Table of contents:
- Pastry with almonds - how to peel and preserve the royal nut
- Terms and conditions of storage of inshell almonds and peeled
- How to peel
Video: How To Peel Or Shell Almonds And Store Them Properly At Home
Pastry with almonds - how to peel and preserve the royal nut
Gourmet almonds are a delicacy among nuts. It is delicious and is a treasure trove of benefits. Almonds are used in medicine, cosmetology, perfumery, wine production, confectionery and much more. The nut, rich in valuable oils, vitamins, minerals and trace elements, was known and appreciated in ancient Egypt. But the taste and benefits are contained only in quality nuts. Therefore, it is important to be able to properly peel and store them.
1 Terms and conditions of storage of inshell almonds and peeled
- 1.1 How to store peeled almonds
- 1.2 Storage of inshell almonds
2 How to peel
2.1 How to split almond shells at home
- 2.1.1 Several varieties of nutcrackers - gallery
- 2.1.2 How to make a nutcracker with your own hands - video
- 2.1.3 How to split apricot pits with pliers, see this video
2.2 Peeling almonds
- 2.2.1 Method 1 - with a knife
- 2.2.2 Method 2 - Soaking
- 2.2.3 Method 3 - Blanching
- 2.2.4 How to quickly peel almonds - video
- 2.2.5 Method 4 - with a towel
- 2.2.6 Testing different methods of peeling almonds - video
- 2.2.7 Method 5 - with package
Terms and conditions of storage of inshell almonds and peeled
We are used to the fact that nuts are sold already peeled. This makes life easier for us, but such a product requires special storage conditions.
How to store peeled almonds
- avoid direct sunlight;
- the storage place should be dry, cool and dark;
- only completely dry nuts are suitable for storage, without traces of damage and mold;
- you cannot store fruits next to strong-smelling products, they will absorb the smell;
- the storage container must be hermetically sealed; a glass jar with a lid or a container with a vacuum device is suitable;
- storage is better tolerated by dried nuts, fried nuts will go rancid faster;
- do not mix almonds with other types of nuts;
- when storing almonds in their original packaging, follow the recommendations on the label;
- if the package is opened, pour the fruits into a jar or container and place in the refrigerator;
- petalized almonds keep less storage than whole almond flours even less.
- kernels are stored in the refrigerator for up to six months, in the freezer for up to a year.
- when frozen, almonds do not lose their properties and taste.
In addition to the refrigerator, it can be stored in a cool pantry or on an insulated balcony, if the temperature there does not exceed 16-18 degrees. But in such conditions, shelf life is reduced.
Do not store unpackaged almonds outdoors - they will deteriorate in a few weeks
Rancid odor and bitter taste will be a sign of product spoilage. Do not try to reanimate such nuts, a spoiled product will only do harm and can cause poisoning.
The fruits in the shell are less picky in storage, but here some conditions must be observed.
Storing in-shell almonds
- only dry nuts are selected for storage, without mold and rust spots, with intact shells.
- storage containers must be air-permeable, these can be bags, boxes or glass jars with a loosely closed lid;
- storage in plastic bags is not allowed, moisture remaining inside will lead to rapid deterioration of the product.
- when storing almonds in their shells, good air circulation is important;
- relative humidity should not exceed 70%;
- the lower the temperature, the longer the shelf life;
- at temperatures from -15 0 С to 0 0 С they last up to 5 years, from 10 0 С to 20 0 С - up to 2 years.
For storage, it is better to give preference to inshell nuts. They retain their nutritional properties and taste longer, and are less picky about storage. And bought in season will save your budget. One problem - you will have to free them from the shell yourself.
How to peel
The kernels are enclosed in a hard shell, the strength of which depends on the type of almond. In paper varieties, the shell is thin and fragile, it breaks with your fingers, it is not difficult to peel such almonds.
Thin shells of paper-grade almonds break with your fingers
For nuts with a thick and strong shell, more effort is required.
Special tools will be needed to peel almonds in a firmly shell.
How to split almond shells at home
- a hammer;
- press for garlic.
If you have to do nut cracking often, it makes sense to purchase a nutcracker. It can be a portable forceps model or a solid lever-operated apparatus. The nut is put into a special socket or depression, then the handle is pressed.
After that, it remains only to free the kernel from the shell fragments.
Several varieties of nutcracker - gallery
Due to the design features of this nutcracker model, compression occurs from the sides of the nut
The longer the nutcracker lever, the less effort is required to operate
To crack several nuts, it is enough to have a portable nutcracker with a small lever
Nutcracker in the form of tongs works due to the strength of the pussy of the hand
The simplest nutcracker made of wood is easy to make yourself. It does not require much effort, and it will work as well as the factory one.
How to make a nutcracker with your own hands - video
Not every home has a nutcracker. If you need to split several fruits, a hammer will come to the rescue.
A regular hammer can be used to split almonds
For this purpose, both a conventional steel hammer and a wooden one are used.
When using a wooden mallet to split almonds, it is easier to calculate the impact force and not damage the kernel
When chopping with a hammer, it is better to wrap the fruit in a towel so that the shell does not fly apart.
In principle, a manual nutcracker is similar to pliers. They can also be used for nut cracking. Place a nut between the lips of the tool and squeeze the handles - the shell will crack.
How to split apricot pits with pliers, see this video
It is easy to split almonds in the same way.
Another handy tool for splitting almonds is a garlic press. Insert the nut into the garlic well and squeeze the handles. The disadvantage of this method is the impossibility to control the position of the nut, which is why the kernel will not always remain intact.
Some devices have teeth between the handles, you can place a nut between them.
A garlic press is suitable for cracking nuts
Use steel appliances, aluminum ones are not designed for such a load and will quickly break.
The almonds freed from the shell are covered with skin. It is edible, although bitter. But it happens that the kernels need to be peeled, for example, for baking or making marzipan. There are several ways to do this.
The most obvious way is with a knife.
Method 1 - with a knife
We scrape each core with a knife until it is completely clean. The method is ineffective, requires a lot of time and effort, together with the skin, part of the kernel is peeled off. Only suitable for cleaning multiple kernels.
Method 2 - soaking
The kernels are filled with cold water and left overnight.
Pour cold water over the almonds and leave to soak overnight
During this time, the peel will become soaked and it will be easy to separate it from the kernels. To do this, it is enough to press on both sides with the thumb and forefinger and the core will slide out of the shell. If it doesn't give way, pry it off the sharp end of the kernel with your fingernail and pull. After that, repeat the pressure, the core will slide out.
The method is effective, but it takes a long time to soak. Suitable if this ingredient of the future dish is required the next day.
Method 3 - blanching
A quick and effective way to peel large quantities of nuts. Prepare everything you need before proceeding.
- heat-resistant bowl;
- kettle with boiling water;
- slotted spoon or colander;
- a shallow plate or dish;
- a bowl for peeled kernels;
- container for husks.
Place the almonds in a heat-resistant bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave it on for 10 minutes.
Pour boiling water over the almonds and leave for 10 minutes or boil for 1 minute Peel the almonds Drain the water from the nuts or drain in a colander
If there is no time at all, boil the nuts for 1 minute on the stove, or place in the microwave for 2 minutes at maximum power.
Drain off hot water and add cold water. Leave for 5 minutes.
Drain or drain the nuts in a colander
Repeat steps 1 and 2 if necessary if the skin does not come off well.
Place the nucleoli on a serving dish.
Use paper towel to remove excess water from nuts
Then proceed as in the soaking method - squeeze the kernel from both sides with your thumb and forefinger, it will easily slide out of the rind.
Clean by pressing your fingers on the thick end of the kernel
Bathing almonds in cold water is optional. It is enough to take it out of hot water onto a dish and let it cool slightly, and then clean it.
How to quickly peel almonds - video
Use a towel to speed up the process.
Method 4 - with a towel
- Blanch the nuts as described above.
- Spread a tea towel on the table, preferably a waffle towel.
- Place the kernels on one half of the towel and cover with the other.
- Rub-massage the nuts through a towel.
Select the cleaned kernels, rub the rest again.
Use a towel to quickly peel almonds
Process the remaining unpeeled nuts one at a time.
Peeled kernels, white or slightly creamy
In this way, many nuts are peeled at a time. Its disadvantage is that not all kernels will be preserved intact and the remaining uncleaned ones will have to be processed one at a time. And then the towel is unlikely to be washed clean.
Testing different ways to peel almonds - video
Replacing the towel with a plastic bag simplifies the process.
Method 5 - with a package
- Pour the blanched nuts into a bag, tie and rub in the palms of your hands until all the nuts are peeled.
- You can use a rolling pin and roll the bag of almonds on the table, but then the kernels are more likely to be damaged.
- Pour the peeled kernels into a sieve and shake. Light husks will be on top, and kernels below.
After peeling with soaking or blanching, the almonds are washed with cold water to prevent the kernels from darkening. Then it is dried in the oven at a temperature of 60-80 degrees for about an hour. Soaked ones take longer to dry than blanched ones.
The dried fruits are fried or used raw, depending on the recipe.
Both raw and roasted almonds are cleaned using the methods described. Fried after cleaning should be used immediately.
Despite being expensive, almonds are popular for their nutritional and healing properties and excellent taste. It improves brain function, digestion, metabolism, hair, nails and skin. Especially useful for pregnant women. By learning how to properly store and peel almonds, you will add sophistication to your culinary masterpieces and enjoy the pure taste of the royal nut without admixture of bitterness.
Popular by topic
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to use ash correctly as fertilizer for the garden and vegetable garden. Ash types, its effect on different types of soil
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials