Table of contents:
- We remove the blockage in the kitchen sink ourselves
- Reasons for clogged sewer pipes
- Methods for cleaning the drain
- Causes of an unpleasant odor from the kitchen sink
- What to do if the tap is clogged
- Blockage prevention
We remove the blockage in the kitchen sink ourselves
Clogs in the kitchen are very inconvenient. But it is not difficult to cope with them using methods tried in practice.
1 Reasons for clogged sewer pipes
- 1.1 How to clean the siphon
- 1.2 We disassemble the siphon
2 Methods for cleaning the drain
2.1 People advise
- 2.1.1 Soda
- 2.1.2 Video: how to eliminate the blockage of the sink using folk methods
- 2.1.3 Alka-Seltzer tablets
- 2.1.4 Vacuum cleaner with blow-off function
2.2 Mechanical methods
- 2.2.1 Ventus
- 2.2.2 Plumbing cable
- 2.2.3 Video: how to get rid of a blockage in a sink
- 1 Table of remedies for removing blockages
- 2.3.2 Photo gallery of means from pollution in sewer pipes
3 Causes of unpleasant odors from the kitchen sink
3.1 Eliminate amber
- 3.1.1 Mustard
- 3.1.2 Bleach solution
- 3.1.3 Video: How to Get Rid of Sink Odor
4 What to do if the tap is clogged
4.1 Video: how to clean the tap
- 5 Prevention of blockages
Reasons for clogged sewer pipes
Blockages form in sewer pipes, siphons and are often accompanied by a persistent and unpleasant odor. When living in an apartment building, you may not be the culprit for poor sewerage performance, since fat plugs in pipes appear anywhere.
A sudden blockage in the kitchen can be particularly uncomfortable
Regular contamination prevention can help you avoid frustration.
The main causes of blockages in the kitchen:
- accumulation of food waste in the drain hole of the sink;
- the presence of rags, cellophane bags, sponges and other items in the pipes;
- fat, salt and lime deposits on the pipe walls, as well as rust.
The most common cause of blockages is food waste that gets into the drain hole when washing dishes.
How to clean the siphon
The most common blockage occurs in the siphon located between the kitchen sink and the outlet to the sewer pipe. To clean it, follow the instructions:
- Place a bucket under the siphon to collect any remaining dirty water.
- Unscrew the bottom of the device.
- Flush and replace the sump.
- Drain the water.
A lot of debris accumulates in the siphon, making it difficult for water to drain from the sink
We disassemble the siphon
If the water has not left, a complete disassembly of the siphon will be required.
- Unscrew the nuts (one goes into the drain pipe and the other goes under the sink).
- Remove the siphon, disassemble and rinse.
- Assemble the device and refit it by tightening the nuts.
- If the water is still stagnant, clean up the clogged pipes.
Having studied the diagram, you can easily disassemble and assemble the siphon yourself
Methods for cleaning the drain
There are mechanical and chemical methods for removing blockages from the kitchen sink. People's advice is best used for simple pollution or for prevention purposes.
The people advise
If the pipes are steel, carefully pour a pot of boiling water into the drain hole. To clean the plastic drain, it is enough to turn on the hot water tap for 20 minutes. A loose grease plug will dissolve on its own and the sink will clean itself.
The baking soda will provide the desired results. For this you will need:
- 1 glass of baking soda;
- 0.5 cups of salt;
- 1 glass of water.
- Dissolve the indicated ingredients in water.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Clean the pipes with a plunger.
- Flush the pipes with a stream of clean water.
Soda solution will help to cope with simple blockages
- Pour 150 g of baking soda into the drain hole.
- Pour in 150 g of table vinegar (9%).
- Close the hole with the plug.
- Wait 20 minutes and turn on high-pressure hot water.
Video: how to eliminate the blockage of the sink using folk methods
Alka-Seltzer tablets help to clear a simple blockage in the siphon.
- Place 2 Alka-Seltzer tablets in the drain hole of the sink.
- Pour in 1 cup of vinegar (9%).
- Leave it on for 2 minutes.
- Turn on high-pressure hot water.
With the help of Alka-Seltzer, you can get rid of simple blockages and unpleasant odors emanating from the drain hole of the sink
Vacuum cleaner with blowing function
- Wrap a rag around the tube of the vacuum cleaner.
- Place it firmly in the sink drain.
- Push through the blockage with a powerful stream of air.
If traditional methods were unsuccessful, take up special devices.
The plunger allows you to cope with uncomplicated sewer blockages yourself. The device is equipped with a wooden handle and a rubber oval tip, the bend of which is able to hold water for a while.
- Fill a sink with hot water.
- Install the plunger over the drain hole.
- Exercise a few vigorous presses while firmly holding the handle of the tool. The pressure drop created will destroy the plug.
- Remove the plunger and drain the water.
Using a plunger, you can get rid of the blockage in the sink yourself
In case of severe clogging, a plumbing cable made of solid steel with a brush or a spiral at the end will help to correct the situation. It is flexible, therefore it penetrates into various sections of the sewer pipe. When performing work, follow the instructions:
- Lower the end of the cable into the drain hole of the sink.
- Rotating around the longitudinal axis, direct it towards the intended blockage.
- Move the rope back and forth, while being careful not to damage the pipes.
- After breaking through the blockage, remove the cable.
- Wash the device from dirt.
- Flush the pipes with plenty of hot water.
It is necessary to work with the plumbing cable carefully so as not to damage the sewer pipes
Video: how to get rid of a blockage in the sink
The best option for cleaning pipes is considered to be the use of special chemical solutions, a wide range of which is presented on store shelves.
There are concentrated compositions designed for different types of sewer pipes. Before purchase and use, you should carefully read the instructions. To work with plastic and aluminum pipes, purchase non-aggressive acidic substances, for metal pipes - alkaline ones.
Follow the general rules for working with special gels and powders.
- 20 minutes before using the selected product, treat the pipes with boiling water (plastic - hot water).
- According to the instructions, pour the required amount of the product into the drain hole of the sink.
- After the specified time has passed, rinse the pipes and sink with water.
Blockage remover table
|Mole||A corrosive substance that is dangerous to humans. Contains sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide combined with ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. The product is not recommended for cleaning plastic and aluminum pipes. When working, wear protective gloves, goggles, a mask or respirator, and ventilate the area.|
|Bagi Pothan||The drug is sold in canisters and in the form of granules and has antibacterial properties. Formulated with alkaline ingredients for an immediate effect. Has a pungent smell and is dangerous to humans. Use protective equipment when cleaning pipes.|
|Mister Muscle||Highly effective product presented in the form of powder, gel, foam. The composition includes sodium hydroxide. It is recommended to wear gloves and a mask when using.|
|Tiret||A specialized substance with an alkaline and acidic composition, which is safe for plastic pipes. Possesses high efficiency. Prerequisite: work with gloves.|
Photo gallery of means from pollution in sewer pipes
With the help of the universal remedy Mole, you can get rid of the blockage
Bugi Pothan is a powerful drug that allows you to effectively clean pipes about accumulated dirt
Tiret has a wide range of products designed for the maintenance of sewer pipes made of various materials
Mr Muscle is highly effective against blockages
Causes of an unpleasant odor from the kitchen sink
When blockages form in the kitchen, an unpleasant smell from the drain appears. Reasons for the appearance of amber:
- damage to sewer pipes, as well as their joints;
- a torn off water seal;
- vacuum plug in the riser;
- poor ventilation of the sewer system and a small diameter of the riser (the problem cannot be eliminated without plumbers);
- clogging of the siphon and corrugated pipe.
Often the cause of unpleasant odors lies in the water seal, from which the water evaporates, due to the infrequent use of the tap. Before a long absence from the house, pour engine oil into the drain.
Unpleasant odor can be caused by evaporation of moisture from the water seal.
You can deal with unpleasant odors from the sink with the tools at hand.
- Pour 150 g of mustard into the drain hole.
- Add hot water.
- Carefully pour the bleach solution into the drain hole.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Flush the pipes with water.
Air fresheners can be used, but they won't solve the problem.
Video: how to get rid of the smell from the sink
What to do if the tap is clogged
Weak water pressure at the tap can cause a blockage in the drain. The most common reasons:
- a plug in the system due to scale and rust;
- clogged aerator or filter insert.
If the tap is clogged, the following measures should be taken.
- Dismantle the aerator on the faucet spout.
- Clean the nozzles, rinse with high pressure water.
- Replace the aerator.
Solids build up on the aerator, obstructing the passage of water
If the aerator is clean, check the faucet itself.
- Remove the tap valve.
- Remove the lock washer securing the valve to the body seat.
- Remove the shut-off assembly and remove the dirt.
- Assemble the valve in reverse order.
In some cases, a complete disassembly of the valve is required for high-quality removal of blockage in it.
To eliminate the blockage of pipes, which affects the intensity of the water pressure in the tap, follow the instructions:
- Shut off the water using the central valve.
- Remove the coarse filter plug. Rinse the removed wire cassette thoroughly.
- Install the filter element in its original place by changing the seal and screwing the plug.
Inspect the fine cleaning system:
- Disconnect the water supply.
- Check the pressure in the free pipe by opening the central valve.
- Rinse the filter bowl, replace the insert.
- Assemble the system by installing all its elements in their original place.
Video: how to clean the tap
If none of the steps listed above leads to the expected results, seek the help of professionals using specialized skills and techniques.
To mess around with dirty "plugs" in pipes less often, follow the preventive recommendations:
Take care of additional equipment of the drain hole with specialized grids that retain food waste during the dishwashing process.
With the help of such a mesh, you can avoid getting various food waste and foreign objects into the drain.
- Do not empty greasy liquids, including vegetable oil, from cooking food into the sink.
- Before washing the dishes, clean off any food debris in the trash can.
- Use a plunger and hot water to clean your kitchen sink twice a month.
- Install a special waste shredder in the sink (Before purchasing, make sure it can be installed).
The waste grinder can help prevent blockages in the sewer pipes
Follow the recommendations and remove minor blockages in the kitchen sink yourself. Remember: adherence to simple rules and regular prevention will help you avoid troubles that affect the level of comfort.