Table of contents:
- Candied pumpkin recipes at home
- Required ingredients
- Classic recipe for candied pumpkin
- Low-calorie honey treat
- Video recipe for making pumpkin sweets
- Not a single pumpkin
- Hostess reviews and advice
Video: Candied Pumpkin In The Oven: Step By Step Recipes + Photos
Candied pumpkin recipes at home
We used to call candied fruits dried candied fruits - citrus fruits, dried apricots, prunes, bananas. We often buy them in the store as a tasty and healthy treat. Candied fruits are an excellent substitute for sweets, they will appeal to both children and adults. Did you know that you can cook candied pumpkin fruits yourself in the oven?
- 1 Required ingredients
- 2 The classic recipe for candied pumpkin
- 3 Low-calorie honey treat
- 4 Video recipe for making pumpkin sweets
5 Not a single pumpkin
- 5.1 "Quick" candied fruits with lemon
- 5.2 With oranges
- 5.3 Spicy candied fruits
- 6 Reviews and advice from hostesses
Pumpkin has long been known to us as a source of vitamins and microelements necessary for the body. Everyone knows how useful this fruit is. We are used to freezing pumpkin for the winter or canning, so that later we can use it as an addition to stews, cereals, casseroles. But candied pumpkin fruits seem to be something unusual. But in vain, because their taste is very delicate, they literally melt in your mouth.
Almost any pumpkin variety is suitable for candied fruits, except for decorative (they do not have enough pulp) and fodder, the pulp of which is tough and fresh. The main thing is that the fruits are ripe, well ripe. The sweetest and tastiest, they are also called "porridge", can be recognized by their bright orange color. But even if you don't have any, any will do. You just need to take a little more sugar.
Candied pumpkin can easily replace any candy
In addition to pumpkin pulp, for the preparation of candied fruits you will need sugar, water, aromatic spices (vanillin, cinnamon, cloves, and others). Powdered sugar is often used to decorate the treats. It will come in handy if the pumpkin chosen for cooking is not bright enough.
Sugar can be replaced with honey - such candied fruits are even healthier. In addition, oranges and lemons can be added to the preparation to get a rich taste and bright aroma.
Classic recipe for candied pumpkin
There is nothing complicated in the preparation of candied fruits, but it will take a lot of time. But since the oven will help us, we can get it done faster.
For a classic recipe you will need:
- 1 kg of pumpkin pulp;
- 300 g of water;
- 1.2 kg of granulated sugar;
- 3 g citric acid;
- vanillin on the tip of a knife.
Peel the pumpkin. For this, it is convenient to use a vegetable peeler: it carefully and thinly cuts off the strips of skin. If the pumpkin is a little old and the skin is tight, it is best to use a sharp knife.
Ripe sweet pumpkins of 'porridge' varieties are suitable for candied fruits
Completely select the core with seeds. For work, you only need dense pulp.
Peel and cut the pumpkin into pieces
Cut the peeled pumpkin into medium-sized cubes. They need to be blasted for 7 minutes in boiling water. Transfer them immediately to cold water to cool. Blanching is a short-term treatment of any food product with boiling water or steam. Unlike boiling, blanching does not lead to a loss of vitamins or flavor.
Blanch the pumpkin in boiling water, then cool
In the meantime, prepare the candied fruit syrup. Add sugar and citric acid to a pot of water. Boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Make sugar syrup
The pumpkin cubes are already cold. Transfer them to a fine sieve and wait for all the water to drain.
Let the water drain completely
Place the pumpkin in a saucepan with syrup and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat, stirring slightly to prevent the food from burning. After that, set aside the workpiece for 10 hours to infuse.
Boil pumpkin pieces in syrup
- Put the pan with the workpiece on low heat again, boil for 15 minutes and leave for another 10 hours.
On the third cooking, bring the pumpkin to a boil. Finally add vanillin to the mixture.
Pumpkin pieces need to be boiled in syrup several times.
- Place the boiled pumpkin cubes on a fine sieve. Wait for the syrup to drain completely. This will take about two hours.
Put the dried and chilled pumpkin slices in one row on a baking sheet and send to the oven, preheating it to 40 degrees, for about 3 hours.
Spread the candied fruits on a baking sheet and dry for 2-3 hours
- Remove the half-finished candied fruit from the oven for further processing.
- Roll each piece in granulated sugar and put it again in one layer on a baking sheet. Keep the candied fruits in the oven until cooked: they should be completely dry and not sticky to your hands.
To preserve candied fruits for the winter, put them in sterilized dry jars or other glass containers with a tight-fitting lid.
It is best to store candied fruits in glass containers.
Low-calorie honey treat
This recipe will appeal to lovers of sweets, watching their figure. Instead of sugar, which is harmful to a slim waist, we use honey and fructose.
You will need the following products:
- 400 g pumpkin;
- 2 glasses of water;
- 2 tablespoons of honey;
- 2 tablespoons of fructose;
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Candied fruits, in which sugar is replaced by honey, are low in calories
- Peel the pumpkin and cut the flesh into cubes. Boil them over low heat, adding cinnamon.
- Place the vegetable pieces on a paper towel and let dry.
- Pour 2 cups of water into a saucepan, add fructose and honey. Wait for the ingredients to boil and dissolve. Fold the pumpkin slices into the syrup. Cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, then remove the pan from the stove. Future candied fruits should stand in syrup for a day.
- Throw the pumpkin pieces in a colander or sieve, let the syrup drain completely. After that, spread the candied fruits on a baking sheet and send to the oven. Keep them until cooked at 40 degrees.
Due to the complete absence of sugar, such candied fruits are low in calories. But in taste and aroma, they are in no way inferior to a sugar dainty!
Video recipe for making pumpkin sweets
Not a single pumpkin
The taste of classic candied pumpkin fruits can be varied with oranges, lemons and spices. So you can delight your family with a variety of sweets, each time preparing something new.
"Quick" candied fruits with lemon
You will need:
- 1 kg pumpkin;
- 200 ml of water;
- 400 g sugar;
- 1 large lemon;
- ground cinnamon;
powdered sugar for sprinkling.
Lemon will give the candied pumpkin fruit a delicate flavor
- Peel the pumpkin and cut the flesh into pieces.
- Dip pumpkin slices and sliced lemon into boiling sugar and water syrup. Boil in 2 passes for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Remove the boiled pumpkin cubes from the syrup (no lemon needed) and spread out on parchment paper. Dry in the oven at 130 degrees for about 60 minutes.
- Put ready-made candied fruits in a plate, sprinkle with a mixture of powdered sugar and cinnamon.
- If you want your candied fruits to be a little jelly and transparent, it will take a little more time. After boiling the pumpkin, leave it to cool completely in the syrup, then boil it again for 5 minutes. Cool and repeat 3 more times. Such candied fruits can not only be dried, but also rolled into jars along with the syrup.
This recipe is perfect if you can't find a very sweet "porridge" pumpkin. More sugar than usual saves the situation (you will get some syrup, which will be very saturated). Naturally, this will also affect the calorie content of candied fruits: such sweetness can affect the figure!
You will need:
- 2 kg of pumpkin pulp;
- 700 grams of sugar;
- 1 glass of water;
- 2 oranges;
starch and powdered sugar for dusting.
Add oranges to keep your pumpkin seeds juicy and flavorful
- Cut the pumpkin pulp into slices, cubes or strips. Divide the oranges into wedges, peeling and removing the seeds.
- Make a syrup from water and sugar, bring it to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Dip orange and pumpkin slices in syrup, simmer for about 7 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan with the mixture from the stove, leave to cool completely. This will take several hours. Repeat the brewing process twice at the same interval.
- Drain the syrup from the future candied fruits, take out the orange slices. The pumpkin pieces will be soft, completely transparent.
- Place the pumpkin slices on a baking sheet lined with paper and place in the oven at 40 degrees for 5 hours.
- For decoration, prepare a sprinkle: mix the icing sugar, a little starch and vanillin. Add some ground cinnamon if desired. Dip dried candied fruits in the mixture.
Spicy candied fruits
In the East, rich, spicy taste and aroma are highly valued in sweets. To achieve this effect, you need to add appropriate seasonings to candied fruits. So, you will need:
- 1 kg of pumpkin pulp:
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 700 ml of water;
- 1 cinnamon stick;
- 2 carnation buds;
- 1 vanilla pod (natural)
If you're not afraid to experiment, you can add anise, star anise, fennel and other spices. But do not forget that a large number of them can spoil the taste of the dish.
Spices will give the candied fruit a rich, rich taste and aroma
- Peel the pumpkin, wash and cut into pieces of any shape.
- Prepare the syrup, bring it to a boil, add the pumpkin pieces and all the spices. Cook the mixture for 5 minutes, then refrigerate. The procedure must be repeated at least 5 times, until the pumpkin slices are transparent and caramelized.
- Remove the candied fruit, let the syrup drain completely. Arrange on a baking sheet and dry in the oven, then sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
Hostess reviews and advice
Now you know how to make an original and tasty treat from an ordinary pumpkin. By the way, candied pumpkin fruits can not only be used as a separate dessert - they can be used to decorate cakes, stuff pies and dumplings, and use syrup for compotes and jelly. Share with us in the comments the secrets of making candied fruits. Bon Appetit!
Popular by topic
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials
Detailed description of the construction of a wooden porch. Materials used, work procedure step by step
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a simple children's sandbox. Different sandbox models
Description of the mixboard, styles, location. a step-by-step description of creating a flower garden. selection of plants for mixboard