Table of contents:
- How to make a garden bench
- How to position the bench correctly
- Bench materials: use forging and stone
- Wooden benches
- We make ourselves an original rocking chair for the garden
- Simple benches
- Video about making a bench for a garden
Video: DIY Garden Benches + Video
How to make a garden bench
Summer - the main time for construction work - has already ended. But September pleases us with the last warm days. So why not spend them profitably, and do a few more little things that will help make your garden and courtyard even more comfortable for the next season?
For example, you can equip your plot with several garden benches. They will not only provide a good rest, but also decorate the garden, give it a certain style.
Of course, now you can buy a ready-made bench in the store. The choice is very large, both in terms of models and the material used. But isn't it a pleasure to do something else with your own hands for your favorite garden? Then work is a pleasure, and rest is more pleasant.
- 1 How to properly position the bench
- 2 Materials for the bench: we use forging and stone
- 3 Wooden benches
- 4 We make ourselves an original rocking chair in the garden
- 5 Simple benches
- 6 Video about making a bench for the garden
How to position the bench correctly
In order for the garden bench to fulfill its purpose well, it is very important to position it correctly. First, decide what exactly this shop will be designed for. There are usually three purposes.
- A shop for privacy. As the name suggests, it is designed to hide from prying eyes, sit alone or in a pair with a loved one. It is better to place such a bench in a garden behind a hedge, under a spreading tree, by a reservoir.
- Rest benches in the company. They can be placed either on the veranda of the house or in the gazebo. Since it is supposed to rest with friends, then a table will need to be made for such benches.
- Rest benches after household chores. Such a shop will come in handy at any time, because, living in a private house, we are almost constantly doing some kind of work, after which our arms, legs and back hurt. This bench will look good near the path, overlooking the vegetable garden or garden.
And, of course, it should be noted that the bench should be located in the most picturesque part of the garden, so that the view that opens from it calms, pacifies and gives pleasure. The more flowers, shrubs, trees and decorative elements you have, the more pleasant it will be to spend time on the bench, both alone and with friends.
In addition, you should consider the time of year. For example, in summer it is better to choose a place in the shade to hide from the hot sun rays, and in autumn, choose an open place where you can enjoy the last warm days. Basically, the placement of a garden bench depends on your own tastes and preferences.
Bench materials: use forging and stone
Modern landscape design offers a lot of building materials for the manufacture of garden furniture, including benches. If you dream well, then any available means, even plastic bottles and cardboard boxes, are suitable for this! But the most common, traditional materials are wood, iron and stone. Benches from these materials have been built since ancient times, and to this day they are considered a classic, reliable and win-win option.
Forged furniture is an elegant design addition to the garden area. In addition, it is very strong and durable, and looks elegant due to the openwork forging. But in order for such a bench not to look too heavy, it is better to use forging together with wood. For example, legs and handrails-bases, as well as connecting parts of the body, you can order from a blacksmith, and use wooden slats for the seat and backrest, which you can easily install and grind yourself.
You can install a wrought-iron bench under the arch, along which flowering plants will curl. A distinctive feature is that such a bench can have many design options, and you can get a real exclusive for your summer cottage.
Stone benches give the design of the site the spirit of antiquity, ancient times or the Middle Ages. You can fold them yourself or order stone slabs from the workshop. The surface can serve as the basis for real works of art: decorate it with a mosaic pattern, decorate it using decoupage technique or imitate the drawings of cave dwellers.
A stone bench is suitable only for the hot season, but if you add pillows, a warm blanket and a place for a fire, it will be cozy even on an autumn evening
If, after construction work, there are wood scraps left at your summer cottage, this is an excellent reason to put them into business to create a shop. These can be logs from felled trees, or boards.
- Log benches not only look funny and cozy, but also quite simple to make. Cut out two logs and secure them where the bench will be. The distance between them is equal to the length of the bench, and the length is slightly wider than the base for the bench. In the installed blocks, cut grooves equal to the circumference of the log used as a seat. Such a log should first be cut lengthwise. Now insert the log into the grooves, and fasten 2 slats from the back sides of the logs. Nail the back to them - the second half of the sawn log. When finished, sand the necessary parts and cover the bench with varnish. This will give an aesthetic appearance and significantly extend the service life.
- Additional elements will make the shop even more comfortable and attractive. For example, you can organize a flower garden. For this you will need wooden crates. This box can be attached to the back of the bench. And you can make it even easier: set the boxes opposite each other, at a distance of the length of the seat. Fasten the boards on the boxes, and fill in the ground in which you can plant flowers or sow lawn grass.
- If you have an old tree with a thick trunk in your garden, you can make a circular bench using small slats. Children will really like this option.
- Another option for a wooden bench is decorating with forged trellises on which plants will curl. Such a bench can be made in any shape, stationary or portable. The most important thing is to properly fix the grill between the boards on the back or handrails of the bench. The use of flowers is not even necessary: a lattice with a beautiful, original pattern will itself be a decoration.
The main advantage of wooden garden benches is the simplicity of their construction. You need to equip yourself with the necessary tools and have a little skill, and you can easily make excellent, original garden furniture with your own hands.
We make ourselves an original rocking chair for the garden
So, we have already understood that a comfortable bench is the most important attribute for relaxing in the garden, and it must also be beautiful. How about an original rocking chair that can always be installed wherever you want?
Do you think it's expensive? Not at all if you start working on it yourself. Yes, this will take you a lot of time, but such a rocking chair will give you a lot of pleasure. In addition, after it gets colder and you can no longer spend time on the site, you can easily place such a rocking chair indoors.
To get started, prepare the necessary tools and materials:
- Grinding machine and attachments to it;
- Electric jigsaw;
- Coarse sandpaper;
- Wood saws;
- Drills for wood;
- Screwdriver bits;
- Roulette and ruler;
- Europlywood for sidewalls 30 mm thick;
- Self-tapping screws for wood 4 * 45;
- Confirmates 5 * 120.
Now let's take a closer look at the drawing. Transfer the sides along the pattern and cut them out with a jigsaw, process the ends with a grinder and, if necessary, sand them. Make markings to secure the connecting strips. In order to make it easier to make holes for them, drill the sidewalls, laying on top of each other.
The frame is pulled together with confirmations or assembled with screws. Mark the location of the rails and attach them to the frame with self-tapping screws. Use spacers to get the correct spacing between the slats.
Well, and the final touch: putty the screws, after drying, remove the rest of the putty and open the product with enamel or varnish
That's it, your garden rocking chair is ready!
Well, what about without simple benches, unpretentious, easy to assemble and used not only in the garden, but also in the house, garage, bathhouse? There should be several such benches on your site. They can come in handy at any time, especially if you often have guests on summer days.
Here are some tips for making such benches, using the example of a bench with dimensions:
- Length 72 cm;
- Width 14 cm;
- Height 18 cm.
First of all, arm yourself with the right materials and tools. You will need:
- 2 x 4 8 'Wood Block x 4
- 1 × 4, 8 feet long - 2 pcs
- 1 × 2, 8 feet long - 1 pc
- self-tapping screws 2 1/2 "
- self-tapping screws 2 "
- wood glue
- finishing tools
- sandpaper 120
- a circular saw
- center drill.
Now prepare the components of the shop:
- Legs 2 × 4 and 16 1/2 "- 2 pcs.
- Spacers 1 × 4 and 2 1/4”- 2 pcs
- Frame edges 1 × 4 and 6 "- 2 pcs.
- Spacers 2 × 4 and 12 "- 2 2 pcs.
- Frame sides 1 × 4 and 61 "- 2 pcs.
- Internal partitions of a frame 1 × 4 and 9 1/2 "- 2 pieces
- Supports 1 × 2 and 9 1/2 "- 5 pcs.
- Bench seating boards 2 × 4 and 65 "- 4 pieces
- Edge boards 1 × 4 and 14 "- 2 pcs.
These benches are well suited to the kitchen table and gazebo.
- Make notches in the legs and secure them in pairs of 2 with glue or 2 1/2”screws. Fix the spacers on the inner surfaces of the legs, using the same glue and 2”screws. Attach the end plates to the spacers. Spacers are attached in the same way.
- Now frame the bench. Supports 1 X 2 must be kept flush with the top. The easiest way is to turn the structure over, and keep the supports flush with the bottom.
- Screw the bench legs to the frame with glue using 2 1/2”self-tapping screws.
- Determine the middle of the legs and attach the seating boards from below, while minimizing gaps. Then screw on the edge boards.
- Now start finishing. When painting the bench, do not allow the glue to dry, otherwise the paint will not stick to these places.
This way, you can make some simple yet sturdy benches that will always come in handy on your site.
Video about making a bench for a garden
Now you can be sure that by the next summer season your garden area will be equipped with a place to relax. In your comments, please leave your questions and suggestions. We will be happy to answer you, and in the following articles on similar topics we will cover in detail what interests you. Good luck!
Popular by topic
Installing a warm electric floor with your own hands. Practical advice on choosing the type of underfloor heating, recommendations for the installation of cable and film floors
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
A description of the symptoms and causative agents of cabbage diseases. methods of control and prevention
Types of organic fertilizers, practical recommendations for the production and use of compost and other fertilizers
Tips for preparing hot drinks. necessary products, the sequence of preparation of mulled wine, chocolate, coffee and tea with the addition of spices