Table of contents:
- What are veneered doors, and how to install them yourself
- Construction of veneered doors
- Veneer door manufacturers
- Features of different types of veneered doors
- Is it possible to make veneered doors with your own hands
- How to install the door
- How to repair and maintain veneered doors
- Reviews of veneered doors
Video: Veneered Doors: Varieties, Accessories, Installation And Operation Features
2023 Author: Bailey Albertson | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:29
What are veneered doors, and how to install them yourself
Veneered doors are a modern, high-quality and affordable solution for a residential building, office space or other space. Such doors are presented in many options, so before choosing, familiarize yourself with the characteristics of different designs and installation features.
1 Construction of veneered doors
1.1 Photo gallery: options for veneered doors
2 Veneer door manufacturers
2.1 Video: veneer manufacturing technique at the enterprise
3 Features of different types of veneered doors
- 3.1 Doors from natural veneer
- 3.2 Veneered doors with panels
- 3.3 Blind veneer interior doors
- 3.4 Doors with glass
- 3.5 Doors with eco-veneer coating
4 Is it possible to make veneered doors with your own hands
- 4.1 Making a simple veneered door
- 4.2 Video: how to glue the veneer to the edge
5 How to install the door
5.1 Video: installing an interior door with your own hands
6 How to repair and maintain veneered doors
6.1 Options for door accessories
- 7 Reviews of veneered doors
Construction of veneered doors
The veneered door consists of natural wood and chipboard (chipboard or MDF). The structure includes a frame and additional door elements, on which veneer is attached - a very thin cut of natural wood. Outside, this layer is covered with paints and varnishes, and the finished door looks like a product made of solid natural wood.
The veneer gives the impression that the product is completely made of wood
For the manufacture of doors, different types of veneer are used, which determines the durability of the outer coating. The main options are:
sliced veneer - produced on a horizontal machine. The basis is high-quality wood of ash, beech, walnut, elm. Slice thickness does not exceed 1–2 mm;
Sliced veneer resembles cardboard and is flexible
rotary cut veneer - used in the manufacture of various types of furniture and doors. Common tree species are used: pine, oak, alder, birch;
Rotary cut veneer production technology optimizes wood consumption, therefore it is widely used and has a low cost
sawn veneer - from softwood: spruce, pine, fir. The thickness of the fabric obtained is from 1 to 10 mm. Smooth sheets are practical and versatile in use.
Sawed veneer is varied in thickness, so it is used not only for external design, but also to give strength to products.
In the manufacture of doors, a canvas is created from an array, then covered with MDF sheets up to 0.4 cm thick. Next, the veneer is attached by hot pressing.
Photo gallery: options for veneered doors
Glass doors let in light, visually expanding the space
A blind veneered door is versatile due to color options
Veneered doors are similar to solid wood structures, but lightweight and easy to use
The decorated door will favorably emphasize the style of any interior
Paneled doors are popular due to cost and variety of designs.
Small glass inserts add mystery and comfort to the room
Doors in natural colors make the atmosphere homey and comfortable
Veneer door manufacturers
Large hardware stores offer a wide range of doors from different manufacturers. There are several main popular brands that provide high-quality and modern veneered doors:
- Profildoors have been known for over 15 years, they make doors and accessories for them. In the manufacture they use safe, durable materials and reliable technologies.
- "ONIX" - provides a wide selection of both modern and classic veneered doors: budget, premium products and models of the middle price category. Many of them are made with platbands, for the installation of which nails are needed.
- MARIO RIOLI is an Italian brand that presents a variety of high quality doors with the maximum configuration. Products are characterized by moisture resistance, ease of use and affordable price.
Manufacturers produce veneered doors in a variety of colors to meet customer needs
Video: veneer manufacturing technique at the enterprise
Features of different types of veneered doors
The type of door depends on the interior design, veneer and decor used. Thus, an assortment is created - products differ in characteristics, appearance, installation and operation features.
Natural veneer doors
Veneer is made from a solid sheet of natural wood or several layers, carefully painted over and glued together. The last option is called fine-line or modified veneer. Such material imitates the surface of different types of wood or even fabric, which characterizes another type - multi-veneer.
The production technology involves peeling wood, selecting sheets with a similar pattern, gluing them and pressing them into blocks, which are then planed into sheets of the required thickness for veneering.
Doors with natural veneer have a rough surface of natural wood
Doors with natural veneer have a wooden base, on which a thin sheet of MDF and painted wood is fixed. Budget options include corrugated board or expanded polystyrene filler, since there are voids inside the frame that are filled.
To reduce weight and improve thermal insulation, veneered doors are manufactured using stiffening ribs in hollow structures
The main advantages of natural veneer doors:
- natural and safe materials;
- solid appearance and pleasant to the touch surface roughness of natural wood;
- affordable price combined with a long service life;
- resistance to low humidity due to varnish coating;
- thermal insulation;
- easy care using products for wood products.
But even high-quality doors cannot tolerate high humidity and temperature changes, therefore they are not recommended for baths and bathrooms, otherwise the veneer will peel off and the surface will swell. List of disadvantages:
- veneer fades in direct sunlight;
- suitable only for dry rooms;
- it is difficult to choose doors of the same shades, since trees of even the same species differ in color;
- veneer does not tolerate mechanical stress, requires careful handling.
Veneered doors with panels
Wooden paneled doors are made entirely of natural wood of various species. Panels - curly inserts in the frame. In such doors, all external parts are pasted over with veneer: the frame, panels, glazing beads. But such door options are rare, since their manufacture is very difficult and labor-intensive.
Paneled veneered doors are outwardly indistinguishable from those made of solid wood
The design assumes a frame in which panels of various shapes and sizes are installed. The canvas turns out to be deaf, decorated with curly details. In the lock area, the frame is reinforced, which is necessary for the reliability of the door handle and lock.
The panels have different shapes and give the product a beautiful appearance
The advantages of such designs:
- original appearance due to the different shape and arrangement of the panels;
- light weight, good sound insulation;
- strength, resistance to shock and mechanical stress;
- suitable for any premises of a residential building or office.
If damp wood was used in the production or poor-quality assembly was carried out, then paneled veneer doors will lose their original appearance over time. Cracks form in the area of joining the panels with the frame, and the strength of the product is significantly reduced.
Blind veneer interior doors
Deaf veneered doors are flat or paneled doors without glass inserts. There is a honeycomb filler inside the frame. There are also hollow options with low sound insulation and minimal cost. The outer covering is MDF sheet with veneer glued to it.
Blind doors are well soundproofed and completely separate the space between rooms
Blind doors look simpler from a flat sheet, but more convenient to use: they are easier to clean. The door frame and platbands are matched to the color of the leaf and complete with it.
Deaf structures are appropriate in an office space and in large rooms of a country house
Positive features of this design:
- a high degree of heat and sound insulation of the room;
- a variety of decor options: panels, straight canvas, decoration with all kinds of overlays, etc.;
- easy installation without risk of damaging the glass inserts.
The disadvantage of a blind veneered door is that any defects (peeling of veneer, swelling of the coating, the appearance of cracks) that appear during operation are immediately noticeable. This is especially true for flat cloths. But with careful use, they will last over 12 years.
Many interior-type doors are made with glass inserts: matte, translucent, colored, with a sandblast pattern. Glass is used, which occupies more than half of the canvas, or several small inserts are made. Such elements not only decorate the door, but also transmit light, additionally decorating the space of the room.
Doors with glass can be classic or quite original, made according to individual sketches
The sound insulation of such structures is lower than that of the deaf. Glass can be with a pattern or other decor, but options with frosted glass inserts are popular, on which a narrow glazing bead is glued, visually separating the glass.
Dark doors with glass look strict and stylish against the background of light walls
Advantages of glass doors:
- diverse design, optimal for interiors of all styles;
- structures of different types of movement: sliding, "accordion", swing;
- use of special glass "Triplex", resistant to impacts.
Low-quality and cheap models are often not durable. Therefore, when choosing, pay attention to the thoroughness of fastening all parts and the type of glass used.
Eco-veneer coated doors
Eco-veneer - unnatural coating: polyurethane foam film with wood chips. Wood fibers are pressed and mixed with polypropylene. Outwardly, such a coating looks like a natural veneer, and inexperienced consumers confuse eco-veneer products with solid wood structures.
To the touch and externally, eco-veneer doors are very similar to natural wood products
The inner parts of the door frame with eco-veneer coating are similar, the only difference is in the outer layer.
Eco-veneer is made in different colors, so it is suitable for doors and furniture of any style
The main advantages of this type of product:
- high resistance to moisture - does not allow water to pass through;
- resistance to chemical and mechanical stress - non-porous dense material;
- does not fade in the sun; easy to match doors of the same color;
- safe for life even with strong heating of the material;
- imitation of the structure of natural wood;
- easy care - dirt is easily washed off;
- variety of design options.
Poor-quality doors with such a coating are quickly deformed due to poor fastening of elements to each other, and the damaged (burst) part of the eco-veneer cannot be restored.
When buying a veneered door of any type, consider the following important points:
- the door leaf should be approximately 50 mm smaller than the dimensions of the opening without the frame. If the structure is purchased in a building under construction, then it is possible to install any door, but with the inclusion of dimensions in the construction plan;
- inspect the door for defects such as scratches, veneer peeling or unevenness;
- decide in advance on the direction of movement of the canvas. This requirement is relevant for all types of structures: sliding, swing, "accordion";
- choose door design, color and decor in accordance with the general style of your room. The shade should be in harmony with the furniture, the color of the walls and curtains.
On the door leaf, the veneer is located in different directions: horizontal stripes, vertical, in the form of a composite pattern
Is it possible to make veneered doors with your own hands
Any type of veneer is fixed to the surface by three methods: hot pressing, cold pressing and membrane vacuum. It is almost impossible to implement these technologies at home: they require special equipment and professional knowledge of the technique. Therefore, the most affordable way is to make a door from the manufacturer to order or to buy a door leaf and accessories in a store with subsequent self-installation.
Sophisticated equipment for the production of veneered doors works in conveyor mode and is serviced by specialists
Making a simple veneered door
Self-production of such doors is very difficult and unprofitable, but it is still worth knowing the technology of producing simple canvases with your own hands. The option of opening such doors is chosen individually.
The door can be made sliding, it is only necessary to mount the system of rollers and guides
You will need a breadboard knife, a syringe, as well as a wooden block or chipboard sheet, a ruler, tracing paper, veneer and glue designed for wood. If the door is going to be painted, then prepare brushes or a spray gun with a compressor and paintwork material. The main stages of work:
Carefully align the frame, which is made from bars. You can use an old door with a flat surface or purchase a chipboard sheet with a thickness of 30 mm or more. Cut holes for the door handle and lock. Sand the entire surface with medium-grit sandpaper and rub the gaps with wood filler.
To make a simple door yourself, it is best to purchase a chipboard sheet
Once dry, sand again. The veneer is cut to the size of the base. Carpentry glue is applied to the canvas and veneer, allowed to dry. Then, as accurately as possible, smoothing, a sheet of veneer is fixed and carried out over the entire surface with an iron heated to medium temperature. Edging tape is attached to the ends in the same way.
Iron is carried out on all planes of the door, achieving uniform heating of the veneer
If bubbles form after the glue dries, then the veneer in these places should be slightly cut and smoothed with an iron. At the end of the work, sand the surface with fine sandpaper, blow off the dust and start painting.
Painting is best done with a spray gun, applying paint and varnish material for reliability in two layers
Video: how to glue the veneer to the edge
How to install the door
Before installation, be sure to level the opening, putty the walls, eliminate cracks. After that, proceed to the installation of the door:
- The door frame is assembled, installed in the opening and leveled by fixing with wedges. The evenness is checked with a square and a building level.
- The slots between the box and the wall are treated with polyurethane foam, removing wedges.
- After the foam dries, we install the hinges, hang the doors and adjust their evenness by tightening / loosening the hinge screws.
- The handle and the lock are mounted both before and after installing the door.
Wedges help to align the box, so that later the door can easily close and come off without clinging to the box structure
Video: installing an interior door with your own hands
How to repair and maintain veneered doors
For the care of veneered, wooden, laminated doors, special furniture products are used. A polish, furniture corrector or marker, wax will help remove minor scratches and dirt. Do not use hard sponges and brushes. Wipe the doors with a slightly damp soft cloth.
Products in the form of a spray or with a spray can quickly and efficiently remove dirt
In the process of using veneered doors, it is important to know how to eliminate common faults. For example, the following situations arise:
it is necessary to paint the damaged or faded surface of the door. Select the desired paint color, remove the door from the hinges and remove the old coating with coarse and medium sandpaper. The dust should be blown off and a new coat of varnish should be carefully applied;
You can paint the door with a brush, applying a thin layer of varnish along the canvas, in one direction
glue the peeled veneer (due to moisture or other factors). Carefully apply wood glue with a narrow brush or syringe under the peeled coating, smooth the veneer with a rag or foam rubber and press it down with a press, allowing it to dry under pressure;
In case of severe delamination, the veneer is best replaced with a new one
cut the canvas without damaging the veneer if the new door is larger than the opening. You will need a circular saw with carbide inserts and a large number of teeth. Draw a cutting line on the canvas with a pencil, use a construction knife in the veneer to push a groove in the width of the cut and drink at maximum speed. Grind the surface with fine-grained emery paper;
When processing the door, you need to take into account the structure of the frame so as not to damage it by pressing too hard on a weak point.
tighten the self-tapping screws of the hinges if the door touches the box when moving. But with a strong sagging, you should remove the canvas, rearrange the loops a little up and hang it back;
Door hinges are matched to the color of the door leaf and frame, taking into account the reliability of the rotating device and the weight of the door itself
grease squeaking hinges. Use solid oil, lithol, WD 40, cyatim. Apply a little grease with a sponge or brush into the hinge mechanism. Or drip engine oil into the hinges. Remove excess with a cloth.
Apply a small amount of products in small amounts, turning the door on the hinges so that the grease flows through the hinge
Door accessory options
For veneered doors, high-quality, beautiful and reliable components are selected:
- door handle - comfortable, durable, in line with the overall design;
- lock - miniature simple options are chosen for interior doors, especially if the door is with glass;
- platbands - telescopic (inserted into the groove of the box), overhead (attached to the wall with studs). Made of the same material as the door;
- hinges - overhead or mortise, hidden or corner, screw-in or double-sided. One part of the hinges is attached to the frame and the other to the edge of the door. The options differ in functionality and are selected depending on the desired type of door movement and the weight of the structure.
The accessories are varied and selected depending on the type and functionality of the door
Reviews of veneered doors
The veneered doors combine the beauty of the exterior with the practicality of use. There is always a choice of doors for every taste and color. And correct installation will preserve the appearance and functionality of the structure for decades.