Table of contents:
- Glass doors for bathroom and shower
- Varieties of glass partitions for bathroom and shower
- Glass door accessories
- Making a glass partition with your own hands
- Installing glass shower doors
- Care and maintenance
Video: Glass Doors And Partitions For Bathroom And Shower: Types, Device, Components, Installation And Operation Features
Glass doors for bathroom and shower
A glass door or shower screen combines functionality with a sleek look. If in the near future you are planning to make repairs in the bathroom, then take note of this decision.
1 Types of glass partitions for bathroom and shower
- 1.1 Video: glass shower screens and doors
- 1.2 Swing
- 1.3 Foldable
1.4.1 Video: Transparent Sliding Shower Door
- 1.5 Stationary
2 Accessories for glass door
2.1 Video: installation of glass shower fittings
- 3 Making a glass partition with your own hands
4 Installing glass shower doors
- 4.1 Video: installing a glass partition in a shower room
- 4.2 Swing structure
- 4.3 Sliding door
- 5 Care and use
- 6 Reviews
Varieties of glass partitions for bathroom and shower
Glass doors are always beautiful and aesthetically pleasing. In the bathroom, these doors can be used:
for enclosing a shower located in a special niche;
The arrangement of a shower in a niche is becoming more and more popular.
for installation in a shower cabin;
Standard shower cabins are equipped with glass doors
as a bath divider.
Glass partitions replace standard bathroom curtains
Glass doors have both advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of such partitions include:
A variety of choices. Glass installed as a partition can be decorated with:
- photo printing;
- stained glass;
- polymer film;
You can order an individual drawing or purchase a ready-made one
- Practicality. Glass is a material that is not afraid of water and detergents, which means it will not lose its original qualities and will not deform. In addition, bacteria do not accumulate on it, mold and mildew do not form. Cleaning glass doors is very easy.
- Nice appearance. Glass doors look attractive as opposed to plastic partitions or shower curtains. In addition, they are appropriate for almost any interior style.
- Increased space. As you know, glass can visually expand the area, which is especially important in small bathrooms.
- Safety and durability. Glass for partitions and shower doors is made using special technologies that can withstand heavy loads.
- Long service life. Glass partitions have an unlimited service life, since glass is not subject to changes under the influence of various factors.
Glass doors and partitions will fit into the bathroom, decorated in any style
Also, glass doors have several disadvantages:
- Condensation formed. Due to the high humidity in the bathroom, condensation constantly forms on the glass doors, which must be removed. However, you can organize good ventilation in the room, then this problem will disappear.
- High cost. A good glass door with quality fittings will not come cheap. But, having installed such a structure, you do not have to worry about the fact that you will have to change it soon. The glass door will last for many years.
- The fragility of glass. The chance of breaking a glass partition is low, but there is. The broken surface will not scatter to pieces, which will serve for your safety, but such a door will not be repairable. However, partitions made of triplex glass are on sale, which is almost impossible to break.
When choosing a glass door, you need to take into account the parameters of the shower room and the size of the bathroom.
In order for a glass door to serve for a long time and efficiently, it is necessary to approach it responsibly. To do this, you need to pay attention to the following features:
- Glass quality. The material must be hardened, impact-resistant. Be at least six millimeters thick. The edges of the glass surface must necessarily be processed, not have sharp corners and chips.
- The quality of the fittings. High-quality fittings are made of corrosion-resistant material.
- The presence of all the necessary holes for mounting.
- Simplicity of the mechanism. The easier it is to close / open the door, the better. But it is necessary to ensure that the canvas fits snugly, does not have gaps and distortions.
- Dimensions of the glass sheet. The door must be the right size and also fit the overall bathroom design.
In addition, when choosing a door, you need to pay attention to such detail as the way of opening. Distinguish:
The swing door requires free space in front of it to open
Folding doors are suitable for installation in a small bathroom
No extra space required to open the sliding door
A stationary partition protects the bathroom space from water ingress
Some door opening methods are suitable only for a shower niche, while others are universal and appropriate both in a niche and for a bath or shower enclosure.
Video: glass shower screens and doors
Swing doors have a standard look. They open with the usual movement of the hand to the side. This type of design can be installed in a niche with or without a pallet, they are also suitable for enclosing a bathtub and shower stall.
The swing door can enclose the shower area without a pallet
Swing doors will look more appropriate in large bathrooms, since opening the door will require free space in front of it. Perhaps this is the only drawback of this type of door.
The pluses include:
- cheapness - the swing structure is the most affordable among glass partitions;
- versatility - can be installed for any type of shower or bath;
- practicality - the doors do not have complex fittings that need to be replaced over time;
- a variety of designs - swing doors can have any design, color, pattern, in addition, they can be single-leaf or double-leaf.
A type of swing door is a pendulum door. It opens like an ordinary door, but you can do it in any direction: from yourself and towards yourself.
Swing doors open in any direction
Swing doors for a bathroom or shower do not need a lot of hardware: you only need hinges and a handle.
Folding doors are a kind of accordion that folds along the wall when opened. This design does not take up much space, which means it is suitable for small rooms. This type of door is usually installed in niches or shower trays with them.
Folding door leaves can be any width
The pluses include:
- compactness - the door does not take up extra space;
- aesthetics - folding doors look beautiful and stylish;
- various designs - you can install either one folding door or two, in addition, the canvases are decorated in a variety of ways.
A folding door can have one or two leaves
Parts of the folding door are connected to each other with special fittings, which are not cheap, which entails an increase in price. This can be attributed to the disadvantages of this design.
The canvas of the sliding structure moves on rollers along special rails along the wall. This door is most common in shower cabins and standard bathtubs, although it is also appropriate for shower niches.
Sliding doors are comfortable and easy to operate
The advantages of sliding structures are:
- versatility - suitable for installation in niches, showers and baths;
- compactness - does not require additional space to open;
- variety of appearance - doors can be completely glass, have a steel or plastic profile, be decorated with various patterns.
The sliding door has one significant drawback: for its movement, rails and rollers are needed, which over time may fail and need to be replaced. Therefore, initially you need to choose high-quality fittings and in the future do not experience problems in operation.
A revolving model can be considered a type of sliding door. It differs in that it does not move along the wall of the cabin, but describes a kind of circle. This design can only be installed in a shower niche.
Revolving doors take up more opening space than folding doors
Video: transparent sliding shower door
It is more appropriate to call stationary structures not doors, but partitions, since they do not open, but simply shield the shower area from the rest of the bathroom space. Partitions are installed on the side where the shower is located so that water does not splash onto the floor.
Any pattern can be applied to the partitions
This design does not provide heat retention in the shower room, which is a disadvantage, especially if the bathroom is quite large. The plus is the fact that the partition does not have any movable fittings, which means that the probability of breakage is excluded. This ensures a long service life.
Glass door accessories
Each type of door has its own set of components. The basic ones include:
Loops. They are the main element for swing doors. When choosing this part, you need to pay attention to the maximum load that it can withstand. If the hinges are weak, the door will squint and sag, which will worsen its appearance and complicate operation.
The hinges must be stainless steel to support the heavy weight of the glass door
Doorknobs. Required for all types of doors. The canvas is equipped with them on both sides for easy entry and exit from the bath / cabin. Each customer chooses the design according to his taste. There are no restrictions in this case. The only thing to consider is that wooden handles have properties to swell and lose their shape.
Handles can be of various shapes and colors
Connectors. Connect the door to the wall, floor, ceiling and glass panels to each other. There are three types: linear, high-rise, angular. When choosing this part, you should pay attention to the material from which it is made: it must be stainless steel. The opening angle of the connector is also important, here the choice depends on the type of structure that will be installed.
Glass doors are attached to the floor, wall and ceiling using connectors
Stabilizing rods. They protect doors from deformation. The stabilizer is placed at the junction of the wall and sash. There are overhead and mortise mountings. Mortise is more reliable.
The stabilizer helps to fix the glass more reliably
Seals. Installed to avoid water leakage.
Seals help prevent water leakage from under the door
Guides. Required for sliding doors. The sash will move along them, so they must be reliable and durable. The main load is on the top stabilizer.
The guides must be strong and reliable
Carriages. The parts contain rollers, with the help of which the canvas moves.
With the help of the carriage, the door moves along the guide
Features of the installation of accessories depends on the type of fittings, which can be:
The attachments are easy to install:
- First you need to make the correct markup. All parts must fit exactly to each other so that no gaps and backlashes are formed.
- Then you need to put on special pads that will protect the glass from damage.
- Further, the necessary accessories are fixed with clamping bolts, which are included in the kit of any product.
The fittings must be of high quality and suitable for installation in damp rooms
Cut-in parts have a more complex installation method:
- Marking is applied.
- Use a drill to make holes.
- Install linings.
- Mount the desired part in the marked place.
- Check the operation of the product.
- Carefully fix the part without tightening the fasteners too tight.
Video: installation of glass shower fittings
Making a glass partition with your own hands
You can make a stationary glass partition yourself. This will require:
- tempered glass of suitable size 4–10 mm thick with processed edges;
- aluminum profile with clamps, the same size as the thickness of the glass;
- fasteners (dowels, screws and screws);
- set of drills;
- adjustable wrench;
- sealant or liquid rubber;
- building level;
- impact electric drill with screwdriver mode;
- a simple pencil or marker;
- a hammer;
- dry clean cloth.
Glass can be chosen in any color, the main thing is that it is thick and tempered
The execution technology is as follows:
- We mark the location of the partition and the points of its attachment on the floor (bath) and ceiling.
- Using a drill, we drill holes for dowels on the ceiling and floor. Using a hammer, carefully hammer them.
- We make holes in the aluminum profile. We fix it with self-tapping screws.
- At a distance of ten millimeters from the edge of the glass, we make holes with a diamond drill.
- We fill the profile with a sealant, install glass in it, clamp it with special clamping screws.
- We mark the points for fastening the hinges, make holes, install the hinges, fasten the glass.
- We treat the joints with a sealant, removing the excess with a dry cloth.
Installing glass shower doors
If you decide to refuse the services of professional installers and carry out the installation yourself, then first you need to thoroughly study the instructions for the door.
Then you need to acquire the following tools:
- level (laser or bubble);
- drill with a set of victorious drills;
- hex keys.
Prepare all tools in advance
Video: installing a glass partition in a shower room
The installation of a swing door can be divided into nine steps:
Profile position marking. We mark the location of the vertical guide on the wall in the niche. It is worth using the level here. It is necessary to approach this moment very responsibly, since mistakes are fraught with negative consequences: incorrect markings will make the appearance of the niche unaesthetic, it is rather difficult to close up extra holes.
If the marking is incorrect, holes will become visible on the ceramic tile, it is impossible to seal them imperceptibly, you will have to adapt additional elements as decor
Drilling holes in the wall. We make holes for dowels at the marking points using a drill with special drills.
Work carefully to avoid cracking the tiles
Filling holes with liquid nails. To make the installation of the dowels reliable, we fill the holes with liquid nails. Excess product must be removed immediately before it dries.
To increase the reliability of the installation of the plastic parts of the dowels, fill the holes with liquid nails
Fixing the profile. We lubricate the reverse side of the profiles with an antibacterial sealant so that water does not flow through the tile joints.
Never seal the profiles after their installation, the sealant will necessarily peel off after a while - it will have to be removed and the procedure repeated, it is long and difficult
Installation of the canvas. Install and fasten the guide, insert glass into it. We monitor the coincidence of the hinges and technological slots so that the door holds securely and opens well. We fix the hinges with special clamps.
It is very simple to check the horizontal installation of the door leaf: if it is stationary in any position, then the guide is installed correctly, if the door spontaneously opens or closes a little, that is, deviations from horizontal
Installation of the mating part of the door. We mark up the placement of the profile. We make sure that it is in the same plane with the main one.
If the partitions are completely the same, then check the distance from the profiles to the ends of the partitions, they should also be equivalent
- Drilling holes. We make holes for the dowels, process the back of the profile with silicone, fix it with dowels.
Installing the handle. Put silicone pads under the holes and install the handle.
Clamp the hardware carefully, do not forget that you are working with glass
- The final stage. We install the bottom plate in the same way as the aluminum profiles were installed.
After completing the installation, check the ease of opening and closing the sash. If there are any flaws, adjust the door with special screws.
It is also possible to install the sliding door yourself, but the process is a little more complicated:
Mark the holes of the vertical profile under the level on the wall. Drill them out and drive in the plastic parts of the dowels.
If the shower niche has an installed tray, then its location should be taken into account when marking
Install the vertical profile on the wall, fix it firmly with dowels.
The profile is fixed with dowels
Screw on the special elements at the top of the vertical profiles to fix the horizontal guides. The same actions must be performed on the opposite wall of the niche.
Use a vacuum cleaner to reduce contamination in the room while drilling holes, keep the suction pipe as close to the drill bit as possible
Place the glass sheet in profile.
When installing a glass sheet, it is better to resort to the help of a partner
Use a piece of board and a hammer to drive the rubber seal.
Work carefully to avoid damaging glass surfaces and tiles
Fix special stops at the bottom of the door, take measurements taking into account the location of the glass.
Stops are fixed with a screwdriver
Take your time, constantly check the position of each element. Remember that the time spent on fixing errors is always greater than the time spent on the proof test. This is at best, and at worst, you will have to dismantle incorrectly installed door parts.
Check the position of each element carefully
Remove the stoppers from the upper profile, put on the glass fixing units and put the stoppers in their original place. These elements have rollers, at the same time make sure that they lie exactly in the grooves.
The rollers must lie exactly in the grooves
Put special plates with spacers on the upper edge of the glass.
Gaskets are installed along the edge of the glass
Slide the horizontal profile onto the plates. Tighten the bolts lightly, do not crack. Install the horizontal profile into the brackets and fix it securely.
Insert the profile into the brackets and fix it
Insert the door leaf into the attachment points on the upper profile, fix it using gaskets and special bolts.
Check the reliability of fixation and ease of movement when opening / closing the door
- Attach the maximum travel stop to the top of the roller housing. For precise adjustment, it has an elongated groove, which allows you to correctly control the position of the opening sash. The limiter additionally fixes the open position; to close it, you need to apply little effort.
Put silicone gaskets on the side edges of the glass. They should easily fall into place by hand pressure. If there is a jam, then you need to find the cause and eliminate it.
The seal is attached to the ends of the glass
Place the handles on the glass. There are special holes for the handles, do not forget to always use silicone gaskets between the glasses and metal elements. Remember that all bolts must be installed from the inside of the shower enclosure.
Close the holes for hardware with decorative plugs
Attach a narrow bottom profile at the door sill. To prevent water leaks from the inside, apply antibacterial silicone to it.
To prevent water leaks from the inside, apply antibacterial silicone to the bottom profile
- Check the functionality and tightness of the door, make fine adjustments if necessary. If the work was done carefully and in compliance with the described rules, then no problems will arise.
Care and maintenance
Glass doors are easy to operate. They can withstand high humidity, temperature drops, water ingress on the surface. The main thing is to be careful when using them: do not allow heavy loads on the doors and do not drop heavy objects on them. Although glass is shock-resistant, it is still likely to break.
Glass door is quite easy to maintain
To clean glass from dirt, you need to select the correct cleaning agent that does not contain abrasive particles. You can use special glass products. The sponge must be soft, hard scrapers should never be used - they will scratch the door surface.
Finding a glass cleaner is easy
The metal fittings must be lubricated. For this, ordinary sewing machine oil or a special WD-40 tool is suitable.
WD-40 products are equipped with a special sprinkler, which makes them easy to apply
If the door is equipped with seals, they tend to wear out. This means that they need to be changed periodically. This is not difficult to do. You just need to pick up a similar material and install it in place of the old one.
Glass door maintenance is pretty simple. You don't need any special tools to keep the glass sheet clean.
A glass shower room will decorate any bathroom
Glass doors for showers and baths are a stylish interior detail. They are able to transform a room, add space and light to it. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the type of opening, the quality of the fittings, as well as the design of the canvas. If you approach this with due responsibility, then the glass door will delight you with an attractive appearance and good performance.
Popular by topic
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to use ash correctly as fertilizer for the garden and vegetable garden. Ash types, its effect on different types of soil
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials