Table of contents:
- Entrance wooden insulated doors: design, installation and operation
- Arrangement of an entrance wooden insulated door
- Manufacturing of entrance wooden doors with insulation
- How to insulate a front wooden door with your own hands
- Features of installation and operation of the door
Video: Insulated Wooden Entrance Doors: Device, Components, Installation And Operation Features
Entrance wooden insulated doors: design, installation and operation
Recently, metal and plastic entrance doors have gained popularity, but wooden structures still do not go out of fashion. This is easy to explain, since the tree has not only high heat and sound insulation characteristics, but also looks beautiful. And if the entrance wooden door is additionally insulated and sheathed, then it will perfectly protect from the cold and decorate any house.
1 Arrangement of an entrance wooden insulated door
1.1 Insulated door structure
2 Manufacturing of entrance wooden doors with insulation
- 2.1 Material for door insulation
- 2.2 Video: the process of self-manufacturing of an insulated entrance door for a bath
3 How to insulate a wooden entrance door with your own hands
- 3.1 Strengthening the door frame
- 3.2 Fitting the sealing elements
- 3.3 Sealing gaps using rollers
3.4 Sheathing the door with insulation
3.4.1 Foam insulation
- 3.5 Video: step-by-step self-production of an insulated door
4 Features of installation and operation of the door
- 4.1 Video: installation of a purchased wooden door with a box
- 4.2 Features of operation
- 5 Reviews
Arrangement of an entrance wooden insulated door
Models intended for outdoor installation can withstand temperature changes and retain their original characteristics and appearance throughout the entire service life. In addition to the fact that insulated wooden doors do not let heat through, modern processing technologies ensure a long service life of such structures.
The entrance insulated wooden door has high performance characteristics and a beautiful appearance
A wooden entrance door has the following advantages:
minimal heat loss - due to the weak thermal conductivity of wood and the presence of a layer of insulation in the house, the optimal temperature is maintained, money is saved on heating costs;
A wooden door with internal insulation can be made as a panel
- no condensation - there is no large temperature drop on the door surface. And the absence of moisture on the door leaf and on the wall allows you to increase their service life;
- good sound insulation;
A wooden front door can become a real decoration of a private house
Insulated door structure
Modern technologies make it possible to create high-quality and reliable wooden doors. They are installed both at the entrance to the house and to the apartment. An insulated wooden door consists of the following elements:
frame - made of solid wood or wooden blocks;
The frame of a wooden door can be assembled by hand if you have experience with wood material
- insulation - applied from the outside or inside of the finished door, and on top of it is sheathing with decorative material. In wooden houses, the insulation on the door is sheathed with slats. There are factory options when a layer of insulation is placed inside the door. If the door is made of frame independently, then the insulation is spread between the sheets of chipboard or MDF;
The presence of different types of insulation of the front door allows you to choose the desired method for each specific case
sealant - is attached along the perimeter of the canvas or box, or in both places at once. This is done with glue, double-sided tape or furniture nails. The thickness of the seal must correspond to the gap between the frame and the door leaf, therefore in each case it is selected individually.
The seal ensures a tight fit of the door leaf to the door frame
A small lunge is made on the door leaves to close the gap between the box and the canvas.
Different types of heat-insulating materials can be used to insulate a wooden door.
Manufacturing of entrance wooden doors with insulation
The ideal option is to buy a ready-made insulated door. However, the cost of this design is quite high. But on the other hand, you can insulate your old one or make a new insulated entrance door yourself.
Door insulation material
First, you need to figure out what kind of insulation is used for wooden doors. Such materials include:
corrugated cardboard (cellular cellulose) - consists of many honeycombs, fits inside the door leaf. To achieve the desired thermal insulation qualities of the door, it will have to be laid in at least three layers. Corrugated cardboard does not differ in high characteristics, therefore, it is not suitable for insulating a street door into a house. But they can insulate the door to an entrance or to an apartment that is not on the first floor;
Corrugated board is a simple and cheap material with poor insulating qualities
- Styrofoam (expanded polystyrene) is a lightweight and inexpensive material with good insulating characteristics. Disadvantages: absorbs moisture (condensate accumulates in it, the door freezes), low fire safety, toxic substances are released during its combustion. Over time, gaps appear between individual foam plates, heat loss through such a door increases;
If the front door is insulated with foam, then it is better to use large pieces, and not fold a mosaic of small
mineral wool - poorly conducts heat, does not rot and does not burn. The cost is higher than that of foam. Cotton wool is ideal insulation for walls, facades or attic, but not very suitable for doors. Since when using the door, blows occur, as a result of which the cotton wool settles and crumples;
To protect mineral wool from moisture, you must additionally use a waterproofing film
- polyurethane - a material in the form of foam fills well the voids of the door leaf and after a while turns into a dense porous mass. Pros: does not burn, is not afraid of moisture and does not settle during the operation of the door. A 25 mm thick layer of polyurethane foam is enough to provide the same thermal protection as a 650 mm thick brick wall;
Polyurethane foam is an excellent material for insulating an entrance wooden door
foam rubber - a type of foamed polyurethane, produced in rolls or plates. It is used for thermal insulation of a wooden door from the outside. Different types of foam rubber differ in thickness and density. For covering the door leaf, sheets with a thickness of at least 30 mm are used. Narrow rollers are also made of this material. They are mounted along the perimeter of the door in the form of seals;
It is convenient to work with foam rubber: it is light, soft and pliable
Isolon - on one side it has a foil coating that reflects heat into the room. Isolone thickness can be different;
Izolon is usually used to insulate the door from the outside
batting and felt - these materials have been used before. Nowadays they are practically not used to insulate entrance doors, as they quickly lose their protective characteristics;
Batting and felt are now more often used in the manufacture of furniture, warm clothes and various interior items
genuine leather or artificial (leatherette) - auxiliary materials with which the door leaf is sheathed over the insulation. They are also an additional layer of thermal insulation;
For upholstery of the front door from the inside of the room, artificial or genuine leather is most often used
- rubber is also an auxiliary material, it is used to create wide seals, with the help of which the gaps between the box and the canvas are closed.
Any of the materials described can be used to insulate the door. It is only necessary to choose the correct thickness and perform the installation with high quality. But at the moment, polyurethane is considered the optimal insulation.
Video: the process of self-manufacturing of the insulated entrance door for the bath
How to insulate a front wooden door with your own hands
If you decide to insulate a wooden front door yourself, first you need to decide on the state of the door leaf and frame. They must be of high quality and free from damage. And also it is necessary to take into account that the insulated door will become heavier. Therefore, it is important that the hinges can support the new weight.
Strengthening the door frame
First, the condition of the door frame is assessed. If it dangles, then you should additionally fix it.
Then the geometry of the doorframe is checked. If in some places the door rubs against the box, such a violation must be eliminated. For this, either the hinges are tightened more, or the door leaf is fitted with a plane.
Installation of sealing elements
When choosing them, you must take into account the size of the gap between the leaf and the door frame. It is important to correctly measure the perimeter of the web so as not to be mistaken with the length of the self-adhesive seal, as it is produced in rolls.
To install the seal, just remove the protective film from it and stick it on the door and door frame
Sealing gaps with rollers
Usually the rollers are made of the same material that is used for upholstering the door: leather or leatherette.
Leather rollers are nailed either from the inside along the edges of the doorframe, or from the outside along the edges of the door itself: they are installed with additional overlap
Warming process with rollers:
Strips are cut from the upholstery material. Their length should correspond to the length of the part to which they will be mounted. If you need to make a roller 5–6 cm wide, then the width of the strip will be 10–12 cm.
To create a roller, strips of leatherette are used, inside which cut foam rubber is placed
- Insulation is placed inside the strip: foam rubber, felt or batting. The strip is folded in half lengthwise, and its edges are folded inward.
The finished roller is nailed with furniture nails around the perimeter of the door or door frame.
The roller should protrude slightly beyond the door leaf, overlapping the joints between the door and the door frame
For better protection against cold, the roller should protrude 2-3 cm beyond the door leaf or jamb.
Door sheathing with insulation
Although the process of insulating a door requires some effort and knowledge, there is nothing complicated in it, everything can be done independently. For this you will need:
- a hammer;
- measuring instruments;
- stationery knife.
Any soft insulation is suitable for this method of door trimming: foam rubber, mineral wool, polyurethane, isolon. The sequence of work is as follows:
- The cloth is removed from the hinges and placed on a flat surface.
Measure the dimensions of the door leaf.
To determine the size of the insulation and upholstery, you need to correctly measure the door leaf
- Determine the size of the insulation and upholstery. After measuring the door leaf, the obtained dimensions are transferred to the insulation, 1 cm is taken away from each side. For the upholstery, on the contrary, 3-5 cm are added to the door dimensions.
- Fittings are removed from the door so as not to interfere.
A layer of insulation is laid on the door, securing it. Cover the top with upholstery, its edges are folded under the insulation.
It is important to fix the insulation well so that it does not move during operation and does not form voids
Using nails, fix the upholstery around the perimeter of the door leaf. During this, it is necessary to constantly tighten the material tightly, otherwise folds may form. Fastening is best done from the middle of the door to the edges.
Decorative nails with wide heads are used to fix the upholstery so that the leather in these places is not damaged.
- Carefully make holes for the handles, peephole and lock. After that, all the parts are fixed in place.
- The rollers are nailed.
They decorate the door with a decorative pattern, which also serves as an additional fixation of the insulation. To do this, a certain pattern is applied to the upholstery with chalk, decorative nails are nailed along its contours. A line or thin copper wire can be pulled between these nails.
When creating a decorative pattern, you need to monitor the uniform tension of the fishing line between the nails
- Hang the door on its hinges.
Here the sequence of work will be slightly different from the previous version. With the help of foam plastic, there are two ways to insulate a wooden door:
- Styrofoam sheets are cut to fit the door, laid out on top of it and glued. Then sheathing is carried out with upholstery.
Wooden slats or bars are stuffed along the perimeter of the door leaf: their width should correspond to the thickness of the foam. Insulation is glued between the slats. A hard finishing material is applied and fixed on top of the slats: wooden lining, laminated chipboard, plywood, etc.
Insulation of entrance doors with foam is most often used for non-residential premises (garages, baths)
Video: step-by-step self-production of an insulated door
Features of installation and operation of the door
Installation of an insulated wooden entrance door into a wall opening is performed in the same sequence as any other. You can cope with this task yourself, but first you need to prepare tools and materials:
- electric drill;
- a hammer;
- building level;
- screwdriver or a set of screwdrivers;
- anchor bolts;
- polyurethane foam;
- wooden wedges.
The door installation process consists of the following steps:
Preparing the doorway - if an old door is hanging, then it must be dismantled together with the box. After that, the opening is cleaned from old plaster, polyurethane foam. If voids have formed, they are sealed with cement mortar. With the help of a grinder and a punch, the protruding parts of the opening are removed.
The edges of the opening are made even: its size should correspond to the size of the door frame
Mounting the frame - the door frame is installed in the prepared opening and is aligned horizontally and vertically using wooden wedges.
Wedges are evenly distributed along the perimeter of the box, with their help they fix the position of the door frame in the opening
Installation check - the building level checks the correct installation of the box. The size of the diagonals must be controlled: they must be equal.
Using the building level, they check the correct installation of the door frame: it should not be skewed, otherwise the door will not close
Fixing the box - holes are drilled in the box with an electric drill, through which it is attached to the opening with anchor bolts.
The upper parts of the anchor bolts expand inside the opening during tightening, so such fastening becomes more reliable
- Installation of the leaf - the door is hung on the hinges, its free movement is checked. Three hinges are used for the insulated entrance door.
Sealing the structure - the gap between the box and the wall is filled with polyurethane foam, while the canvas should be closed. Then platbands are attached around the box.
The polyurethane foam must be squeezed out little by little, so that after it swells large protruding pieces do not stick out
Video: installation of a purchased wooden door with a box
Features of operation
When buying an entrance door, it is important to pay attention to what materials it is made of and how high quality it is. And if the door is installed correctly, then during its operation, it remains to adhere to the following recommendations:
- shelter from rain and direct sunlight by installing a visor over it;
- monitor the integrity of the surface. If damage occurs, repair work must be carried out immediately. If the damage is serious, then you will have to contact the restorers, but even this will be cheaper than buying a new door;
take proper care of the door: periodically wipe it off from dust, stains and other dirt (depending on the type of door covering). This can be done in several ways:
- 10% alcohol solution;
- soapy water.
- for cleaning, do not use chemical and abrasive substances;
you can restore the appearance of a wooden surface with a special polish or wax pencil. They eliminate minor scratches and add shine;
Wax crayons are available in a variety of colors, making it easy to choose the right color for door restoration
- it is impossible to place heating devices next to the door, as this will lead to drying out and cracking of the wood.
Modern entrance wooden doors are manufactured using advanced technologies. This ensures their high insulating characteristics, and in terms of their strength, they are not inferior to cheap metal doors. If it is decided to insulate your front door on your own, then it is easier to do it with foam rubber and leatherette trim. And when creating a new insulated door, a frame option is more available.