Table of contents:
- Dryers for clothes: choose ceiling or floor, assemble according to the instructions, do it yourself
- Irreplaceable assistant in the apartment
- Dryer types depending on location
- How to assemble a "vine" for drying clothes
- How to make a clothes dryer with your own hands
- Video: how to choose a tumble dryer
Video: How To Make A Clothes Dryer With Your Own Hands Or Choose, Assemble And Install A Ready-made (ceiling, Floor, Liana Or Other), Other Tips
Dryers for clothes: choose ceiling or floor, assemble according to the instructions, do it yourself
A tumble dryer is a modern and practical thing that no housewife can do without. Today the market offers a whole range of dryers - from mini-models with a permissible load of no more than 2 kg of laundry to large ceiling dryers that can dry even 20 kg of wet laundry. How not to get lost in this variety and choose what suits you? Floor, wall or ceiling? Or can you assemble the necessary dryer yourself?
1 Irreplaceable assistant in the apartment
1.1 Selection criteria for clothes dryers
1.1.1 Photo gallery: tumble dryers made of various materials
2 Types of dryers depending on location
2.1 Mobile dryers
- 2.1.1 Photo Gallery: Vertical and Horizontal Floor Dryers
- 2.1.2 Photo Gallery: Mini Versions of a Mobile Dryer
- 2.1.3 Photo gallery: umbrella dryers
- 2.1.4 Photo gallery: types of electric dryers
- 2.2 How to fix stationary dryers of different types
3 How to assemble a "vine" for drying clothes
- 3.1 Video: How to Attach a Prefabricated Ceiling Dryer
- 3.2 Errors during installation of dryers
4 How to make a clothes dryer with your own hands
- 4.1 Stationary wall-to-wall dryer
- 4.2 Hanging overhead dryer
- 4.3 Umbrella sock dryer
- 4.4 Suspended grid
- 5 Video: how to choose a tumble dryer
Irreplaceable assistant in the apartment
"Grandma's" methods of drying clothes on a non-glazed balcony or in the courtyards of high-rise buildings are safely in the past. Most people prefer to dry things in apartments on special dryers, where you can place a sufficient amount of linen and at the same time save space. Modern dryers are a practical interior detail and also an air humidifier.
Criteria for choosing a tumble dryer
First, decide which dryer is right for you. The choice of dryer depends on the following parameters:
The amount of laundry. Assess how often you wash and how much laundry you dry. The more kilograms of wet laundry - the more and more durable a dryer is needed. It is better to initially choose the dryer that suits you rather than fix or replace it later. The length of the structure and the weight of the laundry are indicated on the packaging.
The dryer packaging contains important information: the length of the rods, the permissible weight of the laundry
- Mobility and fastening. Consider whether you want to move the dryer from time to time or the laundry will always dry in the same place. For example, if you live in a rented apartment, where each nail must be hammered in with the owner.
- Material and cost. The stronger, more problem-free and more durable the material of the dryer, the more expensive it is. Modern dryers are made from 4 materials - plastic, steel, stainless steel and aluminum. Plastic and aluminum are cheaper than all, they are also the most short-lived - plastic deforms under the influence of temperature, and after a while aluminum can leave permanent stains on your things. Steel is subject to corrosion even when protective coatings are applied. So the most successful material for a dryer is stainless steel. Unfortunately, these models are more expensive than others.
Photo gallery: tumble dryers made of various materials
Dryers made of plastic often break down due to the fragility of the material
Metal dryers are undeniably durable, but rust over time
Stainless steel dryers are expensive but not a hassle to use
When choosing a dryer, you should also pay attention to the manufacturer. Dryers are popular firms Leifheit (made in the Czech Republic), Gimi (Italy), Nika (Izhevsk), Lakmet (Kirov). According to user reviews, you should not choose models made in China: as a rule, they are made of low-quality material and do not last long.
Please note that only wrung-out laundry can be hung on any dryers. If you wash by hand, first let the water drain from the clothes or place a container for water under the dryer.
Dryer types depending on location
There are 2 types of dryers - mobile and stationary.
The advantage of mobile dryers is that they can be moved to a more convenient place at any time or removed altogether.
The floor dryer is the most common mobile type. Such models of dryers are as simple and convenient to use as possible. You can install and move the floor dryer anywhere - in the room, kitchen or balcony. Mobile floor dryers are available in vertical and horizontal versions.
Photo gallery: vertical and horizontal floor tumble dryers
The most common are horizontal dryers
Vertical dryers are more compact and often have casters for easy handling
Vertical tumble dryers can be partially or fully foldable
Variations of mobile clothes dryers can be very different
The dryer can be placed directly in the shower so as not to expose containers for the water drained from things.
A mini-version of a mobile dryer is located on the battery or on the side of the bathroom. This is practical when you need to dry a small amount of small items (baby clothes, socks, underwear). The mini tumble dryer is also useful for drying delicate fabrics that cannot be wrung out. Simply place the dryer inside the bathtub, hooking the handles over the side, or placing it on legs along the edges of the bathtub (depending on the type of dryer), place the item on the bars and let the water drain.
Photo gallery: mini mobile dryer options
This dryer can be easily placed on the side of the bathroom
On the dryer attached to the battery, you can dry both small items and shoes
Ideal for drying items that cannot be wrung out
A variety of mini dryers can also include umbrella-style dryers. It is convenient to place small (children's) things or underwear and socks on them. At any time they can be folded or moved to another convenient place.
Photo gallery: umbrella dryers
There are many options for placing an umbrella dryer
An umbrella dryer with clothespins is great for drying laundry or socks
"Hybrid" vertical dryer and umbrella dryer will fit perfectly in any room
An electric dryer is a more advanced version of a mobile dryer. Heating elements are hidden inside the structure, which speed up the drying process. Such dryers are safe (no higher than the heating elements 50 to C), and are often equipped with useful functions - for example, ultraviolet light or ionization of the air. Of the minuses, it is worth noting the additional costs for electricity, the need to place the dryer near the outlet and, of course, the cost of the dryer - such models will cost a lot.
Photo gallery: types of electric dryers
The most common type of electric dryer is horizontal
The vertical dryer can be used to dry clothes on hangers
The most advanced version of an electric dryer - like a cabinet
A drum dryer is also a dryer. It is arranged like a washing machine - things are placed in a drum and a suitable mode is selected. However, users warn that after such "drying" fabric fibers become thinner and tear faster, especially jeans. In addition, tumble dryers cost a lot and require a separate space.
The tumble dryer dries things less delicately than others
How to fix stationary dryers of different types
Stationary dryers are mounted to a wall or ceiling. There are also ceiling and wall structures.
A variant of the "cheap and cheerful" series is an inertial dryer. It consists of a body and retractable cords. The body is mounted on one wall, the hooks on the opposite. The strip with cords is attached to hooks and when the laundry is dry, the strip can be removed and the cords can be reeled back (they are unwound without assistance, like a tape measure). True, the maximum weight for such a dryer is 5 kg of wet laundry.
An inertial dryer saves a lot of space, but does not support a lot of laundry
Sliding dryer (accordion) is a lifesaver for a small bathroom. Such a dryer is mounted on the wall and extended to the required distance (but not more than 0.5 m). It can be folded back at any time, for example, to take a shower, as well as hang towels on it. In addition, the accordion dryer will be compactly located on the balcony.
The accordion dryer can also act as a canvas holder
Ceiling or ceiling / wall dryers come in a variety of designs, but nearly all are called "liana". A frame with thin tubes made of metal or plastic with cables running through is attached to the ceiling. The length of the cable can be adjusted by fixing a part of the structure (special block) on the wall, which allows you to dry the laundry faster - you can set different levels and the air circulation will be more intense. The advantage is that there is no clutter in the space and you can decide how many pipes to pull from the ceiling.
Liana type dryer is suitable for placement both in the bathroom and on the balcony
"Lianas" are also convenient in that they do not leave clues on things and creases, due to the smoothness and diameter of the pipe. If funds allow, then it is worth choosing stainless steel models. Good "vines" and strength - withstand more than 20 kg of wet linen. With the correct selection of the length of the cables, you can lower the tubes to any height where it is convenient for you to hang your clothes: no ladders, stools or jumps.
When choosing "vines", you should pay attention to the distance between the tubes. The optimal width is 8–9 cm, so things will dry out much faster.
Another type of dryer is a ceiling unit (no wall fixing). At the heart of such a dryer is a special mechanism - a pantograph, which raises and lowers the structure. The disadvantage of this device (besides the considerable price) is that the drying pipes cannot be adjusted: they are on the same level, so the laundry will take longer to dry. In addition, the structure itself is rather massive.
The folded ceiling block dryer takes up little space, but does not allow the placement of rods at different levels
A more "advanced" version of the ceiling dryer is equipped with lighting, humidity indicator and a hair dryer with warm air supply.
The "pumped-over" models of the ceiling dryer have many additional functions, therefore, they are more expensive
How to assemble a "vine" for drying clothes
A ceiling dryer requires some installation work. They can be carried out both independently and by calling the master.
So, to assemble the "liana" as standard, you will need:
- brackets - 2 pcs.
- special side block or bracket - 1 pc.
- tubes (different number)
- cords / cables - 2 pcs. for each tube
DIY installation tools:
- for measurements - tape measure and marker;
- for drilling - a hammer drill (not a drill) and a 6 mm drill (for fastening);
- for fixing - a screwdriver and fasteners - self-tapping screws (3.5–4 mm) and nylon dowels (5 mm). It is better to buy fasteners on your own, practice shows that it may be of poor quality in the kit.
It is recommended to read the instructions before assembly, installation may differ from the general instructions.
Before installing the dryer, be sure to clean the surfaces from dust and dirt!
- Unpack the dryer.
- Ceiling brackets are the backbone of the entire structure. Attach them to the ceiling and mark with a marker where the brackets are attached.
- Use a hammer drill to drill holes along these points.
- Attach brackets and secure with self-tapping screws.
- Determine where you will attach the side unit. It is also fastened with self-tapping screws.
- Pass the cables / cords from the kit through the right bracket, and the long cord through the left bracket, then pass both cords through the right bracket. This is so that the tube can be adjusted up / down.
- Pass both cords and secure to the side block.
- Install the remaining tubes in the same way.
Video: how to attach a prefabricated ceiling dryer
Errors during installation of dryers
When installing a ceiling dryer, the same mistakes are often encountered, which can lead to breakage or inconvenience to use.
- Consider the size of the room where the dryer will be located. If it is a balcony (loggia) - mount the "liana" so that you can freely open the door or windows.
- Measure correctly: the distance between the fasteners should be at least the length of the tubes, and the cords should not sag or be stretched like a string.
- Select fasteners carefully. Too small or poorly fixed self-tapping screws will not hold the structure.
- Masters advise in no case to use dowel-nails when installing the "liana", otherwise it will simply collapse after the first attempt to hang wet clothes.
- Do not overload the dryer - the packaging indicates the maximum weight that the structure can withstand.
- Unraveling the cords of the dryer can be difficult. To avoid this tedious activity, do not run multiple pipes at the same time.
How to make a clothes dryer with your own hands
You can make a tumble dryer yourself. When choosing a location for the dryer, allow for free air circulation. Keep in mind, however, that the cost of consumables, even without labor and time, will likely be higher than the price of a suitable dryer in a store. However, if you are a fan of hand-made and you are just pleased to do something with your own hands, then there are many options for making a tumble dryer.
Stationary wall-to-wall dryer
The easiest option for a homemade dryer is 2 holder strips, in which holes are drilled. You will need:
- 2 wooden blocks 60–80 cm long (depending on the amount of laundry you plan to dry);
- varnish for wood (ordinary furniture varnish will do), brush;
- linen cord or rope (calculate the length taking into account the size of the balcony);
- fasteners - dowels and screws (4 pcs.);
- self-tapping screw with a ring or hook (1 pc.);
- side block (optional);
- marker for marking;
- puncher (for holes in the wall), drill (for holes in the bars).
- In each block, drill 6 symmetrically positioned holes (for the rope) and 2 holes for fasteners. Clean the holes and varnish the blocks.
- After the varnish has dried, pull the laundry cord through the holes (all but the last one).
- Use a hammer drill to drill the pre-marked holes on the wall. Choose a place (this will be about the middle of the balcony) and a height so that it is convenient for you to hang your laundry. Do not forget that the dryer should not interfere with opening the door and windows on the balcony.
- Using dowels and self-tapping screws, screw the dryer to the wall. On the left block, screw a self-tapping ring or hook into the rightmost hole. This is to secure the rope.
Pull the cord and secure it with the hook. If desired, you can attach a side unit to the wall and fix the cord on it.
The base of a homemade dryer can be made from an unnecessary crib
Ceiling dryer made of hangers
Any unnecessary hangers can be converted into an original ceiling dryer. Hangers can be used from any material - plastic, wood, metal and any size, the main thing is the presence of a hook. On hangers, laundry (blouses and shirts) dries faster, but such a dryer has a certain drawback - the holes for the hangers will be located under the very ceiling and, most likely, you cannot do without a stepladder. And, of course, you cannot hang large towels and bed linen on such a dryer.
So, to make an original dryer from hangers, you will need:
- unnecessary hangers;
- unnecessary shower curtain. We only need the upper part with holes and a cornice, so it is better to take a thick polyester curtain to withstand the weight of wet things;
- fastening hooks, metal loops (equal in number to the hooks);
- tools for marking and drilling (marker, tape measure, puncher and drill to it).
- Cut off the upper part from the curtain with a cornice (a strip where there are holes for rings).
- The dryer will be located approximately in the center of the balcony. Use a puncher to drill holes for the hooks (the total distance between the hooks should not be more than the length of the curtain rod).
Screw the mounting hooks into the ceiling.
The easiest option for mounting such a dryer is on metal hooks
- Measure the distance between the attached hooks. At the same distance, attach metal loops to the curtain rod.
- Hang the curtain rod from the attached loops on the hooks in the ceiling.
Insert hangers into the holes on the curtain cut.
You can also make an original ceiling dryer from unnecessary hangers.
Umbrella sock dryer
A simple and at the same time original version of the dryer both for home and for the street - for example, for a summer cottage - an unnecessary or broken umbrella. A cane umbrella with a curved handle is better suited for this. Of course, due to the small area on such a dryer, it will be possible to decompose only small things.
- Remove the fabric cover from the umbrella.
- Open the umbrella and secure it. If the handle is curved, then the umbrella can simply be hung, for example, in the bathroom on a bracket, and if there is no handle, just insert the umbrella handle into a bucket of sand, for example. In the country, you can also hang a drying umbrella on a tree branch - then we get a street version of a clothes dryer.
An easy-to-use umbrella dryer can be placed both at home and in the country
To make a ceiling swing dryer you will need:
- round slats (made of wood) with a diameter of 30 mm 5 pcs.,
- wooden blocks (50x50 mm) 65 cm long - 2 pcs.,
- self-tapping ring - 2 pcs.,
- rope or clothesline,
- small wooden blocks (length about 6 cm) - 2 pcs.,
- a set of feather drills,
- drill and hammer drill,
- grinder + grinding attachment,
- fasteners - dowels,
- wood varnish + brush,
- marker and tape measure.
Making a swing dryer isn't easy, but you can do it if you follow the instructions carefully.
In large blocks, mark the holes, 5 cm away from the edges. There should be 5 holes, at an equal distance from each other (about 10 cm).
Large bars are the frame of the future dryer, so the material for them must be of high quality
Drill the holes and clean them with a drill. The bars can be sanded if necessary.
The drill must be used carefully so as not to break the bars.
- Using a marker and tape measure, mark the future holes for the fasteners on the ceiling. Drill holes with a puncher, attach small bars and screw in self-tapping rings.
- Insert the round slats into the holes of the large blocks. If the strips come out freely from the holes - grease with glue and let dry.
- Next, you need 2 pieces of rope, the same length. Calculate the length by your measurements - at what distance from the canvas the dryer should be. Using one piece of rope, tie a bar and 2 outer round strips from one end of the dryer. Do the same from the other side. Each segment should be in the shape of a triangle.
The length of the rope should be determined as follows: length of the rail on the ceiling + short length per knot + distance from the ceiling to the point on the wall where the side block will be (see diagram). Pass the string through the left triangle and tie a knot.
The height of the dryer can be adjusted depending on your preference
You will need another piece of rope, a little shorter. Length calculation - a little per node + distance to a side point on the wall. Tie a knot on the second triangle.
One more piece of rope is needed to adjust the length of the dryer
Pull both ropes through the rings - the long one through the left and right rings, the short one through the right only. Fix the free ends of the ropes to the wall to adjust the height of the dryer.
A ceiling mounted dryer can be made by yourself
- This is a basic design that can be used to create exclusive tumble dryers.
Video: how to choose a tumble dryer
A dryer in the house is an irreplaceable thing. It is important to choose it correctly, having determined which model suits your needs. If you could not choose the dryer that suits you, then you can make it yourself from scrap materials using a minimum of tools.
Popular by topic
Installing a warm electric floor with your own hands. Practical advice on choosing the type of underfloor heating, recommendations for the installation of cable and film floors
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work