Table of contents:
- How to choose and learn how to use a hair curler
- What is a curling iron, its purpose and difference from a styler
- The main varieties of plyeks
- What to look for when choosing a curling iron
- How to use a curling iron correctly
- Rules for storing and caring for a curling iron
- Typical malfunctions of the pads and how to fix them
Video: How To Use A Hair Curler: Cone, Corrugation, Slingshot, DIY Repair + Video
How to choose and learn how to use a hair curler
At all times, hair has been and remains the main measure of female beauty. Lush, curly curls can transform a woman, make her bright and irresistible. That is why all the fair sex pay great attention to their hairstyle, but you will not visit the stylist every day. This is tedious and financially costly. And here a simple hairdressing device comes to the rescue of the owners of lush hair. It is called a curling iron. Surely every woman has such a tool, striving to always look beautiful and well-groomed. And with the help of a curling iron, this is not difficult to achieve.
- 1 What is a curling iron, its purpose and difference from a styler
2 The main varieties of plyeks
2.1 Photo gallery: automatic curling irons with a rotating working element
3 What you need to look for when choosing a curling iron
3.1 Video: choosing a hair curler
4 How to use a curling iron correctly
4.1 Basic hair curling techniques
4.1.1 Video: horizontal hair curling
4.2 Creation of root volume
4.2.1 Video: how to increase hair volume at the roots with a corrugated curling iron
4.3 Hair straightening technology
4.3.1 Video: how to straighten hair with an iron
4.4 Eyelash curling technique
4.4.1 Video: curling eyelashes with a special curling iron
- 5 Rules for storing and caring for a curling iron
6 Typical malfunctions of the pads and how to fix them
- 6.1 Video: restoring the integrity of the curling iron power cord
- 6.2 Video: repairing a curling iron in the absence of heating
What is a curling iron, its purpose and difference from a styler
The curling iron is an electrical household appliance used to add volume to hair and structure it into curls of various shapes. The simplest and most familiar curling iron for most women consists of a cylindrical metal tube with a heating element inside and a clip that serves to secure the hair when winding it.
The curling iron with a cylindrical tube is the most common and well-known model of a hairdressing device.
Under the influence of temperature, the hair wrapped around the curling iron becomes wavy, forming lush curls. Creating curls from straight hair and giving them volume is the main purpose of this uncomplicated device. However, a curling iron can be useful not only for owners of straight hair, but also for women from birth endowed with curly hair, and who want to straighten it to create their own new, more strict image. To do this, you do not need to wind the hair on the rod of the tool, but you should simply pull the curl with your hands and draw it with a curling iron, smoothing out the waviness.
Often, the curling iron is also called a styler, although there are still differences between these two devices, the main of which are as follows:
- the curling iron has only one stationary working element, and the styler can have several types of replaceable attachments for different types of effects on the hair;
- the curling iron serves only to create curls, and the styler has much greater functionality, and, in addition to winding curls, it is adapted for straightening hair, styling it with a steam hairdryer and even for cold blowing;
- the styler kit includes not only attachments, but also hair clips, brushes and other accessories, which you will not find with a curling iron;
- the curling iron is a highly specialized tool, and the styler is a universal accessory.
And yet, the curling iron, as a tool that gives style to hair, can pretend to be called a styler, which itself is, in fact, a curling iron with removable nozzles.
The main varieties of plyeks
The range of devices available today for creating curls and giving hair volume is quite wide. You can choose a variety of their types, with the help of which you can wind yourself with small, medium or large curls, create volume at the ends of your hair or at the very roots, and also give your hair an original wavy relief. Curling irons can be classified according to several parameters. By the form of the work item, they are:
cylindrical, considered classics among this instrument, they wind up firm dense curls;
Curling irons with a cylindrical rod have a hair clip into which the ends of the strand are fixed before winding it
conical, which are with a straight cone, tapering from the handle or with the opposite, with such a tool you can curl to the very roots, getting spiral-shaped curls;
Tapered stylers do not have a clip, but provide a tight and stable curl
double or double-barreled, with two cylinders, such curling irons perform counter curls in the shape of an eight;
The double-barreled curling iron has two working cylinders, which allows you to wind curls in the form of an eight
cylindrical three-barreled, allow you to create a large sea wave on your hair;
Styler with three cylinders or three barrels, for curling hair like a large sea wave
spiral, very convenient for spiral curls of the same thickness;
Hairdressing device of a spiral type for curling curls and giving hair volume
with a triangular section, curling irons of this type allow you to create a broken curl with straight ends;
Curling irons with a triangular bar are also not equipped with a clip
A hair styler with a square shaft. With the help of such a tool, curls with a straight end are wound
curling irons of the corrugation type, creating a fine wavy surface on the hair.
Using a curling iron of the corrugated type, you can create a beautiful wavy hair surface with fine ripples
By design, there are curling irons in the form of tongs that have a clip for hair, or without a clip, such as, for example, cone-type devices. For the most part, they are hand tools, but there are also automatic devices where you do not need to wind a strand of hair manually, this work will be done by a special rotating mechanism.
Photo gallery: automatic curling irons with rotating working element
Curling iron with a cylindrical rotating working element. Clockwise or counterclockwise rotation can be specified
The rotating element in the head of the BaByliss automatic styler will wind the hair strand by itself and release it after a predetermined time.
An automatic curling iron of this model has a rotating rod with a ceramic coating.
Curling irons of the same type can differ from each other in size, namely in diameter, which can be from 9 to 50 mm. The smaller this size, the finer curls you can build with this styler.
Stylers with different cylinder diameters. To obtain more lush curls, a curling iron with a large diameter is used.
Most of the curling curlers produced earlier had a metal surface, which negatively affected the condition of the hair. They became brittle and cut. Today on sale you can find stylers with various protective coatings that minimize the destructive effect of high temperature on the hair structure. Modern hairdressing devices for adding volume to hair and designing curls are available with the following types of coatings:
- ceramic, providing an even distribution of heat, and its gentle effect on the hair;
- Teflon, which reduces the risk of overdrying the hair, and ensures their easy glide over the surface, as well as the formation of a beautiful stable curl;
- tourmaline, which is considered one of the best and safest curling irons, due to the property of tourmaline when heated to release ions, which relieves static stress and closes the hair scales, helping to retain moisture in them;
- titanium tourmaline, which additionally has an antiseptic effect on the hair;
- nanosilver, which has good antiseptic properties.
What to look for when choosing a curling iron
Even if you want to choose a styler for home use, it is best to focus on professional curling irons, which are significantly ahead of conventional household appliances in all respects. Of course, such a purchase will cost more, but it will also last much longer. The main criteria for choosing this hairdressing tool are:
- Power, which can range from 20 to 90 watts. The higher it is, the faster the device heats up to operating temperature, and for a longer time it can be in operation without a technological break. More powerful curling irons have a greater resource, they will last longer when used at home. Therefore, for the house you need to choose a styler with a power of 50 watts or more.
- Working temperature. In modern curling irons, it can be from 60 to 200 degrees. The higher the temperature, the clearer and more stable the curls are, but there is also a greater danger of overdrying the hair and even burning it. Therefore, you need to choose a curling iron depending on the type of hair. For colored, split ends and fine hair should not choose the unit higher than 100 on the C and holders of hard and uncolored hair can afford curling with temperatures up to 200 about C.
The presence of a temperature regulator. This will help to vary the heat effect, allowing you to achieve the best styling results. Some professional curling irons are equipped not only with a regulator, but also with a display with temperature indication, which greatly facilitates the use of this device.
Professional curling irons have, in addition to the temperature regulator, a display with digital temperature indication
The shape of the working element of the curling iron. This parameter directly affects the configuration of curls and hairstyle structure. For embossed curls with straight ends, you need to choose a triangular or square curling iron. Smooth waves can be obtained with cylindrical stylers, and with the help of conical ones, you can give the hair waviness from the very roots, and make curls elastic and resistant.
The conical shape of the styler allows you to increase hair volume from the very roots
Curling iron size. For long hair, choose a styler with a wider grip. The diameter of the rods affects the size of the curls. A thinner cylindrical curling iron can be used to wind small curls, and a thicker one - more lush and voluminous curls.
How the shape of the curls depends on the diameter of the curling iron. The thinner the curling iron, the finer curls it can form.
The presence of removable attachments is undoubtedly an advantage when choosing a curling iron if you like to experiment with your hairstyle, changing the shape, size and arrangement of curls.
Lovers of changing their hairstyle should pay attention to the curling iron with removable nozzles
When choosing a curling iron, you must definitely pay attention to its manufacturer. Today, products of such brands as BaByliss and Wahl, Philips and Remington, Bosch and Rowenta, Harizma and GA.MA are in popularity and demand. Beauty requires sacrifices, and in order to make yourself beautiful, you should not save, because a poor-quality curling iron can damage your hair very quickly.
Video: choosing a hair curler
How to use a curling iron correctly
There are absolutely no difficulties in using a curling iron, if you adhere to the basic rules of working with this hairdressing tool, and know how to wind curls with various types of curls. Of the main rules that must always be followed with any type of styler, the following should be noted:
- Only well-washed and thoroughly dried hair can be rolled with a curling iron; it is strictly forbidden to use a curling iron on wet hair when curling or straightening it.
- Before starting to work with a curling iron, the hair must be treated with a thermal protective spray, not only from the outside, but also from the inside, regardless of the type of coating on the working element of the device.
- The curled curls, so that they are strong and elastic, must be immediately secured with a hairpin, trying to hold them less with your hands, and give time to the hair to cool down and the curls to gain a foothold. Only after the hair has completely cooled down will it be possible to comb it with a brush or comb.
- Brush each section of hair before curling to give the curls a sharper shape.
- Contact of each strand of hair with a hot curling iron should not be more than 30 seconds.
- After winding the curls, you need to fix the hairstyle with varnish, spraying it from a distance of at least 25 cm.
Basic hair curling techniques
There are two types of hair curling, depending on the position of the styler, which he occupies when curling the strand - vertical and horizontal.
When using vertical technology, you must:
- Separate a strand no more than 5 cm wide, comb it, and pull it slightly to the side perpendicular to the head.
- Warm up your hair along the entire length by running a curling iron over it.
- Pinch the tip of the strand and, holding the device in an upright position, wind the hair up to the roots. In this case, if the clamp is on top and the rod is directed downward, the curling refers to the downward technique. Curling up is done in the same way, but with the rod and clamp reversed.
- Having fixed the hair wound on the curling iron, let the strands warm up for up to 10 seconds and pull the curling iron out of the hair.
Until the curl cools completely, do not touch it.
In the direction of the curling rod, vertical curling of hair can be done in two ways - down or up
When curling horizontally, the curling iron is positioned perpendicular to the direction of hair growth. To wind curls you need:
- Separate a section of hair and comb it with a regular comb.
- Secure your hair with a clip and pull it all the way to the ends.
- Gently, so as not to break the hair, wind the strand onto the curling iron rod and fix it for 10 - 20 seconds.
- Release the curl from the clip, but do not let go, but, holding it with your fingers, secure it with a hairpin.
- Only after the hair has cooled can the curl be released.
- While the curled curls are cooling, you can separate the next strand and repeat the curl in the same sequence.
- After cooling all the strands, you can remove the hairpins and comb your hair, securing the hairstyle with varnish.
Video: horizontal hair curling
Creation of root volume
You can add volume to not too lush hair from the very roots using a conical curling iron or corrugation tongs. You can do this with a cone-type styler using the same technology by which curls are curled with a cylindrical curling iron. In this case, you need to adhere to the rule so that the ends of the strand are wound around the thin part of the cone, and hair located as close to the roots as possible on the thickened part.
Using the corrugation, you can increase the root volume of the hair. However, they do not curl along the entire length, and remain straight. This requires:
- Separate the top strands of hair, and secure them on the head with a hairpin.
- The lower strands must be grasped at least 5 cm wide and, pulling them to the side, clamped with a curling iron at the very roots.
- After fixing the device for 5 to 10 seconds, depending on the type of hair, repeat the operation for adjacent strands.
- After going through this method of curling through the unpunched hair, release the upper bundle of hair and repeat the whole procedure for them.
- After the hair has cooled, brush it at the very roots.
If you want to increase root volume, you should not curl your hair with corrugation along its entire length, but only at the very root
Video: how to increase hair volume at the roots using a corrugated curling iron
Hair straightening technology
Not all women want curly curls, especially since straight hair is also in fashion today. The owners of curly hair, the question arises, how to straighten these naughty curls? To straighten your hair, it is best to use a special curling iron. It is a kind of corrugated pliers with a flat, smooth surface. To straighten hair, heat in a layer of hair called the cortex must destroy the hydrogen bonds that allow curls to curl. This requires:
- After washing your hair and applying a thermal protective agent on it, dry it thoroughly with a hairdryer.
- Divide the hair into the upper and lower parts. Fasten the top bundle at the crown.
- Grabbing strands of hair with a styler, carry them through them, without stopping, in one motion, while holding the bundle of hair perpendicular to the head so that the hairstyle does not lose volume.
- Repeat the procedure for the upper bun of hair, comb it and fix with varnish or wax.
Video: how to straighten hair with an iron
Eyelash curling technique
Today, there are also special eyelash curlers on sale, with which you can give them a beautiful curved shape, making your eyes more expressive. Outwardly, they differ from hair curlers in their size, as well as a special design that protects the eyes from burns. For this, there is a kind of comb on the working surface of the device. Typically, these devices are battery operated.
The eyelash curler has a smaller size and protectors on the working surface in the form of a comb
Owners of long eyelashes can, before applying mascara to them, give the hairs an arched relief, gently running the curling iron from the base to the tips of the eyelashes, and slightly pressing them with a comb to the eyelid.
Video: curling eyelashes with a special curling iron
Rules for storing and caring for a curling iron
In order for the curling iron to serve you for a long time, you need to adhere to some rules of care and storage for this tool:
- every time after use, the working surface of the styler must be cleaned of particles of protective compounds used for curling, for which wipe it with alcohol while the curling iron is still warm;
- with a long break in use, you need to process the curling iron with alcohol-containing compounds once a month and wipe it with a dry cloth;
- in no case should you rinse or cool the curling iron under running water;
- at the end of the curling, you need to let the styler cool down, and only then put it in your purse or other container;
- to store the curling iron, you can buy a special thermal bag that can withstand temperatures up to 200 degrees, but when you put a hot tool in it, the power cord must remain outside the bag;
- Under no circumstances should the power cord be wrapped around the curling iron, this can lead to its fractures and short circuits; for proper storage, the cable must be carefully folded and fastened with an elastic band.
Typical malfunctions of the pads and how to fix them
By design, the curling iron is a simple device consisting of a handle, working elements and heating elements inside them. The only complication in the structure of this hairdressing device is the control board. After all, most modern stylers are equipped with temperature regulators and heating indicators. The most common malfunctions of the pads are:
- fracture of one of the cores of the power cable, which is the result of careless handling of the instrument;
- fracture or deformation of the spring of the clamping mechanism, as a result of which it is impossible to ensure sufficient clamping of the hair bundle to the curling iron rod;
- lack of heating of the working element.
If, when the curling iron is plugged into the socket, the heating indicator light turns on, then goes out, and the device cannot reach the desired temperature, you should pay attention to its power cable. You can check its performance using a conventional multimeter. This requires:
- Disconnect the power cord. If it is non-removable, the handle should be disassembled to provide access to the incoming wiring.
- Having set the resistance dialing mode on the multimeter, we close the instrument probes to one of the plug rods and, in turn, to the incoming wiring.
- If, bending the power cord, you find the disappearance of the sound signal, it means that the corresponding core is torn or completely broken.
- Having carefully cut the insulation, you need to solder the broken circuit, and insulate the core itself and the entire cable.
Video: restoring the integrity of the curling iron power cord
The easiest way to eliminate the defect of the clamping mechanism from typical malfunctions. Here you do not need to delve into the curling iron device, and even more so into its electronic part. For repair it is necessary:
- Remove the tool holder by bending the bracket and pulling one end out of the groove.
- Unscrew the clamp fastening bolts, and, bending it, examine the spring.
- If the spring is intact, but slightly deformed, it is necessary to unbend the bracket with a screwdriver and install it in place. In this case, you must act carefully so as not to stretch the spring in the other direction too much.
- In case of breakage, replace the spring clip with a new one.
After installing the spring, assemble the curling iron.
To restore the clamping ability of the curling iron, you need to dismantle the stand, unscrew the clamp fastening bolts, and after opening it, unbend the spring clip
If the working element does not heat up when the curling iron is connected to the network, you should adhere to the following algorithm of actions:
- Disassemble the curling iron and ring the chain from the power cord to the heating element.
- If no open circuit is detected, before and after the control board, you need to make sure that the taps from the metal plates of the heating element are securely soldered to them.
- If the wiring from the heating element is broken, the heating element must be disassembled and the wire must be soldered to it.
- Assemble the curling iron in reverse order.
Video: repairing a curling iron in the absence of heating
In the event of a malfunction in the electronic part of the styler, it is better to contact a service workshop.
Today, the availability for most women of a hairdressing device, called a curling iron, makes it possible not to seek help from a beauty salon for curling curls. It is enough to have a styler of the desired shape and size at home in order to constantly maintain the desired contours of your hairstyle, and always remain beautiful and effective. Let our recommendations help you choose the right curling iron and learn how to use it.
Popular by topic
Installing a warm electric floor with your own hands. Practical advice on choosing the type of underfloor heating, recommendations for the installation of cable and film floors
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
A description of the symptoms and causative agents of cabbage diseases. methods of control and prevention
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices