Table of contents:
- Types, characteristics and purpose of locks for an interior door
- Types of locks for interior doors
- Installation procedure
- Repair and replacement of locks on an interior door
- Features of operation
Types, characteristics and purpose of locks for an interior door
Locks for interior doors on the modern market are presented in a wide range. Different models differ in purpose, appearance, shape and principle of operation. Before you start buying such a device, you need to decide on the requirements for it. After that, you need to study the existing proposals and purchase the lock that fits perfectly into the interior of the room, will reliably and for a long time perform its function.
1 Types of locks for interior doors
- 1.1 Latches
- 1.2 Locks with key locking
- 1.3 Latch-type mortise locks
- 1.4 Magnetic locks
- 1.5 Espagnolettes
- 1.6 Locks for sliding doors
- 1.7 Video: options for locks installed on interior doors
2 Installation procedure
2.1 Video: self-installation of a mortise lock in an interior door
3 Repair and replacement of locks on the interior door
3.1 Video: latch repair
4 Features of operation
4.1 Video: how to open the door without a key
- 5 Reviews
Types of locks for interior doors
Several types of locks can be installed on interior doors, they differ among themselves by the type of construction, material of manufacture, as well as shape and size.
In order to choose a castle, you need to know what the requirements are for it. The door lock has two main parts:
A locking mechanism is located in the body, and the cylinder determines the degree of secrecy of the lock.
The following types of locking devices can be used on doors located inside the premises:
- with a latch;
- without a latch;
- with separate handle;
- with a rotary handle.
The variety of models significantly complicates the choice, and in order to make it right, you need to familiarize yourself with the options presented on the market, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each of them
Interior locks are divided into the following groups:
- with a key;
- with an additional lock;
Modern locks have 4 security classes, but class 1 devices are usually installed on interior doors
In most cases, it is the latches that are installed on the interior doors. They are distinguished by their simplicity of design, since they consist only of a body and a tongue, as well as an affordable cost. In this regard, such locks have limited capabilities and are intended only to prevent spontaneous opening of the door leaf.
Latch lock that does not communicate with the handle
Latches can be of two types:
- The latch communicates with the handle. This is the most common option. To remove the tongue from the hole located in the door frame, you must press the handle.
- The latch does not communicate with the handle. To remove the lock tongue from the hole in the striker, you just need to pull or push the doors. Here the tongue can be made of metal or plastic. The latter option is used when it is necessary to ensure the maximum noiselessness during the operation of the lock.
Latches can be of several types:
- fallopian, their tongue is beveled on one or both sides;
roller - the tongue is made in the form of a rotating roller;
The latch looks like a rotating roller
- magnetic, holding the door is ensured by attracting the magnetic tongue installed on the door to the striker, which is fixed on the box;
- sliding. In this case, the latch also serves as a bolt. To open or close it, you need to pull the lever or turn the turntable.
Latch locks have both advantages and disadvantages. Among their main advantages, it is worth noting:
- simplicity of design;
- long service life;
- ease of repair;
- affordable cost.
If we talk about the shortcomings, then they will be as follows:
- during the operation of the mechanism, a characteristic noise appears, but the use of a plastic tongue minimizes this drawback;
- over time, grooves appear on the end plate and on the tongue, which slightly spoils the appearance of the fittings.
This type of mechanism, in terms of its functionality and externally, is similar to the option installed on the entrance doors. The design of such locking devices can be different:
- with a core that extends to both sides of the door;
- with revolving handle and latch.
On the doors located inside the premises, locks with key fixing are rarely installed. They are usually used when it is necessary to restrict access to a specific room. Most often, they are mounted on the door to an office, to a room where expensive things or equipment are located, and also in cases when it is necessary to restrict children from entering the room. Typically, such a solution is implemented in offices to limit the entry of strangers into the offices.
Key-operated locks restrict unauthorized access to the room
The main advantage of a lock with key locking is that it allows you to restrict the entry of unauthorized people into the room. Among the shortcomings, a more complex design should be noted, therefore, the likelihood of breakage of locks with key fixation is higher.
Latch-type mortise locks
This type of mechanism is a more complex version of a conventional latch. In addition to the tongue, such locks also have a retainer, which allows the mechanism to be fixed in the closed position. A lock with a latch is installed where there is a need to close the room from the inside, for example, in the bathroom, toilet, bedroom, etc.
The peculiarity of such a mechanism, but in the fact that the latch is located only on one side of the lock, so you cannot open it from the outside. Special attention must be paid to its reliability. Before buying such a lock, you need to check how easy and soft it works.
A lock with a latch can be designed with a lever or a rotary handle. In the first case, a separate lever lock is used. In the second version - a push-button latch, which is located inside the rotary knob.
A lock with a latch is installed in those rooms where there is a need to close from the inside
The advantage of such a mechanism is that it is possible to fix the doors in the closed position from the inside and then a stranger cannot enter the room. In some cases, this function is also a disadvantage, since a child or an elderly person can close in the room, and if the mechanism is jammed, it is impossible to open it from the outside and it is necessary to call the master.
This is a relatively new type of latches. The tongue is made of a powerful magnet, which is attracted to the striker and securely fixes the doors in the closed position.
In the composition of such a lock there are no rubbing parts, so it has high reliability, and also works almost silently. In addition, the tongue does not constantly protrude from the door leaf, which improves the aesthetic appearance of the door, and also increases the comfort of its use. Manufacturers calculate the strength of the magnetic latch in such a way that it can reliably fix the doors in the closed position, but when opening it, a person does not have to make great efforts.
In more sophisticated models, there is a swing handle, which moves the magnetic latch and the doors open. There is no spring mechanism, so these locks are more compact.
The main advantages of magnetic locks:
- simplicity of design;
- low noise level during operation;
- long service life.
Their main disadvantage is that the cost will be slightly higher than that of other locks installed on interior doors.
This is the simplest locking mechanism that has been used for many years. Despite the not very attractive appearance of such a mechanism, it is still quite often used, for example, in a bathroom or toilet.
To fix a door equipped with a latch, simply pull the handle. Now they produce original design models, therefore, despite their simplicity, they fit perfectly into modern interiors and are still very popular.
Espagnolette - a simple and affordable locking mechanism
The main advantage of latches is their simplicity and affordable cost. Their disadvantage is that if a child or an elderly person closed the door from the inside and cannot open it efficiently, then to open the canvas from the outside, it will have to be damaged.
Locks for sliding doors
Due to the difference in the principle of operation of swing and sliding doors, locks of a conventional design cannot be used here. To close the sliding doors, special locking mechanisms must be installed. Their main difference is that the tongue looks like a hook or a harpoon. When the lock is closed, the latch goes into the hole on the box and secures the door leaf. The rest of the design will be identical to the mechanisms installed on swing doors.
Sliding interior door lock with hook tongue
Video: options for locks installed on interior doors
On the doors located inside the premises, patch locks are installed very rarely. They do this in the case when it is not possible to mount the cut-in model. Usually, mortise locking devices are mounted on the interior linens.
To carry out installation work, you will need the following tools:
- electric drill;
- set of drills;
- chisel and hammer or electric router;
To install a lock in an interior door, you will need simple and affordable tools.
It is recommended to install an interior door lock at a height of 90–100 cm from the floor. If there is already a handle on the canvas, then it determines the location of the lock. In any case, it is necessary to install the lock taking into account the location of the bar on the door leaf.
Markup. To do this, use a tape measure, square and marker.
Mark on the canvas the location of the castle
- Creation of a footprint for the lock body. Do it with a hammer and chisel. At the end of the door, using the selected tools, create a hole corresponding to the dimensions of the lock.
Creates a hole for the handle. If a conventional latch without a handle is installed, then this stage of work is skipped.
Create space for the lock body and hole for mounting the handle
Installation of the lock. A lock is inserted into the hole created in the door leaf and its operation is checked. The mechanism should run smoothly and easily.
Insert the lock case into the prepared hole
Door frame markings. The location of the lock tongue is marked on the box. Using a chisel and a hammer, a hole is made for the lock tongue to enter, after which a striker is installed.
The strike plate is mounted on the jamb opposite the lock tongue
- Fixation of the case and striker. This is done with self-tapping screws, which provide a secure fixation.
Installation of handles. The handles are installed in the prepared hole and fixed, and then decorative overlays are installed.
Fixes handles and decorative covers
Video: self-installation of a mortise lock in an interior door
Repair and replacement of locks on an interior door
In the course of long-term operation of the lock, situations may arise when the mechanism begins to work incorrectly or even fails. In most cases, you can do the repair of such devices yourself.
Reasons that may cause the need to disassemble the interior door lock:
- jamming of the mechanism. This is usually due to insufficient lubrication of the lock;
- breaking. Over time, some parts may fail and need to be replaced;
- replacement of the lock. During the repair, it may be necessary to replace the lock with a newer and more modern model;
- reinstallation of the door leaf. If the door is being replaced, and there was a normal lock on the old canvas, then it can be reinstalled;
- loss of a key. If the only key has been lost, then the secret or the entire lock will need to be replaced.
If you have problems with the lock, you first need to make sure that the problem is really with the lock. Often disturbances in the operation of the mechanism are associated with a skew or swelling of the door leaf or box, subsidence of the hinges.
Breaking a secret. If the lock has a cylinder, and it stops opening with a key, then this part must be replaced. It is enough to unscrew the cylinder fastening screw, which is located on the end plate, then pull out the cylinder and replace it with another one.
The failed secret is removed and a new cylinder is installed
- Clogged mechanism or breakage of the return spring. If a malfunction occurs in the lock case, then it must be removed from the door frame. To do this, unscrew the fasteners and take out the case. After that, the lock is disassembled, debris and dust that have got there are removed from it. If the spring is out of order, then it is changed. Check the functionality of the lock. Assembly is performed in reverse order.
Jammed latch. Often the malfunction can be eliminated without disassembling the mechanism. If the latch sticks or moves slowly, then it is enough to simply grease it with oil and work the mechanism several times.
The mechanism is being cleaned and defective parts are replaced
Replacing the lock on the interior door with your own hands is easy:
Unscrew the old lock.
The old lock is unscrewed and removed from the door
- The mechanism and the door leaf are removed.
- A new lock is installed. If it is larger, then the seat is expanded.
Fixing a new lock. After that, check its performance.
After replacing the lock, check its performance
Video: latch repair
Features of operation
To ensure the trouble-free operation of the lock on the interior door for a long period, it, like any other mechanism, must be properly operated. To do this, it is enough to adhere to simple rules:
- when the first signs of malfunctions appear, you must immediately determine their cause. You can do it yourself or call a master for this, the main thing is to do this on time;
periodically it is recommended to lubricate the mechanism and the lock tongue;
Lubricate the lock mechanism
- it is necessary to ensure that the tongue fits freely into the striker. If this is not the case, then it is adjusted;
- if you lost the key, then a duplicate should be made only from high-quality material. If it is made of low-quality material, the key will quickly grind off, and the resulting dust will clog the secret of the lock;
- if there are small children in the house, they must be taught how to use latches with latches correctly. If this is not done, then the child can close in the room and when he cannot open the lock on his own, he will have to break the doors.
Following the described rules and carrying out periodic preventive inspections of the castle, you will ensure its long and reliable operation.
Video: how to open the door without a key
Having an idea of what kind of lock for an interior door is needed, as well as having the necessary knowledge, it will not be difficult to acquire a quality product. When choosing, it is better to focus on the recommendations of specialists and take into account your own opinion. You should not trust the sellers' persuasion too much, since there is a high probability of buying not a high-quality lock, but one that has been in the warehouse for a long time and is not popular. Having studied the existing offer, and responsibly regarding the choice of the lock, it will be possible to buy a really high-quality device, and you can install it simply and quickly with your own hands.