Table of contents:
- Types of locks for plastic doors and work with them
- Classification of locks for plastic doors
- Installing a lock in a plastic door
- Removing the plastic door lock
Video: Locks For Plastic Doors: Which Are Better To Use And How To Install Correctly
Types of locks for plastic doors and work with them
Probably, every person is faced with the need to install plastic doors in their apartment, for example, they are often used to separate the balcony from the main living space. The fact is that a plastic door allows you to create effective heat and sound insulation. Despite such popularity, the cost of plastic doors is quite high, and the installation of locks for them also requires relatively high costs. We recommend that you do this on your own, without resorting to the services of professionals, because they are quite expensive, and you can find almost all the necessary information in the material below.
- 1 Classification of locks for plastic doors
2 Installing a lock in a plastic door
2.1 Video: installing a lock on a plastic door
- 3 Removing the plastic door lock
Classification of locks for plastic doors
If you want to install a lock on a plastic door, then when choosing, first of all, you should pay attention to its type, because a lot depends on it. Such locks are usually divided into overhead locks (a mechanism installed on the surface of the canvas) and mortise (a mechanism located inside a plastic door). It is worth mentioning that in most situations it is mortise locks that are used, since they do not spoil the appearance of the door and do not take up extra space, and the level of reliability can be provided quite high, if necessary.
Mortise locks are also usually divided into types, here are the main ones:
- Suvaldnye. Such locks are several plates underlying the closing mechanism itself. A lever lock for a plastic door is not used so often; it is customary to install it on wooden or metal interior or entrance doors. Among the advantages of such locks, one should highlight their prevalence and low price, and the main disadvantage is the low level of resistance to burglary. If you decide to purchase just such a lock, then take into account the burglary resistance class of the mechanism, as well as the material and the number of levers themselves (cylindrical “latches”).
Cylinder. This type of locks is very similar to the previously disassembled one, it is also rarely used, since it is intended primarily for wooden and metal doors. The basis of the cylinder lock is the larva, that is, the locking part itself, in which the key is placed. The main advantage of mechanisms of this kind is considered resistance to hacking. When choosing, pay attention to the protection of the lock, which is characterized by the material of manufacture and resistance to burglary, as well as functionality.
Cylinder locks are difficult to pick with master keys, and lever racks are difficult to use brute force
- Electronic. Such locks have appeared relatively recently, but they have a lot of advantages over other options, because they can be opened from a long distance using a special remote control or key fob. They are used on elite plastic doors and are included in the design of expensive private houses, but there are also more advanced types of mechanisms. The main advantage of electronic locks is ease of use, because it was for this that they were created, but at the same time protection often has to be sacrificed, so more expensive and reliable types of such devices should be preferred - electromechanical or electromagnetic locks.
Electromechanical. Such mechanisms have several protection options at once (for example, latch and electronic protection). An electromechanical lock has mechanical bolts, but opening can be done not only with a key, but also with special electronic devices (for example, a card, remote control or key fob). Such a lock is more expensive, but much more reliable than an ordinary electronic one and even any mechanical analogue discussed earlier. When choosing, consider the peculiarities of the castle, for example, the hidden location of some elements that can interfere with intruders, as well as ordinary factors, such as reliability, materials and appearance.
The electromechanical lock is often used in vaults and banks, as it is extremely reliable
- Electromagnetic. This option is practically no different from the previous one, but instead of a mechanical addition to the electronic lock, special magnets are used here to hold the door leaf until it is opened. The electromagnetic lock can only function with a constant power supply, consider this when purchasing. The holding force of such locks can reach up to 1 ton, but due to the previously mentioned factor, it is recommended to install multi-point or electromechanical models, electromagnetic ones are more suitable for office or industrial buildings. But if you decide to put such a lock on a plastic door, then pay attention to the build quality of the lock and its materials.
Electromagnetic locks are reliable, but they cannot be used in all conditions (a constant supply of electricity is required)
Multi-point. As you might guess from the name, these locks are based on the use of a reliable mechanism with a large number of locking points, and sometimes even elements related to different types of mechanisms are used. Most often, multi-point locks are mounted both in the upper and in the lower part of the plastic door, because this way it is possible to achieve reliability due to fixation along the entire length of the door leaf. The main advantage is reliability, because such a door is not so easy to open, especially with brute force. Of course, this option is inferior in convenience to electronic ones, but in many situations it is worth considering. When choosing, pay attention to the number of elements, material and quality of the mechanism.
The multi-point lock device combines a large number of elements
Latch handle. It is worth considering separately the latch handles, that is, the simplest mechanisms without certain protection. They are most often used in apartments for installation on balcony doors. Their price is not high, but one cannot count on reliability either. Let us mention that the handles-latches can be equipped with additional magnetic or electronic mechanisms. When choosing, it is worth focusing on the aesthetic component, as well as on the absence of defects when pressing the handle.
Latch handles are suitable only for plastic interior doors, because you cannot count on any reliability
Please note that the choice of the lock should be carried out only in accordance with the requirements for it. For example, a balcony door does not need serious protection, but if you are going to use a plastic door as an entrance door in your country house, then you should take a closer look, for example, at an electromechanical lock.
Installing a lock in a plastic door
Let's look at the process of installing a lock using an electromagnetic one, because when you understand this process, you can easily cope with other types of mechanisms (except for a multi-point lock, you should not install such a lock, without special knowledge and experience you will only ruin the plastic door). The main stages of the process:
Markup. At this stage, you should make a detailed marking of all holes and the position of the lock. Check the accuracy of the marking several times, and it should be carried out for all parts and devices.
At the time of the start of work, you must already have all the equipment, otherwise the marking will not work
- Making holes. Drill holes depending on the type of lock you want to install. Their depth must match the length of the selected mounting screws.
Assembly of parts of the lock. The electromagnetic lock consists of two parts, one of which is on the door itself and the other on the doorway, at this stage you need to install both.
Install the parts of the lock in accordance with the instructions, without deviating from the created markings
Electronics connection. It is impossible to thoroughly disassemble the procedure during this stage, because each electromagnetic lock is connected in different ways, so the situation must be dealt with individually in accordance with the instructions, where everything is described in detail.
Hire an electrician if you can't read the power diagrams in your manual
Power connection. In accordance with the instructions, connect the electromagnetic lock to the power supply, and also be sure to check its full functionality: fixing in the closed position must be reliable, and opening must be smooth.
If you have any technical problems, contact the manufacturer of the lock (provided that your fault is not in the incorrect operation of the device)
Video: installing a lock on a plastic door
Removing the plastic door lock
Here is a quick guide to dismantling such locks:
- Preparation. Carefully study the design of the installed lock, as well as prepare the necessary tools. If you have preserved the instructions that came with the lock, then be sure to read it, because there may be the necessary information. When working with an electromagnetic or electronic lock, you must first turn off the electricity.
Remove all screws. Using a screwdriver or screwdriver, you must unscrew everything that holds the lock. This action is suitable for all patch locks and for most mortise.
Carry out all work as carefully as possible, do not damage the door leaf
Removing or removing the lock. At this stage, the dismantling of the lock itself is carried out, the process of which will differ depending on whether the built-in or overhead mechanism was installed. If you have studied the structure, as well as prepared well and unscrewed all the fasteners, then you should not have any problems with this stage.
In place of the removed lock, it will be possible to install a new one, but most often it is of the same type as the previous one, if we are not talking about overhead locks
Some locks are built into the door, that is, they are installed in production during the creation of the door leaf. Despite the fact that such situations are quite rare, you can still find locks that cannot be removed without consequences, that is, at the end of the work, the door will be damaged.
The choice of locks is an individual process that depends on many factors. You cannot choose the perfect lock, suitable always and everywhere, pay attention to the requirements that will be placed on the mechanism.
Popular by topic
Installing a warm electric floor with your own hands. Practical advice on choosing the type of underfloor heating, recommendations for the installation of cable and film floors
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
How to properly grow cucumbers in the winter on the windowsill. Selection of varieties, germination of seeds, planting seedlings, soil preparation
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work