Table of contents:
- How to trap a rat: DIY rat traps
- Why you need to catch rats
- DIY traps and traps
- How to catch rats without a rat trap
- What bait to use for rats
How to trap a rat: DIY rat traps
Contrary to popular stories that rats live only in private houses, these rodents also settle in high-rise buildings. They prefer basements and heating mains. But they also like to look into apartments. Rats are very voracious animals and are always in search of food. It’s easy for them to crawl into the tiny crevice under the floor. Having found food once in the room, the rat will return again. And if not a neighbor in the apartment, then it will become a frequent guest for sure. And such visits will please few of us. That is why, in order to get rid of an uninvited guest, we resort to various tricks and rat traps. Mouse traps can be used to trap small rats, but larger, adult pests require heavier "artillery". However, even such devices can be made by hand.
- 1 Why you need to catch rats
2 DIY traps and traps
- 2.1 Plastic bottle trap
2.2 Metal mesh rat trap
- 2.2.1 Photo Gallery: Mesh Trap Structural Elements
- 2.2.2 Video: metal mesh rat trap
- 2.3 Barrel trap
2.4 Trap from a bottle of sunflower oil
2.4.1 Video: A Simple Rat Trap
- 2.5 Jar trap
- 2.6 Electric rat trap house
- 2.7 Ultrasonic rodent repellents
- 2.8 Do-it-yourself rat trap from the pipe
2.9 Rattrap from a bucket of water
2.9.1 Video: DIY bucket trap
- 2.10 Bucket trap without water
2.11 Making a noose rat trap
2.11.1 Video: stranglehold for rodents
- 3 How to catch rats without a rat trap
- 4 What bait to use for rats
Why you need to catch rats
It would seem that a rat lives for itself, does not touch anyone. Sometimes he runs through the crack to get himself a crouton. Everything seems to be peaceful and harmless. Why catch her?
But rats are far from harmless. They are carriers of dangerous diseases. This is where it is worth remembering about the terrible epidemics in the Middle Ages that destroyed most of the population of Europe. It was rats that were then the main carriers of the bubonic plague. Rats multiply rapidly, occupying new territories. It is known that one individual is able to breed 20 rat pups in a month. This means that rats will need more food and habitat. That is why, having noticed a rodent at home, you need to immediately take measures to protect the apartment from a new neighbor.
DIY traps and traps
There are many ways to create rat traps and mouse traps. The principles for constructing a rodent trap are similar. However, these 2 devices are still different. The mousetrap is designed for small animals. Most often, this is a spring-based mechanism. When the spring is applied, the mouse is pressed down. In a mousetrap, the structure is made of wire. A rat much larger than a mouse in size and strength will not be held back by such a trap.
Rat traps are designed to keep a strong and fast rodent. And don't let the animal get out of the trap. Some rat traps can also be used to catch mice, for example, from a large plastic bottle (5 l.). A rat trap made of metal mesh will not hold mice - they can easily slip through large cells.
Plastic bottle trap
Usually this is how mice are caught, but this trap will also work for rat pups:
- We choose a plastic bottle with a volume of 5 liters, with a wide neck.
- Cut off the upper part of the bottle, turn it upside down and insert it into the bottle.
- After 1 cm from the cut, we pierce a hole through which we pass a strong thread.
- We put the bait in the bottle.
- We attach the trap to the table by the thread. We put the bottle on the surface in such a way that part of the trap with the bait is in the air, without support.
The rat makes its way to the food, as a result of which the trap loses its balance, falls and hangs in the air. The necked part of the trap can be oiled to make the surface more slippery. The rodent will no longer be able to get out of the bottle.
Scheme: making a do-it-yourself rat trap from a plastic bottle
Metal mesh rat trap
A 1cm by 1cm mesh can be purchased at a hardware store:
- Cut the mesh into rectangles with metal scissors.
- We fasten the parts of the mesh together in such a way that we get a box. You can weld the mesh or wire the rectangles.
- A Z-shaped gate valve for the cage is made of thick wire.
- One end of a metal rod is welded to it. We weld the other end to a small piece of mesh, which we place inside the cage at an angle. We get a kind of pedal, jumping on which, the rat will slam the cage door and will not be able to get out.
- We open the door, supporting its edge with a rod. We put the bait inside the cage, behind the “pedal”. The rat trap is ready.
- How to get rid of a trapped rat, everyone decides for himself.
Photo Gallery: Mesh Trap Structural Elements
Mesh trap scheme
Metal mesh cage
Video: metal mesh rat trap
An adult rodent can grow up to 35 cm in size, given the length of the tail. Even a rat-catcher cannot cope with a large and strong animal.
Then they resort to using the barrel as a trap:
- We need to find a metal barrel with a volume of about 1,000 liters.
- We install it in the shed near the wall.
- We put the bait loved by the rodent inside: corn, carrots.
The rat will climb into the barrel along the wall of the shed, but will not be able to get out.
A metal barrel makes a great rat trap
Sunflower Oil Bottle Trap
Trap designed for the bait in the form of fragrant sunflower oil:
- We take a plastic bottle. It is better to take a container with a volume of 5 liters - it has a wider neck.
- We fill one third with country sunflower oil. The liquid must be fragrant to attract rodents.
- Lubricate the neck liberally with oil.
- We set the bottle so that the rodent has access to the bait. You can put the bottle against the wall.
- The bottle can be lined with heavy boxes, bricks, or other items to secure the trap and prevent oil from spilling out.
The rat climbs onto the bottle and falls into the oil. Her brothers follow her.
Strong aroma of sunflower oil attracts rodents
Video: a simple rat trap
A trap from a minimum of materials is done like this:
- We put the bait on a piece of cardboard. We tie one end of a strong thread to it.
- At an angle above the bait, set a jar with a volume of 1-2 liters. It is better to strengthen the bank on several sides with boxes or halves of bricks.
- We pass the thread over the surface of the can.
- We tie the second end of the thread in a match, which we substitute to the bank, as a support.
The rat grabbing the bait will pull the thread. This will cause the match to fly out from under the container, slamming the trap.
The trap will slam shut as soon as the rodent reaches the bait
Electric rat trap house
Popular are homemade electrical products - "electrines" for rats:
- We build a house from plexiglass.
- One of the walls of the house will serve as an entrance for the rat: in two parallel walls we make long grooves into which we insert a glass plate. The grooves must be wider than the plate so that it can slide down easily.
- We make a half house of wood. We drill a shallow groove from the side of the door.
- We pass 2 bare wires through it, which cross. The wires should go to the trap door.
A rat trapped in a trap is killed by an electric shock.
Electrical trap circuit
Ultrasonic rodent repeller
The use of ultrasonic devices to scare away rats and mice is effective and environmentally friendly. It avoids the use of poisons and chemicals that can harm not only rodents, but also children and pets. Electronic scarers use a sound frequency of over 20 Hz, which rodents cannot tolerate. Modern devices eliminate the habituation of animals, since they constantly change the intensity and frequency of the waves. This is irritating to rats and also disorienting. Ultrasound begins to act on rodents already in the first hours of work. According to experts, the repeller should work for a day. Then it is turned off. After 12 hours, the device connects again and works until the rodents disappear completely.
When using the repeller indoors, you need to remove unnecessary items. Waves cannot break through sacks of potatoes or brick partitions. Therefore, in some cases, it is better to put 2 or 3 devices. They must be installed no closer than 5 meters from each other.
You can buy rodent repellents at hardware stores, supermarkets, and the market. You can use online stores. When choosing such a means of struggle, you need to familiarize yourself with the parameters. Many devices have modes that can be used when people and pets are absent or present in the room. It is worth familiarizing yourself with the possibility of manually setting the repeller, as well as transferring it to automatic mode.
An effective tool, but many parameters for its use will have to be considered
DIY rat trap from the pipe
The bottom line is the same live trap from a mesh, only it is from a pipe, a door on springs:
- Close one of the holes in the pipe tightly with a fine metal mesh. It can be fixed with self-tapping screws.
- Make a deep cut at the other end of the pipe. We insert a round door into it, the diameter coinciding with the diameter of the pipe. The door can be cut out of wood or metal. The cut should be 1–2 mm wider than the door width.
- We tie a strong thread to the door. The bait should be attached to the other end of the string.
- Place the bait in the pipe along the entire length of the thread.
- Raise the door and set it on a weak support, for example, a thin twig.
The animal runs into the pipe to smell, grabs the bait. The thread twitches and lowers the door.
Humane rodent control
Rat trap from a bucket of water
Simple and frequently used construction:
- We bend the U-shaped frame from the wire.
- Cut a rectangle out of plastic. The width and length of the rectangular plate should be slightly less than the wire frame.
- We make a through hole in the plate.
- Place the plate inside the wire structure and fix it with a nail or screw. The plastic should rotate easily inside the wire, but not fly off the fastener.
- We attach a plastic cover to the free ends of the wire (we use this one for home canning).
- We install the structure on the bucket so that one edge of the plate is on the side of the bucket. The other edge should be above the water.
- We attach a rail or board to the bucket so that the rat can climb onto the plate.
- Pour bait into the lid, for example, cake. It can be purchased from fishing shops.
The rat climbs up the rail onto the plate. Moves along it to the bait. Above water, under the weight of a rodent, the plate turns over, throwing the rat into the water.
You should get such a construction
Video: do-it-yourself bucket trap
Bucket trap without water
The method is similar to making a trap from a can:
- Turn the bucket upside down. We put bricks on several sides so that the animal cannot overturn the trap.
- We take a large coin.
- We install a bucket on its edge.
- Place the bait under the bucket next to the coin.
Smelling the smell, the animal will try to get the bait and touch the coin. The trap will slam shut.
For a trap, it's best to use a metal bucket. It will be more difficult for a rodent to get out from under it.
Making a noose rat trap
If you decide to wage a "war" with rodents in an inhumane way, then an option is possible:
- We make a loop from a cord or rubber band. The loop should be free to tighten.
- We attach the noose to the edge of a wooden board or plywood so that the tip of the tape hangs down.
- We attach the bait to the edge of the board in such a way that the path of the rat to the food runs through the loop.
- We tie a strong thread to the bait, one end of which we tie to the noose, the other to the load. The weight can be a kitchen hammer, a piece of brick, or a pry bar.
- To prevent the rat trap from falling from the surface on which we put it, we press the board with bricks or blocks. The blocks can be closed with a paper screen fixed to the board.
- When the rat grabs the bait, the weight falls, tightening the stranglehold on the rodent.
Video: stranglehold for rodents
How to catch rats without a rat trap
Sometimes there is simply not enough time to make a rat trap. We suggest using folk methods that will help get rid of rats in a short time.
- Wood ash. Enough 1 bucket of ash per 10 m 2. We scatter it on the floor of the basement, cellar or shed. Ash contains alkali. It sticks to the paws of rodents and, when washed, gets into the stomach, irritating the internal organs. This causes some discomfort to rats, and after a while they try to find another place of residence for themselves.
- To get rid of rodents, mix flour and gypsum powder. You need to put a container with water nearby. Rodents, having eaten such a bait, washed down with water, soon die.
- Rats do not like the smells of formalin and kerosene. In order for the rodents to leave the shed or basement, it is worth sprinkling the floors with one of these compounds. It is better to carry out such processing in the fall in order to keep the crop intact and safe.
- You can get a rat catcher. He knows exactly where the rats live, and how to deal with them. Despite the amazing hunting qualities of the animal, you do not need to close it in the barn. It will be better if the cat has the opportunity to freely leave the room: a large number of rats can seriously injure the rat catcher.
- In addition to all of the above, rats do not like the smell of mint. Therefore, the branches of the plant can be laid out along the walls and in the corners of the room.
- Ground pepper scattered on the floor also has a negative effect on rodents. It clogs up in the nose and prevents breathing. Sprinkle pepper only near the nest. The rats soon die.
- Bay leaf is also considered a poison for these animals. Therefore, you can spread the leaves in the corners of the room.
Adhesive traps. Glue, for example, ALT, "Trap", "Clean House", is applied to the surface of a thick cardboard, bait is placed in the center. The rat, seeking food, will firmly stick to the trap. The main advantage of these traps is that they are non-toxic. They can be used both at home and outdoors.
The adhesive trap is easy to use and effective
What bait to use for rats
Whichever trap we use, the rats must be lured to it. These should be foods with a strong odor:
- sunflower village oil;
- smoked meats.
It is not necessary to use only one method to get rid of rodents. An integrated approach, using several methods at once, will allow you to catch rats faster and more efficiently and find the desired peace of mind.