Table of contents:
- How to get rid of and prevent rats from entering your home, basement, shed, chicken coop or garage
- Why rats get turned on and is it dangerous for humans
- Control methods: mechanical, chemical and others
- Features of getting rid of rats in various rooms
- How to get rid of the smell of a dead rat
- What to do to keep rats from getting started
Video: How To Get Rid Of Rats In A Private House, Chicken Coop, Apartment And Other Premises - Using Various Methods To Get Rid Of Rodents
How to get rid of and prevent rats from entering your home, basement, shed, chicken coop or garage
Rats give pleasure to home owners only when they are decorative. However, it often happens that wild rodents become uninvited guests in the house. And if this happened, you will have to make a lot of efforts to drive these insolent rodents out of residential and utility premises. Fortunately, there are many ways to deal with rats.
- 1 Why rats get turned on and is it dangerous for humans
2 Ways of struggle: mechanical, chemical and other
2.1 How to deal with traps and rat traps
- 2.1.1 Video: how to use a mechanical rat trap
- 2.1.2 Video: homemade live trap
2.2 How to scare away rats
2.2.1 Video: Ultrasonic Repeller "Electronic Cat"
2.3 How and what to poison rats
1 Video: poison or ultrasound
2.4 Other methods
- 2.4.1 Using current
- 2.4.2 Biological method
- 2.4.3 Folk remedies
- 2.4.4 Video: getting rid of rats forever with improvised means
- 2.4.5 External assistance
3 Features of getting rid of rats in various rooms
3.1 Living quarters
3.1.1 Video: DIY rat trap
- 3.2 Animal sheds
3.3 Outbuildings and garages
3.3.1 Video: how to deal with rats in a car
3.4 Garden plots
3.4.1 Photo gallery: "grass repellents"
- 4 How to get rid of the smell of a dead rat
- 5 What to do to keep rats from getting started
Why rats get turned on and is it dangerous for humans
The basic life instincts of rats are food and procreation. That is why they settle in the immediate vicinity of a person. But then the question arises, why do they appear in some dwellings, while others bypass?
The main reason for the appearance of rats is the presence of garbage cans, garbage cans, compost pits, and available feed. Even fruits or berries on the ground in the garden that are not harvested in time are great bait. After finding food outside, the rodents will go inside the house to find a source of heat and a new portion of food. And if the rats find available supplies of grains, vegetables or waste, they will settle for a long time.
It was always believed that the favorite place of residence of rats is private households and sheds with pets, since it is always warm there, there is a lot of food and no one bothers. But recently, these uninvited guests have increasingly begun to appear in cities and penetrate high-rise buildings. Initially settling in the basement, the rats enter the dwelling through ventilation shafts or sewer pipes. Having sharp long teeth and the constant need to grind them down, they can destroy any obstacle in their path, with the exception of metal and glass. Therefore, the smallest hole instantly turns into a full-fledged passage.
Rats are carriers of infectious diseases. Their appearance is fraught not only with damage to property, but also with the danger of contracting the plague, typhus, tularemia and salmonellosis.
Signs of the appearance of rats:
- the presence of intense, uncharacteristic sounds: squeak, rattle, stomp (mice emit much less noise);
- unpleasant odor throughout the room;
- the presence of animal excrement (look like black, shiny balls);
- holes in the walls of the pantry, bathroom, kitchen;
- lumps of pieces of paper, newspapers and threads scattered around the apartment;
- gnawed bags of cereals.
If rats are found, it is worth immediately taking measures to eliminate or expel, otherwise you will have to fight the constantly increasing population.
Control methods: mechanical, chemical and others
When starting rodent control, you need to carefully study all methods and determine whether they are suitable in this case. An incorrectly chosen method leads to unpleasant consequences, such as a cadaverous smell for many months, with the inability to remove its cause.
How to deal with traps and rat traps
Now on the market there are many modifications of various traps and rat traps. The simplest and most understandable option is a mechanical rat trap, which is triggered by a spring. To do this, you need to fix the delicacy in a certain place on the mechanism and put the rats in the path. As soon as the individual tries the bait, the spring will work, and the animal will be deadly clamped. The disadvantage of this method is the need for constant reloading of the rat trap and cleaning the mechanism from the dead animal. Before the next use, the rat trap must be thoroughly washed to get rid of the cadaverous odor.
Video: how to use a mechanical rat trap
A more humane way is to use live traps. They come in various designs, both industrial and homemade. The principle of operation is similar to the rat trap, the difference is that the rat remains alive in a confined space. This method is also not very pleasant, since then you have to deal with a live rat.
Video: homemade live trap
Advanced rat trap with built-in bait. The advantage of this device is that it is completely made of plastic and can be used in homes with small children and animals. The principle of operation is the same as that of a conventional rat trap. Only the animal is well gripped and not crushed, which simplifies the cleaning process. Can be used multiple times.
Rat trap with built-in bait
The glue trap is by no means a humane invention and is not 100% effective. It is a container with low sides, filled with glue. Manufacturers declare that the composition is non-toxic, so the trap can be used in residential premises. The disadvantage of this method is that the animal dies long and painfully, making shrill sounds.
These traps are easy to use.
How to scare away rats
The most humane methods of scaring are considered. Rats are afraid of strong smells and sounds.
You can drive away rats with the following substances: vinegar, kerosene, gasoline, naphthalene, Vishnevsky's ointment. To do this, you need to moisten cotton balls or pieces of rags in some fragrant liquid and spread them indoors. The smell spreads throughout the building, so this method is not suitable for residential buildings, as people will also have to inhale harmful vapors.
You can also use strong-smelling herbs: black root, wormwood, tansy, mint, chamomile. It is necessary to hang bunches of fresh or dried grass all over the house and especially near food supplies, the rats will not dare to approach.
But dried herbs eventually lose their aromatic properties and not everyone is ready to decorate their home with armfuls of hay. Therefore, many are inclined to scare away rodents with industrial devices.
Varieties of scarers:
The action of the ultrasonic device is based on the emission of sound waves, which are not perceptible to humans, but which act on rodents. Sound vibrations affect the nervous system and hearing of rats, causing fright and panic. This leads to a desire to avoid unpleasant sensations and quickly leave the territory. It is necessary to take into account the area of the room and the presence of furniture. Since any obstacle in the path of ultrasound reduces or completely stops the force of the waves.
The ultrasonic rat repeller can be powered by mains or batteries and can be used in the presence of people and animals
Electromagnetic devices generate pulses that propagate through the electrical wiring of the room. They cause anxiety in rats and are completely harmless to humans. Therefore, at the first time of using the device, there is an increase in the number of individuals that leave burrows in search of a way out. Electrical wiring is required to use this instrument. Therefore, it cannot be used in rooms without electricity.
Combination devices combine both of the above methods. Such devices are universal and make it possible to get rid of rats for a long time.
Video: "Electronic Cat" ultrasonic repeller
How and what to poison rats
Ready-made rat poison, which can be purchased at the store, is divided into three types:
Inorganic poisons have a rough effect on the animal due to their high toxicity. The lead salts contained in the poison are environmentally hazardous. Therefore, such poisons are used in everyday life in extreme cases, when all other methods have been tried.
Organic poisons are more benign. They work according to the accumulation system, without causing acute pain sensations. Lead to suffocation and force the rodent to leave the room.
Anticoagulants are a type of organic poison. The principle of action is based on a violation of blood clotting and the animal dies from hemorrhage.
Preparations for baiting rats can be presented in the form of: powder, liquid, tablets, briquettes, creams. Ready-made poisons generally do not require preparation. The maximum that may be required is to mix the poison with a fragrant bait, sprinkle it in a container and place it in secluded places.
The most effective poisons:
- Goliath - causes asthma attacks, which leads to the release of the rodent into the air.
- Rathindal is a highly toxic powder that is mixed with common foods. Has a high toxicity, can not be used in the presence of people and animals.
- Tsunami is a rodenticidal agent, as a rule, used by professionals for pest control. In rodents, it causes hemorrhage and rapid death.
- Mortorat - granular poison is used both indoors and outdoors. The death of the animal occurs after 5 days. Causes mummification, which prevents the appearance of cadaverous odor. Dangerous for people.
- Storm - is produced in the form of briquettes, which makes it easier to use. Death occurs 4-8 days after the first use. It has a mummifying effect. Dangerous to people and pets.
When using poisons, you must strictly follow the instructions and use personal protective equipment.
- Start using the drug by reading the instructions.
- When using poisons of high toxicity, process in a well-ventilated area.
- Wear rubber gloves and a mask before opening the poison package.
- Limit access to the drug for small children and pets.
- Wash hands thoroughly after contact with poison.
Video: poison or ultrasound
The choice of this or that method of exterminating rodents depends on their own preferences and capabilities. The main thing is to try to take into account not only the effectiveness, but also the consequences of using the product.
Recently, electrical traps have become very popular. This is the most humane way to get rid of rodents. The trap is a container inside which you need to place the bait. As soon as the rat gets inside, all exits are blocked and a shock is applied, which instantly kills the animal. A special sensor signals the need to clean the device. Can be used multiple times. Safe for children and pets.
Getting rid of rats with current
Homes where cats live are less likely to be infested by rodents. A cat must have a developed hunting instinct, and this is not always the case. This is the most natural way to kill rodents, but there are also disadvantages to it. The animal can contract infectious diseases by eating caught prey. Therefore, the cat should be vaccinated. Another disadvantage of this method is that the cat eats its prey in front of the household. And this, you see, is an unpleasant sight.
The natural way to get rid of rats
There are many folk remedies, the effectiveness of which can only be tested in practice:
- Mix equal proportions of gypsum and cornmeal. Add milk until a soft, plastic dough forms. Roll up balls and spread them around the room. This mixture hardens in the stomach and causes the death of the rodent.
- Take 130 g of flour and baking soda, mix with 200 g of sugar. Scatter in containers and place rats on the route. The baking soda reacts with the stomach acid of the animal and produces gas.
- Mix cereals, flour and alabaster in equal proportions, put water next to it. The mixture moistened with water in the stomach will harden and lead to death.
- Mix the crushed wine cork with bread crumbs and unrefined butter.
Mix dry potatoes with gypsum, add a pinch of cinnamon and water, until a homogeneous and plastic consistency is obtained. Roll up balls and place in secluded corners.
Spread out the poison from folk remedies in places inaccessible to children and animals
Video: getting rid of rats forever with improvised means
If the size of the problem becomes catastrophic, all methods have been tried, or you just do not want to get rid of rats on your own, you can contact the city SES or special companies that provide a deratization service.
Features of getting rid of rats in various rooms
When choosing a method of struggle, one must take into account the territory from which the uninvited guests are to be expelled.
It is necessary to use more humane and non-toxic means in apartments, since people are constantly there. The main thing is to cover up all holes and suspicious crevices with a mixture of concrete and broken glass. The most suitable will be folk remedies and ultrasound devices.
In apartment buildings, rats enter apartments using sewers. It is extremely rare, but there were cases when the rat got into the apartment through the toilet. In this case, do not panic, but you need to quickly slam the lid and rinse with water until the rodent leaves back. To avoid this situation, you should wash the toilet with alkaline agents as often as possible. The alkali eats away at the paws of the rodent and discourages the desire to move in this direction.
Ash is good for fighting rats in a private house. It damages the paws of rodents and is bad for the digestive system, causing death. Sprinkle along the foundation and baseboards. You can also try to get rid of rodents with the help of animals: cats, hedgehogs, ferrets, geese.
Video: do it yourself rat trap
Sheds for animals
Chicken coops, pigsties, rabbitries are a favorite place for rodents. To avoid their appearance, when building a shed, it is necessary to cover the floor with gravel mixed with broken glass. If this was not done, then the holes that have appeared should be covered with broken glass and covered with cement.
The best way to get rid of rats is bait with poison, only they need to be placed in a place inaccessible to animals. You can also use ultrasonic devices.
Outbuildings and garages
You can fight rats using pungent odors:
- sprinkle the corners of the building with formalin or kerosene;
- burn a piece of rubber;
- mix naphthalene and sawdust and scatter near burrows and in corners;
- put a rag moistened with turpentine into the hole;
- to smoke a room with a sulfur stick.
You can also use all kinds of poisons, traps and traps. And the best thing is to invite specialists to carry out vertization.
You can use a smoke bomb in the garage. If the rat gets under the hood of the car, then you need to start the car, get out and close the gate. Let the engine run for 10-15 minutes. Then turn off and leave the garage closed for a day. After that, thoroughly ventilate. The rat will not stand such an ecological disaster and will leave.
Video: how to deal with rats in a car
The use of traps and chemicals in a personal plot is dangerous to humans. Therefore, it is better to use ultrasonic scarers. You can use folk methods and plant strong-smelling herbs: black root, elderberry, mint, garlic.
Photo gallery: "grass repellents"
Properly dried mint, as well as its alcohol tincture, scares away rats well.
Alkaloids contained in blackroot juice have a negative effect on the nervous system of animals
Rats cannot stand the unpleasant smell of elderberry
The smell of garlic scares away rats
Scorched pieces of natural wool, scattered over the area, scare away rodents well.
How to get rid of the smell of a dead rat
There are proven effective ways to get rid of the smell of a dead rodent:
- The cause of the smell must be removed.
- Ventilate the room.
- The place where the corpse was lying should be covered with soda, which can then be easily collected with a vacuum cleaner.
- Rinse and clean all textiles.
- Place a piece of cotton wool in a ceramic or iron bowl and set it on fire. Leave to simmer for a few hours.
- Treat all hard surfaces with vinegar, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide or bleach.
- Place absorbents in the room: coffee, lemon, salt, soda, activated carbon or store products.
- Wash the floor with bleach and use a fragrance and air freshener.
What to do to keep rats from getting started
Simple actions are needed to prevent the appearance of rats:
- Keep your home clean.
- Store all food items in a sealed container.
- Close animal feed in metal containers.
- Clean up food debris in the house and yard.
- Take out the trash on time.
- Fill up all holes and even small cracks.
- Do not store firewood near your home.
Close the ventilation openings with grilles with a fine metal mesh.
A clean home is the best prevention
Any problem is easier to prevent than to solve later. By observing some simple rules, you can prevent the appearance of rats in the premises. But if rodents have mastered housing, do not despair. There is a suitable method for each specific situation.
Popular by topic
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to use ash correctly as fertilizer for the garden and vegetable garden. Ash types, its effect on different types of soil
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials