Table of contents:
- DIY chimney: from words to deeds
- Purpose of the chimney
- Chimney device and pipe diameter calculation
- Preparatory work and necessary materials and tools
- Chimney installation
- Chimney operation and cleaning rules
- Video: chimney for a long burning oven
Video: How To Make A Chimney For A Potbelly Stove With Your Own Hands: Diagram, Calculation (including Diameter), Photo, Video, Etc
DIY chimney: from words to deeds
A properly made chimney perfectly removes smoke, supports wood burning, and creates good draft. And every home craftsman can make a chimney for a stove.
Purpose of the chimney
The chimney is designed to discharge combustion products into the atmosphere. They are removed, allowing air to flow into the furnace and supporting combustion. Therefore, any solid fuel heating device must be equipped with a chimney.
Chimney device and pipe diameter calculation
For a small portable stove structure, a lightweight collapsible chimney system is required. At the entrance to the chimney, a damper is located and opens during the furnace. The part of the pipe located inside the furnace serves as a heat exchanger. Leaving the premises should be done short. The pipe consists of two or more elements, so that it is convenient to replace burnt-out areas. Its diameter should be calculated in a ratio to the volume of the firebox 1: 2.7. For example, if the combustion chamber is 60 liters, the pipe should be 160 mm in diameter.
Preparatory work and necessary materials and tools
First of all, you need to determine where the chimney will exit from the room. Then make a hole in the ceiling (wall). It is possible to withdraw the pipeline through the window. It all depends on the room, the location of the stove and the amount of material used. The pipe must not come into contact with the ceiling, as insulating elements will be used. It is worth removing flammable substances from the cracks.
Materials and tools used
For work, you should prepare tools:
- welding machine;
- a hammer;
scissors for tin.
For the successful assembly of the chimney, you need to prepare all the elements and the necessary tools
The material should also be lightweight and heat resistant. Usually metal is used. You can take a pipe made of asbestos cement, but only at the top of the system, because it does not withstand temperatures above 280 degrees. To install a standard chimney you need:
- metal pipes with a diameter of 160 mm (two or more);
- metal tee with a diameter of 160 mm;
- knee with a diameter of 100 mm, a length of 1200 mm;
- elbow for joints with a diameter of 160 mm (the number depends on the constituent elements);
- means for sealing joints;
- thermal insulation elements (asbestos cord, mineral wool, heat-resistant sealant);
- umbrella to protect the outer pipe outlet.
First of all, it is necessary to determine the junction of the inner and outer parts of the pipe. Better to do this in the attic or just under the roof.
To install the chimney, it is best to use the diagram
- To extend the life of the chimney, a cast iron knee can be installed at the exit from the stove. It's good if its height is about a meter.
- Then install the next part of the metal pipe, another one, there should be as many as the sections of the chimney we planned.
- Lead out and connect the internal and external parts of the chimney through the passage glass. The chimney must be higher than the roof.
- Equip the pipe exit point from the roof with a passage nozzle. Remember to remove flammable insulation materials to avoid fire.
- It is recommended to use sheet metal to fix the chimney.
- The outer part of the chimney must be covered with bitumen.
An umbrella should be installed at the outer end to protect the chimney from rain and debris.
The chimney can be fixed in the ceiling
For the construction of a stove chimney in a garage, the same principles are needed - light and heat-resistant materials are used, thermal insulation is used. It is necessary to remember about fire safety. The room should be well ventilated. Gasoline, fuel and other flammable substances should be stored in a specially designated place.
You can lead the pipeline through the wall. Installation principle:
- Make a hole in the wall.
- Clear from flammable materials.
- Lead the pipe outside through the through glass.
- Fix it with sheets of tin.
Install a support on the outside of the bracket, fix the chimney parts to it.
The chimney is allowed through the wall
- The final stage of the assembly of the structure is sealing. Thoroughly coat all seams and joints with heat-resistant sealant.
- After complete drying, you need to check the quality of work. To do this, you should flood the stove. If the smoke does not seep in and out of the firebox, everything is done correctly.
Another option for the outlet of the chimney: through the window. It is convenient to use a window. Take out the glass and fix the pipe with a sheet of sheet metal, securely fix it on the support installed outside.
We use the window to output the pipe
Chimney operation and cleaning rules
Approximately every six months, you must carefully inspect the structure. The safety of people and buildings depends on this. If areas of burnt, rusty, or cracked metal are found, they should be replaced. This is the advantage of the prefabricated structure.
Chimney cleaning features
Remember to clean your chimney once or twice a year or as needed. A build-up of soot and ash impairs traction and interferes with the normal emission of smoke, making the structure heavy. There are mechanical, chemical and folk cleaning methods. But it is impossible to clean the chimney of a potbelly stove by means of mechanical cleaning of stationary stoves. It is best to use ready-made chemicals by adding them to the wood during the fire. You can buy similar compositions in specialized stores. If you prefer traditional methods, heat with aspen logs. The high combustion temperature will burn out the soot.
Video: chimney for a long burning oven
Now it is clear that making a chimney for a stove with your own hands is not difficult. Stick to technology, be smart, get the right materials. Make sure that it is working properly and use the system for many years.
Popular by topic
Installing a warm electric floor with your own hands. Practical advice on choosing the type of underfloor heating, recommendations for the installation of cable and film floors
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
A description of the symptoms and causative agents of cabbage diseases. methods of control and prevention
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices