Table of contents:
- How to adjust and repair a plastic balcony door with your own hands
- Is it possible to independently adjust the plastic balcony door
- What problems can you fix yourself
- Repair of a plastic balcony door
Video: How To Independently Adjust A Plastic Balcony Door, Including If It Does Not Close Well Or Sags
How to adjust and repair a plastic balcony door with your own hands
If you installed high-quality plastic doors on the balcony and did it correctly, then they will serve reliably for many years. The only problem that can be encountered during their operation is a possible imbalance in the operation of mechanisms. Everything is fixed by adjusting the fittings, such work can be done by hand.
1 Is it possible to independently adjust the plastic balcony door
1.1 Required tool
2 What problems can you adjust yourself
- 2.1 The balcony plastic door does not close properly
- 2.2 The balcony plastic door sank
- 2.3 How to adjust the pressing density of the balcony door
- 2.4 Adjusting the balcony door hinges
2.5 Insulating glass adjustment
2.5.1 Video: adjusting a plastic balcony door
3 Repair of a plastic balcony door
3.1 How to properly dismantle
3.1.1 Removing the glass unit
- 3.2 Replacing the balcony door
3.3 Insulation of the balcony door
3.3.1 Video: disassembly and assembly of a plastic balcony door
Is it possible to independently adjust the plastic balcony door
Over time, any plastic door begins to sag, due to which its tight fit is not ensured, heat and sound insulation characteristics deteriorate. This is due to the fact that the canvas is heavy and often used. Usually, adjusting the position of the door horizontally, vertically and pressing it can be done independently.
Even the highest quality balcony door over time requires adjustment of the hardware
In order for the service life without adjusting the structure to be as long as possible, it is recommended to control the installation process, while paying attention to the following indicators:
- tightness of the leaf to the door frame along its entire perimeter;
- no displacement of the structure vertically and horizontally;
- independent opening and closing of the door - it should be absent;
- the need to apply forces during operation - the blade should move easily.
Do not wait until the balcony door stops opening or closing. When the first malfunctions are detected, the necessary adjustments must be made immediately in order to prevent more serious damage to the web, box or locking mechanisms.
A sheet of paper can be used to determine where the displacement has occurred: it is placed on the frame and the canvas is closed, after which it is started to move. It will be difficult to do this in the place of skew. The tightness of the door is determined using a regular pencil or marker. A line is drawn along the sash, after which the doors are closed. If after opening the line is displaced, it means that there is not enough clearance in this place and adjustment must be made.
To adjust the plastic door, you will need the following set of tools:
- hex wrench, it can be 3, 4, 5 mm in diameter, the size depends on the fittings installed;
- metalwork hammer;
- screwdrivers, both flat and cross-shaped;
a set of special plastic gaskets.
To adjust the plastic balcony door, it is enough to have a screwdriver, a hex wrench and pliers
What problems can you fix yourself
Any home craftsman can fix the following malfunctions of a metal-plastic door with his own hands:
- sagging of the canvas - this will be indicated by its grazing over the threshold, such a malfunction is associated with the large weight of the door, which is why it shifts in the vertical direction;
- the gap between the door frame and the leaf, which indicates a violation of the quality of the clamping of the door leaf;
- grazing on the side of the door frame, this is due to the displacement of the canvas in the horizontal direction, which is caused by the peculiarities of operation or weather conditions;
- disruption of the handle, its attachment is weakened, which makes the mechanism stop working correctly;
- tight closing of the door - this is caused by diagonal displacement, malfunction of the locking mechanism or strong pressing of the sash against the frame.
The balcony plastic door does not close properly
If the plastic balcony door begins to close poorly, then the reason may be incorrect operation of the handle. During the operation of the door, this part constantly turns, which leads to the weakening of its fastening and deterioration of its performance. In order to restore functionality, you must perform the following steps:
- First rotate the decorative trim located at the base of the handle 90 degrees.
Use a flat or Phillips screwdriver to tighten the fastening screws.
After the cover is turned to the side, tighten the fastening screws well
- After that, return the cover to its place.
If such an adjustment does not bring the expected result, then, most likely, the body is damaged, so a replacement handle is needed.
The balcony plastic door sank
If you find that while closing the balcony door it touches the threshold, then this means that the canvas has sagged and needs to be adjusted. This is not difficult to do, just follow these steps:
- Open the door.
- Remove the protective cap from the hinge, use a wrench to make several turns of the screw clockwise.
Do the same with the other loop.
If the door sags, then the hinges are adjusted in the vertical direction
- Check the position of the blade. If everything is fine, then put on the caps, and if not, then perform a few more turns of the screw until the door takes the required position.
How to adjust the pressure density of the balcony door
It is possible to detect a violation of the clamping of the door leaf to the frame when inspecting the seal, the deformation of the material indicates the problem.
There are several ways to adjust the adjustment, everything will depend on the design of the hardware used:
If there is a trunnion, the repair consists in turning it with pliers. If the pressure is strong, then the regulator must be placed perpendicular to the profile, and if it is weak, then parallel.
To weaken the sash pressure, the regulator is installed perpendicular to the door profile, and to improve it - parallel
- In the presence of a striker, adjustment of the door leaf pressure in the turn of the screw located in the profile.
Balcony door hinge adjustment
With the help of hinges on which the plastic balcony door is attached, it is possible to adjust the curtain both horizontally and vertically.
Horizontal adjustment is performed in the following sequence:
- The door is opened, after which the screws are unscrewed using a hex key, and then the decorative strip is removed.
The long screw at the top is tightened a little more than at the bottom. This is necessary in order to avoid bias.
Adjusting screws can be used to move the door leaf by 2-3 mm
- To evenly shift the blade in the required direction, the overlay is removed from the lower loop, then it is slightly tightened, and then all horizontal screws are loosened.
- After adjusting the door, all screws are tightened well, and then the linings are put in place.
Vertical adjustment of the hinges allows you to move the door leaf down or up.
Glass unit adjustment
One of the ways to troubleshoot is to adjust the glass unit. This option is used in the case when it was not possible to achieve the expected result by other methods. It is more complicated, but in this case you can cope without the help of specialists:
- First, the glazing beads are removed.
- The glass unit is shifted closer to the sash on which the hinges are located. This is done with a special spatula.
Plastic gaskets of the required thickness are inserted into the resulting gap.
Special plastic spacers are used to move the glass unit
- Hold the glass unit with your hand and check whether the detected malfunction has been eliminated.
- After that, the glazing beads are installed in place.
Video: adjusting a plastic balcony door
Repair of a plastic balcony door
Before you start repairing a balcony door, you need to decide on the type of malfunction. There are a number of problems that are difficult to solve on your own, so you will have to call the wizard. Serious breakdowns of a plastic door include:
- cracks in the glass unit, frame;
- violation of welded seams;
- destruction of fittings;
- pulling out the loop.
All other repair work can be done independently.
How to properly dismantle
If it becomes necessary to dismantle a plastic door, you must prepare a screwdriver and pliers. The sequence of work is as follows:
- The door is closed, but the handle is not closed.
- Protective caps are removed from the hinges.
On the upper loop with a screwdriver, press on the pin protruding from it, and then pick it up from below with pliers and gently pull it out.
The pin located in the upper loop is first pressed with a screwdriver and then pulled out with pliers
- The door leaf is tilted towards itself, for this it is enough to pull it by the handle.
- Raise the door a little and remove it from the lower support.
- They remove the canvas and carry it to the side.
Removing the glass unit
If you need to remove the glass unit, then it is more convenient to do this after you have dismantled the canvas. But another option is also possible, when the door will remain in place. To do this, you will need a special spatula, but if it is not there, then you can use a spatula or knife, rubber suction cups. It is recommended to work with gloves.
Sequence of work:
Use a spatula or spatula to pry the vertical glazing bead. This is done along its entire length, after which it is shifted to the side and removed.
The staples must be carefully pry off evenly along the entire length so that they do not break
- All other glazing beads are removed in the same way: first the lower one, then the second vertical one and the last one to remove the upper one.
- They hold the double-glazed window so that it does not fall out, pry it from above with a finger and carefully lower it onto itself, and then carry it to the side.
Replacing the balcony door
If it is necessary to replace the balcony door, then all work after dismantling will be carried out in the reverse order:
- The door leaf is inserted into the opening so that it can be put on the lower hinge. In this case, it is important that there is no bias.
- The bottom hinge is slid over the support pin.
- The canvas is pressed against the frame, while the handle must not be closed, otherwise the door may move.
Axial cylinders are installed on all hinges, after which you need to press the pin from below until a characteristic click appears. If done correctly, it will protrude 4–5 mm above the hinge.
The door leaf is first put on the lower hinge, and only then on the upper
- The hinges are adjusted to position the door in the vertical and horizontal directions.
- Decorative caps are put on.
Insulation of a balcony door
If you purchased a high-quality plastic balcony door and installed it correctly, then it does not need additional insulation. When choosing a design, it is recommended to give preference to a triple glass unit. In addition, pay attention to the profile from which the door is made. The five-chamber version is optimal.
Such a question as the insulation of plastic doors is associated with the elimination of secondary causes of the cold entering the apartment:
- poor sealing between the doorway and the frame;
- lack of insulation of slopes and threshold;
- violation of the position of the door leaf.
First you need to determine the reason for the penetration of cold air. To check the condition of the slopes, you can use a candle, which will indicate the problem area. In the same way, check the threshold and the door leaf along its entire perimeter.
To insulate the slopes, you can use plastic, drywall or foam. If the first two materials are used, then the crate is made first. It can be made from metal profiles or wooden bars. After that, a layer of mineral wool is laid and everything is sewn up with plastic or drywall. Additionally, a putty finish may be required.
For finishing the slopes, plastic, drywall or foam can be used, but the last two options will still have to be putty and painted
Can also be insulated with foam. To do this, cut out pieces of the required size and use special glue to mount them on the slopes. Styrofoam will also have to be putty and painted.
The threshold can be insulated with expanded polystyrene, which is mounted with dowels, and then finished with ceramic tiles. You can also use special plastic products that are sold with the door, but often do-it-yourselfers lay a regular window sill.
To insulate the threshold, polystyrene foam sheets are used, which are then covered with tiles or plastic overlays
Video: disassembly and assembly of a plastic balcony door
Adjusting a plastic balcony door is not a difficult task, so you can cope with it on your own. To do everything correctly, you first need to determine the cause of the malfunction of the structure, and then study the sequence and technology for its elimination. It is enough to spend a little time once to figure out how to do everything correctly, and then you can make the adjustment yourself.
Popular by topic
How To Clean A Gas Stove (grate, Burners, Pens, Etc.) With Folk Remedies (soda, Ammonia) And Not Only
Practical advice on cleaning a gas stove from grease and dirt. Folk remedies for cleaning surfaces, handles, burners and oven
How To Pinch Tomatoes Correctly In A Greenhouse And Open Ground (video, Photo, Diagram), Which Varieties Do Not Require Pinning
Practical advice for pinching tomatoes of different varieties. Pinion schemes for the formation of a bush in one, two and three stems
Tips for cleaning plastic windows. Tools and tools used, most common methods
Step-by-step recipes for preparing various options for strawberry compote for the winter. Required products, preparation, tips and tricks
Rhubarb Puff Pastry Pie Recipes Step by Step Preparation. Essential products, secrets and cooking features