Table of contents:
- Cooking beets in the microwave: 3 quick ways
- Principles and rules of product processing
- Step by step instructions
- Video: how to quickly boil beets
- Culinary reviews
Cooking beets in the microwave: 3 quick ways
Correct cooking of beets in the microwave will preserve all the nutrients and vitamins. Moreover, this method of cooking will be simpler and faster than when we cook or bake a vegetable in the oven. If you want to make a vinaigrette or any other salad and you need to cook or bake beets faster - use the microwave and our recommendations.
1 Principles and rules of product processing
1.1 Photo gallery: "packages" and utensils in which you can cook vegetables in the microwave
2 Step by step instructions
- 2.1 How to bake whole beets without water - an alternative to the oven and foil
- 2.2 How to steamed beets for vinaigrette or other salad
- 2.3 How to boil
- 3 Video: how to quickly cook beets
- 4 Reviews of cooks
Principles and rules of product processing
There is good news for gourmets who love vegetable dishes. In a microwave oven, beets will cook much faster than you used to do - on the stove, a whole medium-sized vegetable will cook for 50-60 minutes, and in the oven it will bake for about 1.5 hours. Optimal for a microwave oven is the average size of beets (100-150 g) with a dark burgundy color and thin skin. It will take no more than 15 minutes to cook or bake it.
Cooking beets in the microwave
There are two options for cooking beets in the microwave - with or without water (similar to baking in the oven). In this case, a certain closing container is necessarily used, in which the vegetable is placed. This could be:
- glassware with a glass lid;
- microwave container with a valve for steam removal;
- a special plastic container-steamer, into the lower compartment of which a little water is poured;
- sleeve for baking;
- a package-steamer for microwave ovens.
Photo gallery: "bags" and dishes in which you can cook vegetables in the microwave
A microwave steamer allows you to cook not only quickly, but also preserving vitamins as much as possible
When buying a roasting sleeve, make sure it is microwave-safe
Glass containers are considered a safety classic for microwave ovens.
A microwave steamer package saves time on washing dishes
If you do not have special bags and sleeves, and you are afraid to use a regular bag, you can use glass or ceramic dishes and a plastic microwave lid with a special hole for steam outlet.
The cooking technique includes a number of nuances and recommendations:
- Beets must first be washed well. You can leave it peeled, or peel and cut it into several pieces - it all depends on your preference.
- Many chefs advise to pierce the whole vegetable with a knitting needle several times or chop it with a fork: it is believed that this will bake it faster and more evenly.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of the beets. At a power of 700 W, large beets are cooked for about 15 minutes, medium - 10 minutes, and small - 5-7 minutes.
- Cooking large beets must be monitored. It is best to do this: cook it for 5 minutes and after this time, pierce it with a knife. If the vegetable is hard inside, that is, raw, put it on for the same time.
- Many models of microwave ovens have special programs for cooking vegetables, you should use them after reading the procedure in the instructions for the device. And if your oven does not have such a program, then it is recommended to cook beets at maximum power (this is 700 or 800 W).
Step by step instructions
We will describe how to cook beets without water, with a little water and completely in water. For all three methods, any of the containers listed above is suitable, except that we will completely fill the vegetable with water, of course, we will not be in bags.
How to bake whole beets without water - an alternative to the oven and foil
1. We wash the beets of sizes, you can trim the tail a little. We put it in a dish with a lid, a baking sleeve or a steam bag.
For cooking without water, it is best to use a steam bag or a roasting sleeve
2. Next, you need to tightly tie the bag in the manner provided for in the instructions for it (or close the container, leaving the valve open for removing steam). The approximate cooking time at 700 W is 15–20 minutes.
Medium beets cook in the microwave for 15 to 20 minutes
3. Take the beets out of the oven, carefully so as not to burn themselves with the hot steam, remove and cool.
Chopped beets baked in the microwave without water, as a rule, are obtained with a dryish crust
How to steam beets for vinaigrette or other salad
The second option practically does not differ from the first. It is perfect if you only have large beets or, according to the recipe, you need to cut them:
Beets must be thoroughly rinsed, peeled from the tail and peel.
Wash and peel the beets
We cut the vegetable into several pieces, not very large, about 50 g each.
We cut the beets
- We put the pieces in a bag or dish with a lid.
- Pour a little water inside the container taken - no more than 100 ml, so that steam is formed during cooking.
- It is necessary to pierce the bag or sleeve from above in two or three places. Or leave the steam vent valve open. We simply cover the glass container with a lid from it.
- We set the maximum power and cook the vegetable for 7-10 minutes, depending on the size of your pieces.
- After the time has elapsed, we take out the beets and wait until it cools down.
How to boil
Another option for cooking beets in the microwave will take longer than the previous ones. At the same time, the beets are the most juicy and the taste is no different from those cooked on the stove. A deep, heat-resistant dish is required, preferably a glass bowl.
In the microwave, you can simply cook beets, like on a stove, with the difference that it takes much less time
- Wash medium-sized beets and put them in prepared dishes.
- Fill with water (200 ml), cover with a lid. Leave the steam outlet valve open.
- We put in the microwave for 10 minutes.
- After this time, we remove the dishes, turn the beets in water on the other side, put them again for 10 minutes.
- We take out, cool, clean and use as directed.
Video: how to quickly boil beets
Cooking beets in the microwave will take a minimum of time and effort, you can even cut them into cubes beforehand. The vegetable turns out to have a mild baked taste, it can be eaten either on its own, simply seasoned with oil and salt, or used to prepare a variety of salads and soups.