shine of gold
Effective old recipes for cleaning gold at home
There are several methods that have been tested by more than one generation and, according to reviews, have proven themselves well.
We remove dirt and blackness: the "Belarusian" method
This recipe requires unusual ingredients: onions and potatoes. The substances contained in them gently remove impurities from all types of gold.
- Grate the onion and potatoes on a fine grater, as for pancakes (potato pancakes).
- Stir to make a gruel.
- Drain the juice. Put jewelry in the remaining mass and wait 2 hours.
- Take out the product, rinse and dry.
Another variation on the old recipe is using onions. Cut open the onion and rub the decoration with the cut. Onion juice quickly removes dark spots.
Super Composition: Bring Back Shine to Earrings or Coins with Sugar and Salt
Cleaning with a sweet water solution helps to protect from surface contamination (sweat, dust).
- Dissolve sugar in water at the rate of 1 tbsp. l. sugar in 1 cup of warm water.
- Lower jewelry and leave for 4 hours.
- Rinse and wipe dry.
There is a similar cleaning method with salt: 3 tbsp. l. Dissolve the salts in half a glass of hot water, leave the products in saline solution overnight, rinse and dry.
Handy tools are a great helper in cleansing gold jewelry
There is another extraordinary tool for cleaning gold jewelry, coins, cutlery - Coca-Cola. Pour it into a dish, place the product, take it out after 10-12 hours, rinse it in clean water and dry it.
All proposed methods are quite effective for cleaning gold items with surface contamination. To wash jewelry with dark stains, including iodine and paint, you need mechanical cleaning.
Cleaning methods for stubborn dirt
If a ring or bracelet has turned black, only mechanical cleaning can return them to a beautiful life, that is, we will not pour, but rub. Soda or Pemolux should not be used, as they leave scratches. Therefore, we use a special paste. You can buy a ready-made one in a jewelry workshop or cook it yourself.
- Take in equal proportions warm water, petroleum jelly, grated laundry soap and crushed chalk. Combine and rub to form a paste.
- Apply it with a soft brush to the product with movements directed to one side.
- Wipe off the remaining paste with vodka or alcohol, rinse with warm water and wipe with a soft cloth.
To remove stubborn dirt on gold jewelry, you need a cleaning paste.
In this way, you can also remove the white plaque that appeared during the joint cleaning of gold and silver and mask the scratches.
Cleaning with GOI paste cannot be used for white gold products.
You can remove iodine stains with a home remedy from 1 glass of water and 1 tbsp. l. sodium hyposulfite (thiosulfate). It is sold at the pharmacy or in the photography department. Put the jewelry in the solution, after 15–20 minutes all stains will disappear.
To remove stubborn dirt, use GOI paste or sodium hyposulfite solution
again, without touching the glue part
Gentle cleaning is required for gold jewelry with stones
Then determine whether the stone in your jewelry is hard or soft. The correct method of cleaning the product will depend on this.
Jewelry with hard stones - gallery
Diamond belongs to hard stones.
Topaz is a hard stone that easily withstands aggressive cleaning
Sapphire products can be cleaned without fear for the condition of the stone
Cubic zirconia - hard stones
An easy way to remove dirt from matte gold
The matte surface of a gold piece requires a special approach, so it is worth considering going to a jeweler. If for some reason this is not possible, try the following:
- Make a liquid paste using a coffee spoon of lime and water.
- Add salt on the tip of a knife and 0.5 teaspoon of baking soda, stir.
- Leave the mixture for 3 days.
- Place the matte gold pieces in the infused paste and let sit for 4 hours.
- Rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth.
You can clean a matte gold product at home with a paste or ammonia
You can use ammonia to clean products without stones.
- Place the jewelry in a 25% ammonia solution.
- Leave it on for a few hours.
- Rinse with clean water and dry with flannel.
Cleansing white gold with a mixture of ammonia and shampoo
White gold jewelry looks stylish and noble. To get this color, nickel is added to the alloy, and rhodium (a platinum group metal) is sprayed on top.
When cleaning white gold, you must be careful not to damage the coating
As in any spraying, the thickness of the rhodium layer is very modest, therefore, you cannot rub white gold with a brush with powder or paste. Or you can use this recipe:
- mix ammonia (ammonia) and water in equal proportions, add a little shampoo;
- leave white gold products in the solution for 30 minutes;
- remove, rinse with clean water, dry with a soft cloth.
There is another simple way to clean white gold. Combine 1 egg white with 0.5 cups of warm beer, stir, moisten a cloth with the resulting liquid, wipe the decoration, rinse and dry.
How to wash a product made of "medical gold"
Oddly enough, "medical gold" has nothing to do with medicine, however, like gold. It was originally used for earrings used to pierce the ears (probably hence the name "medical").
Nowadays, such an alloy is widely used in costume jewelry. It looks like gold, and some of this precious metal may be in its composition, but such a product cannot be called gold. Jewelry made of "medical gold" are frequent guests in TV shops. They are yellow, shiny, and cost ten times cheaper than their noble counterparts.
Medical gold practically does not contain precious metals in its composition
The following solution is suitable for cleaning such jewelry:
- Dissolve 15 g of tooth powder and 30 g of 10% ammonia in 50 g of cold water.
- Soak a soft cloth with the composition, wipe the decoration.
- Rinse with warm water and dry.
Grandma's Recipes: Toothpowder, Bread and Lipstick
In old recipe notebooks for all occasions, you can stumble upon the following options for cleaning gold:
- grate golden earrings with bread crumb;
- clean the suspension with tooth powder slightly diluted with water, or with a toothpaste without whitening effect, using a soft toothbrush;
- smear the gold bracelet with lipstick, hold for 5-10 minutes, wipe with a cloth.
Gold is a noble, beautiful and expensive metal. Products made from it require regular maintenance. Before cleaning gold, pay attention to the composition of the alloy, the presence of stones and the nature of the dirt. In order for jewelry to please the eye for a long time, keep it tidy and clean.
Popular by topic
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials
Detailed description of the construction of a wooden porch. Materials used, work procedure step by step
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a simple children's sandbox. Different sandbox models
Description of the mixboard, styles, location. a step-by-step description of creating a flower garden. selection of plants for mixboard