Table of contents:
- Effective ways to remove urine stains and odor from your couch
- How can you remove stains of fresh urine from a child
- How to remove stubborn stains and baby urine odor
- Ways to eliminate odor and old urine stains from an adult
- How to quickly wash a leather sofa from urine
- How to clean cat tags from upholstered furniture
- Sofa handling precautions
- Store products that remove old stains and odors
- How to treat the surface of a sofa and neutralize odor and urine stains - video
Video: How To Get Rid Of Urine Stains And Odors On The Couch: Effective Cleaning Methods + Photos And Videos
Effective ways to remove urine stains and odor from your couch
High demands are made on the cleanliness of upholstered furniture in the house, because pollution is a source of reproduction of microbes and bacteria. Human or pet urine eats into the upholstery, spoiling the appearance of furniture. How to clean the sofa, remove stains and get rid of urine odor?
- 1 How can you remove stains of fresh urine from a child
- 2 How to remove stubborn stains and odor of baby urine
- 3 Ways to eliminate odor and chronic adult urine stains
- 4 How to quickly wash a leather sofa from urine
5 How to clean upholstered furniture from cat marks
5.1 Eliminate traces on furniture marked by a cat or dog - video
- 6 Precautions for handling sofa
- 7 Store products that remove old stains and odors
- 8 How to treat the surface of a sofa and neutralize odor and urine stains - video
How can you remove stains of fresh urine from a child
The most common reason for a sofa to get wet in a family with small children is the inability to control the urination process due to young age or some other physiological reason. Despite the absence of a strong odor, baby urine should be removed from the upholstery immediately before the liquid has eaten.
Assistants in removing stains from the sofa:
- Paper towels, toilet paper, napkins. Blot the stain with them until the tissues or towels are dry.
- Soap solution. Treat a fresh stain with a napkin dipped in a solution (1 tbsp. L. 72% laundry soap per 1 liter of water). Once thoroughly cleaned, wipe the surface of the sofa with water to remove any soap residues.
- Hair dryer. Remove the stain with water, then dry for 5-7 minutes.
Some housewives use an iron to speed up the cleaning process by ironing the dirt through a dry cotton cloth. It is necessary to use this advice very carefully, it is not known how the upholstery will behave after contact with the hot sole of the iron.
How to remove stubborn stains and baby urine odor
When the sofa gets wet every day, unpleasant odors accumulate. The stains from the penetrating liquid pass into the category of old ones, it is almost impossible to wash them off.
You can remove stains and the smell of urine with the help of improvised means
Handy tools help to wash off old stains and remove stubborn odors:
- Laundry soap 72%. This is a simple but very effective method for dealing with stubborn, foul-smelling dirt. Take a foam sponge, lather it with laundry soap and wipe the stain. If the urine has already eaten into the textile upholstery of the sofa, you can soap it immediately (without using a sponge). After 7-10 minutes, wash off the soap with lukewarm water, then pat dry with paper towels, hairdryer or iron.
- Potassium permanganate solution. Dissolve a few crystals of potassium permanganate in 1 liter of warm water. The color of the finished solution should be pale pink. Saturate a clean cloth (rag, diaper or towel) with the prepared liquid. Spread over a dirty surface, leave for half an hour. Finally, dry the sofa naturally or artificially (eg with a hairdryer).
- Lemon juice. Apply it to the stain with a tissue or spray bottle, leave for 20 minutes. Then wash off the juice with a damp cloth and dry the sofa. Repeat the procedure several times if necessary. Lemon not only eliminates the unpleasant smell of baby urine, but also refreshes the space of the room, filling it with citrus aroma.
Ways to eliminate odor and old urine stains from an adult
Urine from adults, especially the elderly, smells unpleasant and stains furniture. Getting rid of such contamination is not easy, but possible.
Chlorine and ammonia help remove stubborn urine stains from an adult
There are two main ways to deal with stubborn stains and urine odor:
- use of a chlorine solution. With its specific smell, it displaces other "aromas" from the surface. Bleach kills bacteria that are often the source of the stench. Disinfection and treatment of sofa upholstery is performed with a 0.5% solution of bleach, which is applied to the stain with a brush or foam sponge for 30 minutes. After that, wipe it with water until traces of chlorine are completely washed out and dry the sofa. Chlorine lime can be replaced with more modern household chemicals: Whiteness gel, bleaches with chlorine;
- the use of an aqueous solution of ammonia (10-15 drops per 1 glass of water). The stain is rubbed with a solution and left moistened for 1–1.5 hours, after which the ammonia is removed with water and left to dry.
How to quickly wash a leather sofa from urine
Leather surfaces must be handled very delicately: as soon as a stain appears, urine must be collected with a damp cloth; it must not be rubbed into the leather, regardless of whether it is natural or artificial. If you rub the stain, it will grow in size.
You can eliminate the unpleasant odor with the help of Nature's Miracle, which is sold in pet stores. The composition is applied directly to the stain. When the product is absorbed into the skin, you need to wait until the sofa is completely dry. After that, the treated area is wiped with a conditioner for the care of leather furniture, it helps to extend the life of the sofa.
Nature's Miracle is a special product that removes almost any dirt from leather furniture
A composition that you can prepare yourself also helps to neutralize the smell of urine from a leather sofa. You will need:
- hydrogen peroxide - 100 ml;
- baking soda - 100 gr;
- dishwashing liquid - 1 tbsp. l.
Mix the ingredients until a smooth paste is obtained and apply to the stain. Wait 15 minutes, rinse with warm water. The treatment can be repeated only after the surface is completely dry.
How to clean cat tags from upholstered furniture
If your cat or dog has deliberately or accidentally marked the sofa, a persistent, unpleasant odor and whitish stains remain. You can get rid of the consequences by following the instructions:
- Wear rubber gloves before handling.
- Rub the stain with a sponge dipped in vinegar solution (100 ml of 9% vinegar in 500 ml of water).
- Spread a thick layer of baking soda over the dry skin to remove any uric acid residue.
- Pour a solution of water and hydrogen peroxide in a ratio of 1 to 1 into a spray bottle. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid soap or any dishwashing detergent there.
- Spray the solution over the soda stain.
- Wait 1 hour.
- When the time is up, scrub the stain with a brush or hard sponge. If the baking soda particles cannot be removed, use a damp cloth or vacuum cleaner.
Eliminate traces on furniture marked by a cat or dog - video
Sofa handling precautions
All manipulations to eliminate stains and the smell of urine in the room must be performed observing safety precautions:
- free the room from animals and children;
- be sure to use personal protective equipment (rubber gloves, respirator or gauze bandage on the face);
- ventilate the room while processing the sofa so that harmful volatile compounds do not accumulate inside the room;
- It is strictly forbidden to use perfume or cologne to get rid of the smell of urine, they will make the stench even worse.
It is best to clean the sofa of unpleasant odors and stains outdoors. The advantage of taking furniture outside is exposure to sunlight, which literally "scorches" offensive odors from the upholstery material. Frosty air has the same effect.
Store products that remove old stains and odors
The chemical industry offers a wide range of remedies to combat stubborn urine stains and odors. For example, DuftaFresh. The cleaner is suitable for all surfaces, does not have a persistent smell of chemicals and is safe for children's rooms.
DUFTAFRESH spray is easy to use, quickly removes unpleasant odors and stains
After spraying the purchased product, the stain is covered with oilcloth and left for 2 hours. When the waiting time has expired, the area to be cleaned is opened and dried.
All products containing oxygen and designed for cleaning carpets and upholstered furniture (the most famous is Vanish) are well suited for cleaning the sofa from unpleasant odors and stains. Perfect for removing the smell of pet urine and special sprays containing enzymes for eliminating dog and cat marks, for example, OdorGone. It is sprayed onto a contaminated surface and left for 11-12 hours.
Odor Gone is good at removing unpleasant odors left after animal marks
It is important to use ready-made odor neutralizers in strict accordance with the instructions attached to them.
How to treat the surface of a sofa and neutralize odor and urine stains - video
Get rid of stains and the smell of urine on the couch as soon as they appear. Handy tools and special sprays sold in the store help in this. When using different recipes, be sure to pay attention to the material that the sofa is upholstered in and strictly follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Popular by topic
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials
Detailed description of the construction of a wooden porch. Materials used, work procedure step by step
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a simple children's sandbox. Different sandbox models
Description of the mixboard, styles, location. a step-by-step description of creating a flower garden. selection of plants for mixboard