Table of contents:
- How to make a rocking chair with your own hands
- Types of rocking chairs
- How to make a rocking chair with your own hands
Video: How To Make A Rocking Chair (including Plywood) With Your Own Hands: Types, Step-by-step Instructions, Drawings, Etc. + Photos And Videos
How to make a rocking chair with your own hands
Most people associate a rocking chair with home comfort, rest, relaxation. Sitting in it, it is pleasant to have a cup of coffee, read a book or dream by the fireplace, covered with a blanket, on a long winter evening. Measured wiggle soothes, relaxes, gives peace. It's not for nothing that everyone loves to swing so much, even on ordinary chairs, often breaking them. But it is not always possible to purchase rocking chairs - they are not cheap. In this case, you can make a thing with your own hands.
1 Types of rocking chairs
1.1 Variety of construction
- 1.1.1 Variants of rocking chairs, depending on the structure - photo gallery
- 1.1.2 Glider - the perfect chair for new mothers - video
1.2 Variety of materials
1.2.1 Types of materials for the manufacture of rocking chairs - gallery
1.3.1 "Street" seat options - gallery
2 How to make a rocking chair with your own hands
- 2.1 Types of hand-made chairs from various materials - gallery
2.2 We turn the most ordinary chair into a rocking chair
2.2.1 How to make runners from solid wood - video
2.3 Instructions for making a vanka-vstanka
- 2.3.1 Preparing tools and materials
- 2.3.2 Draw a diagram
- 2.3.3 We make parts
- 2.3.4 Assembling the dental chair
- 2.3.5 Video on making a rocking chair from plywood
- 2.3.6 Making a rocking sofa
- 2.4 Photo of the manufacture of the chair on the radius arcs
2.5 Making a chair out of wood
2.5.1 How to make a rocking chair made of wood for a child - video
2.6 We use the pendulum mechanism in the manufacture of a glider
2.6.1 How to make a metal pendulum chair - video
- 2.7 Making a wicker chair from a vine
- 2.8 We use plastic pipes to simulate the noise of the sea - video
2.9 We make a chair out of metal "under a wicker"
2.9.1 A simple metal chair for a summer cottage - video
Types of rocking chairs
There are a great many varieties of rocking chairs. They differ in design, field of application, material of manufacture and upholstery, design.
Variety of construction
Rocking chairs by type of structure can be divided into the following types.
- On simple radius runners - skis, rocker arms, arcs. Such chairs appeared first and are still used today. They are easy to manufacture, but have a disadvantage - the risk of overturning with strong rocking. In this regard, they are made with a low fit for a greater excess of the center of the generating circle over the center of gravity. There are also varieties with a closing horizontal arc. This model requires the construction of individual drawings, taking into account the height and weight of the person for whom it is intended.
- On skids of variable curvature. They have no risk of overturning. Due to their length, when leaning back, they prevent the chair from falling, and when leaning forward, they simply push the person out of the seat. When making this model, it is better to use a ready-made drawing, since the process of building it is quite complicated.
- On elliptical runners. Swing very gently. They are often equipped with rear bumpers, front footrests or springs. At home, a model on springs cannot be made; this requires special types of wood or a rubberized metal strip.
- Glider is a sliding rocking chair. Unlike previous designs, its base remains motionless. It swings due to the installed pendulum mechanism. This piece of furniture is a difficult option for a novice master.
- Vanka-vstanka - a garden tumbler chair. Does not lose stability in any position. This is due to the fact that the seat is both runners. If you lean back strongly, the chair will move to an almost horizontal position, but it will not turn over, and with a little effort it will return to its original position. It is quite difficult to build a drawing of such a chair, but you can use a ready-made one.
Horizontal crossbars on runners prevent overturning due to strong swing
Rocking chair options depending on the structure - photo gallery
The classic rocking chair has the main drawback - the risk of overturning when rocking strongly
Elliptical arcs provide smooth swing
On skids of variable curvature, the risk of overturning is excluded
The glider chair will not leave scuff marks on the floor in your home
The rocking chair vanka-stand does not lose stability in any position, but from the side it resembles a recumbent person
Glider is the perfect chair for young mothers - video
Variety of materials
The following materials can be used in the manufacture of rocking chairs.
- Wood. Conifers, oak and larch are suitable for this. The master will need experience in woodworking, knowledge of how to connect parts.
- Plywood. The best option for a novice craftsman would be plywood. Working with it will require a minimum of skills and tools, all parts can be cut out with a jigsaw.
- Vine and rattan. It is better not to start work without skills in working with these materials. You will need skills in proper harvesting, drying and processing of vines, as well as skills in weaving. In addition, it is worth considering that rattan does not grow in Russia, its homeland is Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Metal. Products made from it are durable, strong, but heavy. To work with this material, you need special skills in welding or forging, as well as pipe bending equipment if the chair is made from pipes. As a rule, the frame is made of metal, and the seat is made of wood. Such a chair in an apartment can damage the floor, and it looks more appropriate in the country or in a country house.
- Profile pipes. Suitable for making elliptical arcs. This material, like any metal, also requires welding skills.
- Plastic pipes. Lightweight, durable, easy to work with. You only need fittings and a blowtorch. Moreover, the cost of such a product is low.
Types of materials for making rocking chairs - gallery
Plywood is suitable for making a chair by a novice craftsman
The rattan tree grows in our country, its homeland is Indonesia and the Philippines
Working with metal requires welding or forging skills
Polypropylene pipes are lightweight, durable, easy to work with
Conifers, oak and larch are the most popular materials for making rocking chairs
You will need special skills to craft vines
Depending on the place of use, rocking chairs are divided into items for home or outdoor use. If you plan to use the product outdoors (cottage, garden area), keep in mind that the material will be affected by the sun's rays, precipitation, and air temperature.
Metal is not afraid of moisture drops. It only needs to be treated with an anti-corrosion compound. Due to its heavy weight, this chair is best placed on a stone base. It will push loose earth or a wooden podium. The best option for outdoors is a metal product with a wooden seat or removable pillows.
Wooden chairs must be treated with a waterproof coating. This must be done especially carefully if the product is made of plywood. Hot drying oil is applied to the ends of the parts even before assembly, and then they are slightly flattened with a hammer so that moisture does not penetrate inside. After this procedure, the elements are covered with waterproof varnish twice.
The most successful outdoor option is plastic chairs. They do not rot, are not afraid of the sun and wind, and do not require a protective coating. Such products are durable and lightweight, they can be moved to any place if necessary.
You should not use upholstered chairs on the street; it is better to cover them with a blanket or lay removable pillows. The upholstery will get wet in the rain and deteriorate.
"Street" armchairs - gallery
An armchair made of plywood and wooden slats is the easiest option for a novice master
A plywood armchair with a roof will save you from sunburn
The rocking sofa can fit several people at once
Plastic pipes are quite an inexpensive material; even a beginner can make a rocking chair from it
How to make a rocking chair with your own hands
Hand-made things have a completely different energy than purchased ones. When making them, you can make any of your wishes come true. It is not difficult to execute a rocking chair, even a beginner can cope with this task. You need to be patient and follow the step-by-step instructions exactly.
Types of hand-made armchairs from various materials - gallery
You can cut a chair of absolutely any shape from plywood
The footrest creates a more relaxing effect
A chair covered with threads will surprise your guests
A wooden armchair with soft upholstery will help you relax after a hard day
An armchair made of natural materials is suitable for an eco-style interior
Such an original rocking chair will become a decoration of your fancy home.
Pipes can serve as the basis of the future chair
A wrought-iron rocking chair will look organic on your summer cottage
Knitted elements in home furnishings create a home atmosphere
There is always a pipe and wood on the farm. You can easily make a rocking chair from this material.
We turn the most ordinary chair into a rocking chair
The easiest way to get a rocking chair quickly and inexpensively is to make it from an old but sturdy chair or chair. You only need to make a couple of runners. The center of gravity must be shifted downward to stabilize the structure and prevent overturning. To do this, the legs need to be filed under the arcs, on which a chair or chair will be attached in the future.
How to make runners from solid wood - video
Instructions for making a vanka-vstanka
It is better to use plywood for making this chair yourself. A drawing can be built by making calculations with your own hands, or you can use a ready-made scheme.
Cooking tools and materials
Before starting work, you need to prepare materials and tools. You may need:
- electric jigsaw with saws for wood;
- disc grinder with a set of attachments of various grain sizes;
- screwdriver or drill;
- a hammer;
- plywood sheet 20-30 mm thick;
- bar 50x25 mm for cladding;
- 3 connecting bars 30x50 mm;
- self-tapping screws or confirmants;
- joiner's glue;
- antiseptic for wood;
- primer or drying oil;
- graph paper.
Now you have everything you need. Before proceeding to the next step, treat the plywood sheet with an antiseptic. While you are working on the drawing, it will dry out.
Draw a diagram
The design of the vanka-vstanka does not require taking into account the individual parameters of future users. If you wish, you can amend the finished scheme. For example, if necessary, such a chair can be made for two. Thus, we will assume that you have the drawing.
The scheme of the chair Vanka-Vstanka
We transfer it to graph paper, and then to thick paper in the full size of the parts. We cut out the patterns and draw the sidewalls. They will be made of plywood, fasteners - from bars, sheathing - from slats.
Both sidewalls must be exactly the same, there must be no bulges or irregularities on the swinging surface, the line must be smooth!
We make parts
Using an electric jigsaw, he cuts out the sidewalls from plywood, and connecting drawers from bars. The best connection of the parts of the chair is spike. If it is provided by the drawing, we make spikes and cuts under them in the sidewalls. We cut the facing strip from the strips. To keep as few cuttings as possible, when choosing a rail, observe the multiplicity of their sizes to the finished bar. If you have a balance, keep them, they will be useful to you when the product needs to be repaired.
When cutting out the sidewalls, do not rush, the lines should turn out smooth and even
We sand all the details, grind, and then remove the chamfers. We process the ends very carefully. We slightly break their fibers with a hammer so that moisture does not penetrate into them. All elements must be primed and painted, the ends - twice.
Assembling the chair
We connect the sidewalls with drawbar bars. If you have a spike connection, then we insert the spikes into the cuts under them, after having coated it with wood glue. If not, then we outline the joints on the sidewalls, make holes with an 8 mm drill, and at the ends of the bars - 5 mm. We tighten with the help of confirms - Euro screws.
Now all that remains is to attach the facing strips. In order for them to lie flat, they must first be marked. Each board should have 4 marks, that is, 2 on each side. To facilitate the work, you can make a template from the trim strip by drilling 2 holes in it, then the work will go much faster.
To prevent the strips from cracking when fastening, drill holes along the marks with a thin drill and screw them to the sidewall with self-tapping screws. The distance between the slats should be 15 mm.
Before assembling the chair, apply the markings to the attachment points of the trim strips.
Cover the product with primer and paint. The rocking chair is ready, you can enjoy it.
Video on making a rocking chair from plywood
Making a rocking sofa
Using the basics of making a vanka-vstanka chair, you can make a rocking sofa. In this case, you need three sides.
The country sofa is made by analogy with the Vanka-Vstanka chair
This light and comfortable chair is suitable for both home and summer cottages. The seat and back can be braided with leather strips, colored cord, or just stretch a durable fabric.
Photo of the manufacture of an armchair on radius arcs
First make a drawing
Prepare all the details of the future chair, outline the attachment points of the elements
Assemble the chair according to the presented diagram
Making a chair out of wood
Wood is a more complex material than plywood. There are several options for blueprints for wooden rocking chairs.
The product can be without armrests and have a back that follows the curves of the back.
A chair with a back that repeats the curves of the back can only be made by an experienced craftsman
If you do not have sufficient woodworking skills, you can make a chair, the elements of which are straight lines. The only exception will be arcs.
Simple and uncomplicated rocking chair
The procedure for making such a chair is the same as for the plywood model.
- We make a drawing and a pattern.
- We cut out the material. A board of 3000x200x40 mm will go on the runners, 3000x100x20 mm for the rest of the parts.
- We sand and grind.
- We treat with a primer and paint all the elements.
- We outline the joints of the parts, drill holes for bolts.
- We make the assembly.
- We put a soft pillow and swing.
How to make a rocking chair made of wood for a child - video
We use a pendulum mechanism in the manufacture of a glider
To make such a chair, you need to have good blueprints. Although, there are craftsmen who build them on their own, having removed the dimensions from the factory products. The pendulum mechanism is assembled on ball bearings. This applies to both metal and wood structures. The seat should not be attached to the base, but suspended from it. This allows the chair to swing horizontally.
The seat anchorage must allow the seat to swing when the base is stationary
How to make a metal pendulum chair - video
Making a wicker chair from a vine
Wickerwork is very popular. If you know how to weave from a vine, you can make such a chair at home. However, the manufacturing process is quite long and requires patience and effort.
The design of the wicker chair should be easily portable and flexible
It should be noted that the wicker chair should be comfortable and durable. Its flexibility is achieved through the vine, which is also an environmentally friendly material.
We use plastic pipes to simulate the noise of the sea - video
Making a metal armchair "under the wicker"
If you know how to forge products, then it will not be difficult for you to make a metal rocking chair. It can also be made by welding from a profile pipe, better than an elliptical section. The seat, backrest and armrests can be made of ropes, belts or strips of fabric.
To make a chair from metal, you need to have the skills of forging or welding products
A simple metal chair for a summer cottage - video
If one person was able to create some thing, then another will certainly be able to repeat it. All you need is desire and strict adherence to instructions. And it's not so important what your chair will be made of. If the soul is invested in the work, the result will bring joy.