Table of contents:
- How to heat a Russian bath and how to use a Finnish sauna and Turkish hammam
- How to properly heat the bath and how to use it: rest and health improvement
- How to use a Finnish sauna: rest and improve your health
- How to use the Turkish hamam properly: relaxation and rest
Video: How To Heat The Bath Correctly - How To Use The Sauna And Hamam, Advice On Temperature, Choosing Firewood With A Photo
How to heat a Russian bath and how to use a Finnish sauna and Turkish hammam
Do you think that visiting a bathhouse is not tricky? I took a steam bath with a broom, sweated for a certain time and the whole bath procedure is completed! In fact, bathing traditions are much more complicated than you might imagine. There are many points that must be observed, otherwise a steaming person will harm his body, and not heal it. And if you are not yet aware of these nuances, then it is not too late to learn how to steam properly. We will tell you about how to heat the bath, how to use the sauna and hamam, and share other useful tips and tricks.
1 How to properly heat the bath and how to use it: rest and health improvement
1.1 What kind of wood is better to heat the bathhouse: expert advice
1.1.1 General recommendations for using firewood for the sauna stove:
- 1.2 How to properly heat a Russian bath: the sequence of kindling the stove
- 1.3 Temperature in the bath: how the material of the stove depends on the optimal temperature and humidity in the steam room
- 1.4 How to properly care for the steam room
2 How to use the Finnish sauna: relax and improve your health
- 2.1 How to properly heat the sauna: preparing firewood for kindling the stove
- 2.2 What should be the temperature in the sauna: humidity reading
- 2.3 How to properly care for your sauna
3 How to use the Turkish hamam properly: relaxation and rest
- 3.1 Expert advice on choosing a heating system in a hammam
- 3.2 How to properly heat a hamam: expert advice
- 3.3 What temperature and humidity should be inside
- 3.4 How to care for rooms and heating equipment
How to properly heat the bath and how to use it: rest and health improvement
Before visiting the bathhouse, remember the existing restrictions, for example, you should not gorge yourself before going to the steam room or go there completely hungry (make yourself a small snack an hour before visiting it). Do not drink alcohol during this time.
- Preliminary stage. Before visiting the steam room, you should rinse yourself in the shower (just do not wet your hair), while the water temperature should not exceed 38 degrees. So you will warm up the body for further bath procedures. You do not need to use a loofah with soap, as this will wash off the lipid layer that protects your skin. To avoid heatstroke, use a hat made of natural materials (linen, wool).
- First visit to the steam room. This stage is designed to warm up your body and get used to high temperatures. At this time, the broom is taken for steaming, not for using it. Thus, you calm the nervous system and breathe in the scent of the leaves. Initial warming up should not exceed 10 minutes and assumes a temperature in the steam room of about 60 degrees, which corresponds to the lower shelf.
- The second run is longer than the first - up to 15 minutes. At this time, you can already use a broom and use it to massage. Also, on the second run, you should move to the upper shelves. Do not get up abruptly from the shelf at the end of the massage, wait a few minutes, and then slowly get up and leave the steam room.
There can be no more than 7 visits to the steam room, while the duration of the steam bath and the temperature in the steam room may rise. However, do not stay in it for more than 25 minutes
What kind of wood is better to heat the bathhouse: expert advice
Any tree burns perfectly, so it doesn't matter what kind of wood to heat the bath. You are mistaken, because each type of wood has its own characteristics, accordingly, its choice must be approached consciously.
Fruit trees - among them, choose dense species (plum, apple, cherry) that do not need to be thrown into the stove often and keep the heat well.
Prepared cherry firewood for a bath
Willow - does not give off soot, creates the necessary heat, but this wood quickly burns out.
Willow firewood for a bath
Prepare initially as much willow as is required for the entire steaming procedure, since the tree will often have to be thrown into the stove
Birch is the best option for a solid wood for a sauna, because it burns evenly, and you will not need to put it in the firebox for a long time. In addition, birch emits substances characterized by disinfecting qualities. The birch bath procedure will help you with colds. The wood gives off resins during a thermal reaction, due to which there will be an aroma in the steam room. Also, the combustion process will not harm the chimney.
Birch firewood for a bath
It is impractical to use birch for initial kindling
Oak is the “elite” among the firewood used for kindling the stove in the sauna. One load of oak wood can provide a long burning stove and create an excellent heat. Wood has healing properties that cure most chronic diseases.
Oak chocks for preparing firewood
Linden - slowly flares up, however, the heat from it is much more stable than from other tree species. Linden steam has a beneficial effect on the human body, as it has healing qualities.
Linden firewood for a bath
It is not necessary to harvest linden in large volumes, since after 2.5 years of storage, there will be practically no nutrients left in the wood
Alder - regardless of storage conditions, moisture quickly leaves this tree species, therefore, its drying time before use is much reduced. Alder is used for healing, because it has healing properties.
Alder firewood for a bath
It does not take long for the alder to warm up, so it is used to kindle a bath
Aspen - wood is not used for a bath, as it does not give almost heat and quickly burns out. However, it is the ideal type of wood for chimney cleaning.
Chopped aspen firewood for a bath
General recommendations for using firewood for the sauna stove:
- Do not use old logs, as the steam emitted from them is very heavy and has an unpleasant odor.
- Rotten wood is also not suitable, because apart from harm (excess ash and insufficient heat), they will not do any good.
- The minimum heat will be from young oak firewood.
- Wood with knots cannot burn out evenly, so some problems arise. The knots burn much slower than wood, which means that you will have to either put more firewood or get them out of the oven.
- Firewood impregnated with harmful substances also cannot be used, since they will not bring health benefits.
- For a bath, firewood growing near the house is suitable. In the forest, they collect logs from birch, spruce or pine trees, which will fill the steam room with forest aroma and heat.
How to heat a Russian bath correctly: the sequence of kindling the stove
After the firewood has been chosen for the bath, think about kindling the stove.
- First, clear the ash trap and grate from the ash residues;
- Wash the fireplace in clean water;
Find out if the blower is clogged so that carbon monoxide comes out of the stove;
Cleaning the oven in the bath
For kindling, prepare several logs and chips, which must be distributed on the grate of the firebox over the entire width;
Cleaning the stove in the bath from ash
- Put slightly crumpled sheets of newspaper or plain paper in the stove, then you need to set them on fire and cover the firebox door;
Wait about 20 minutes and add some large firewood. It depends on the type of wood and its dryness how often for the first couple of hours, you will need to throw in new logs. You throw in the next batch of firewood only after the previous batch turns into coal and splits.
Russian smoke sauna
- Throw the wood away from the firebox and closer to its door, so you will reduce the kindling time, and the flame will burn better;
With a strong pull, after a few hours, close the valve halfway;
Oven tube of a modern Russian bath
- Stir the coals from time to time with a poker;
- It is necessary to add new firewood several times. In summer, the bath is heated for about 3 hours, in winter - at least 5 hours. And do not let the water in the boiler evaporate completely;
- After thoroughly warming up the bath, it must be ventilated, and then heated again for 1.5 hours. Close the vents in the steam room and pour hot water over the stones and walls.
That's all, now you can steam!
Modern steam room in the bath
Bath temperature: how the stove material depends on the optimal temperature and humidity in the steam room
A bath can bring you a lot of pleasure and benefits for the body, but only if it has the optimum humidity and temperature. In a classic sauna, the air humidity is significantly higher, so the temperature should be lower. The optimum humidity for the steam room is up to 90%, at a temperature of about 70 degrees. It is these indicators that are most useful for the body. Ideal humidity can be obtained by sprinkling hot stones with water, and the temperature is controlled by closed and open doors.
Smoke sauna rest
It is necessary to spray water in a fan-like manner to cover as large an area of stones as possible.
The body does not tolerate high humidity, since a person receives a thorough and deep heating. To obtain a good ratio of humidity and temperature in the steam room, it is necessary to build a bath with a heat-absorbing brick heater. Even tiling a metal stove with stone will not give you the perfect effect.
Metal stove in the Russian bath
How to properly care for the steam room
Any room must be properly looked after and the bath is no exception. Start cleaning from the shelves - peel them off and sweep out any debris that remains under them. Then clean the room itself: thoroughly wash the floor and walls with cold water. So you will create a temperature drop, which will lead to the lowering of the steam, respectively, the air that is under the ceiling will be purified.
Do not use a strong water pressure, which will contribute to prolonged drying of the skin in the steam room, and if there is insufficient ventilation in the room, the likelihood of fungus and mold will increase
The next step is to wipe the benches and walls dry with a towel, place wooden flooring with an edge, and it is better to leave the door to the bath open for airing. Remember to cover the water tanks and open the damper on the pipe. To eliminate unpleasant odors, it is better to use special products that contain antibacterial substances.
How to use a Finnish sauna: rest and improve your health
- Take at least 2 hours to go to the sauna, but do not eat until that time;
- Before going to the steam room of the sauna, take a shower and then dry yourself with a towel;
- The first visit to the steam room should not last more than 10 minutes, then the time increases to 15 minutes. Also put on a chintz scarf or a special hat on your head;
- Take a lying position in the steam room for complete relaxation of the body;
- Before you leave the sauna, you need to sit for about 2 minutes;
- To stimulate the release of sweat and blood circulation, rub the body with a terry towel;
If you feel unwell, leave the sauna immediately and sit in a cool place
Finnish sauna with pool
- The steamed body must be cooled - you can stay in the fresh air or plunge into a cold pool. However, do not wipe yourself off with snow or doused with ice cold water, as this will harm your health;
- After the sauna, wrap yourself up warmly and lie down calmly. If your feet are frozen, then immerse them in warm water;
Drink a glass of herbal decoction, juice, or mineral water.
Sauna cabin for home
How to properly heat the sauna: preparing firewood for kindling the stove
A wood-fired sauna can be ready for use in an hour and a half. But for this you need to do the following:
To light the sauna stove, you need to prepare wood shavings, bark, or just take paper. Lay out the logs on top, small and light. After the firewood has flared up, you need to fill the firebox with larger firewood and open the blower a little. If the firebox has an additional blower, then open it and adjust the blowing power so that the fire is not strong, but brisk.
Finnish sauna lighting
- Wait until the wood turns into charcoal and distribute it evenly over the grates. Next, add new firewood.
- There is a ventilation grill under the ceiling, which must be closed and the door open to supply hot air to the sauna.
- The sauna is considered ready when the temperature on the thermometer reaches 75 degrees. But do not forget to keep a light and constant fire in the firebox.
For dry and sufficiently hot air in the sauna, coniferous trees are excellently suited, which in a matter of minutes will reveal their aroma and fill the steam room with phytoncides. Oak logs are also used for the steam room, which perfectly warm the sauna. To clean the stove, it is necessary to heat it with aspen or alder. When you add coal to the furnace, the room will instantly warm up. Do not use slow-growing and rare species.
What should be the temperature in the sauna: humidity reading
In a sauna, unlike a bath, the air is dry, so you will take a steam bath at high air temperatures and low humidity. The sauna can be heated even above 130 degrees, but an ordinary person is unlikely to withstand such a load on the body. For many people, the optimal and average temperature is considered to be 75-110 degrees, however, it is best to steam at 90 degrees.
Stove inside Finnish sauna
In this case, the air humidity should not exceed 15%. It is precisely these indicators of the temperature regime that are freely tolerated by the elderly and children.
Marble pool in hammam
Due to the low humidity, the human body can tolerate the maximum air temperature in the sauna up to 120 degrees. But if there is a burning sensation in the nasal cavity, dry airways or mucous membranes of the eyes, be sure to move from the upper shelf of the sauna to the lower one and open the doors for a while to reduce the temperature and release the heated air.
How to properly care for your sauna
What can ruin a sauna after using it? Fungi, high humidity, and temperature. And so that your sauna is always well-groomed, you should follow the basic rules for care:
- Impregnation. A variety of impregnating agents are used to protect the sauna cladding from fungus and decay. At the same time, the funds cannot change the color of the tree, do not affect health and are odorless. Sauna treatment must be carried out once a month.
Cleaning. After using the sauna, you need to thoroughly clean the benches, floors, walls and other wooden furniture. For this, different substances are used that are intended for the care of the sauna and clean water.
Steam room in the Finnish sauna
Wood is destroyed by traditional detergents, so if there is significant dirt on the surface of the sauna, it is better to remove them with sandpaper
- Airing and drying. After each vaping procedure, the sauna must be dried. Heat the stove so that you have enough heat to dry the sauna after washing. Next, we ventilate the room: open the door and cover or even remove the water tanks. We also open the flap on the pipe.
- The sauna is washed with a small amount of water.
How to use the Turkish hamam properly: relaxation and rest
When visiting the hammam, you need to know how to use it so that the vaping process brings maximum pleasure.
Initially visit the "sauna" (sogukluk) and sit in it for 15 minutes to steam out the body. This will open up your pores and prepare your body for the soap peel. You can stay in the preliminary room of the hamam, if desired, longer, which will not worsen your well-being.
Soghukluk in hamam
- Take a shower to wash the dirt off your skin.
The next stage is a visit to the marble hall, where you will sit on a warm lounger and relax. Take a towel with you and sit on it. Try to calm down and relax during this time. Use lather if possible.
The marble hall in the hamam
After a while, cool off under the fountain, as you will enjoy combining it with the steam room. Between treatments, go to the stone and take some rest. Also at this stage it is allowed to drink cold drinks or tea.
Swimming pool in Turkish hammam
Further, there is ablution and washing. These procedures involve lathering with foam using a special washcloth, followed by dousing with water.
Washing in a hammam with foam
A visit to the relaxation room is considered the final stage. Here you again rest and normalize your body temperature.
Relaxation room in the hamam
You can stay in the hamam from 1.5 to 2 hours without damage to your health. And since the temperature in the Turkish bath is not very high, there is no fear of overheating. Leaving the bath, sit in the "dressing room" and drink tea.
Expert advice on choosing a heating system in a hammam
Hamam, by its design, creates humidity and temperature conditions due to the fact that it warms up the interior. Warm air is supplied from heated seats, floors and even walls using a steam generator. Heating in the hamam is either electric or water.
Hamam heating system device
At the same time, the water heating system is economically profitable in terms of operation and technological characteristics.
Heating lounger in the hamam
Electricity-based heating is done like a "warm floor", that is, heating elements are installed under all surfaces. In this case, the temperature is controlled by a temperature sensor.
How to properly heat a hamam: expert advice
To use the hamam as efficiently as possible, you need to know how to properly heat it. The temperature in it must be at least 29 degrees. The Turkish bath has separate heating of all parts of the room (walls, floor and sun loungers), therefore, 6 hours before taking the hamam, a temperature of 50 degrees is set, which heats all surfaces. A few hours before visiting the bath, the steam generator turns on. It should not be disconnected from the mains, because after completing the procedure, it should flush the hamam automatically.
Hammam steam room from tiles
Do not turn off the tap, which gives the water supply, since it is also drained into the sewer automatically. To control the actual temperature in the hamam, a control panel is installed near the entrance. There are several buttons on it - one for lighting, the other for temperature. A block sensor must be installed inside the hamam, which should not be poured with water or covered with a towel, especially when wet. Also keep the exhaust valve on the ceiling open, as it will make the steam room safe and as efficient as possible.
What temperature and humidity should be inside
The hamam has more than one room, so it is difficult to visit one sink or steam room. Each room has a different temperature! Initially, you will find yourself in the locker room, where it is warm and not hot - the temperature reaches no more than 30 degrees. Then there is a smooth transition to the main hall - Sogolyuk, which is already heating up to 50 degrees. It contains marble loungers and offers various health and massage treatments.
Relaxation room in the hamam
Also, the main hall is built in the form of a "sun with rays", from which about five steam rooms with various temperatures reaching 70 degrees depart. Each steam room has its own specific temperature, and this is done so that you can choose the most optimal steam mode. There is only one steam room in private hammams. The humidity here is almost 100%, but the low temperature is easily tolerated.
How to take care of rooms and heating equipment
The bath procedures in the hammam are over, which means it's time to do wet cleaning. Inside the room, the seats and the floor are cleaned with a soapy solution, which should be weak in concentration. Stubborn stains or stubborn dirt can be removed with alcohol or gasoline.
Hamam in white and blue colors
Do not clean the hamam with solvents, scouring powders or other cleaners that contain an alkali. It is very important to wash the floor thoroughly, especially in the corners of the steam room. Use special agents for removing grease and dirt, as well as hot water for this process.
Lovely Turkish Hamam
Complex technical devices are maintained in working order - they are inspected and the steam generator is cleaned every 6 months. All precautions are very important for the long and efficient operation of the hamam.
It doesn't matter what kind of bathing procedures you prefer: hamam, Russian bath or sauna. The main thing is to know the main differences between them, and what are the rules for visiting the bath. Only in this case you will get the maximum pleasure from the bath and heal your body, while not harming it.
Popular by topic
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices
How to properly grow cucumbers in the winter on the windowsill. Selection of varieties, germination of seeds, planting seedlings, soil preparation
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to use ash correctly as fertilizer for the garden and vegetable garden. Ash types, its effect on different types of soil