Table of contents:
- Effective ways to get rid of the unpleasant smell of fish in the apartment, on the skin and various surfaces
- Why does fish smell so bad
- How to get rid of fish smell
- Useful Tips
Video: How To Get Rid Of The Smell Of Fish In An Apartment, On Various Surfaces, As Well As On Hands
Effective ways to get rid of the unpleasant smell of fish in the apartment, on the skin and various surfaces
Some products, despite their deliciousness, usefulness and nutritional value, have one big drawback - an unpleasant smell. If we make a rating of the most repulsive amber, then fish have all the chances to compete for first place. Indeed, this smell cannot be confused with anything, especially since it lasts longer than some of the most persistent perfumes. And, nevertheless, there are quite a few proven ways to get rid of the fish spirit in the house, on various surfaces and hands.
1 Why does fish smell so bad
1.1 Smell and type of fish
2 How to get rid of the fish smell
2.1 From the apartment
- 2.1.1 Coffee
- 2.1.2 Citrus
2.2 How to remove fish smell from hands
- 2.2.1 Lemon
- 2.2.2 Mustard and Lemon
- 2.2.3 Vinegar
- 2.2.4 Citrus essential oil
- 2.2.5 Beer
- 2.2.6 Sunflower oil
- 2.3 From dishes
2.4 From clothes
- 2.4.1 Vinegar
- 2.4.2 Laundry soap
- 2.4.3 Boiling
3 Helpful Tips
3.1 Video. Mustard powder against fish odor
- 4 Prevention
Why does fish smell so bad
If you have ever fished, you probably noticed that a freshly caught fish does not smell of anything, except, perhaps, a slight aroma of the reservoir from which it was taken. But the characteristic amber appears later, when decomposition processes begin to intensify in the carcass. No, this does not mean that the "smell" is evidence of staleness. It's just that the peculiarity of the tissues of the organism of the inhabitant of reservoirs is such that the smell appears almost instantly.
- Proteins in fish differ significantly from proteins in other representatives of the fauna. And the main disagreement is that fish amino acids are much more susceptible to degradation. This means that the decay products - ammonia and sulfur - will be formed within a couple of hours after the fish is caught. In addition, those bacteria that inhabit the body of the fish and contribute to the decomposition of proteins are not afraid of the cold, since cool or cold water is familiar to the inhabitant of the deep sea. By the way, due to such resistance of bacteria to cold, it is recommended to store fish at significantly lower temperatures than other types of meat.
- Most fish are predators. They feed on their smaller brothers. They need a special enzyme or enzyme to digest. Most likely, some of the enzymes remain on the body of the fish after it has been caught. This means that the fermets will begin to digest the fish from the outside, thus causing an unpleasant odor.
- Oxidation of beneficial and important for humans fatty acids contained in fish also provokes an unpleasant odor.
Fatty acids useful for human health, when oxidized, provoke an unpleasant odor
Smell and type of fish
If you understand the intricacies of the repulsive fish amber, then it must be said that not all types of fish smell the same. Lake and river fish smell differently from sea and ocean fish.
Before defrosting, frozen fish practically does not smell at all. But if you set out to fry a fish, then not only those who live in the same house with you will know about your venture (and it does not matter at all whether you have a hood or not), but also neighbors.
But if the fish is rotten, then it is quite a disaster - a disgusting smell seems to permeate everything around.
How to get rid of fish smell
Due to its chemical composition, the smell of waterfowl eats hard into the surfaces it hits. So the sooner you start removing amber, the better your chances of success.
From the apartment
In the process of cooking fish, it seems that even the walls are saturated with a fishy aroma. But you can get rid of it with proven methods.
Many housewives do not like to cook fish because of the unpleasant smell that spreads throughout the house.
It is impossible to surpass the aroma of the grains. Roast a few coffee beans in a skillet and the fishy spirit capitulates instantly.
These fruits are excellent at absorbing unpleasant amber. The zest or rind should be heated in a pan or simply placed near a heat source. You can also put a container of water (2 l) on the stove with 1 tbsp of water while cooking fish. l. vinegar or 1 tbsp. l. lemon juice.
How to get fish smell out of your hands
After processing the fish, it seems that your hands have been catching and gutting waterfowl all your life - so much the skin is saturated with smell. But there are a couple of proven and effective ways to "cover the traces" of contact with fish.
Fish is very often served with lemon or lime. Save a couple of citrus slices for yourself. Rubbing your skin with them, you will forget about the fishy spirit. Only you need to process not only palms, but also fingers, between fingers, nails. This is the most common way to neutralize aroma.
Citrus essential oils neutralize strong odors, including fish
Mustard and lemon
You can strengthen and accelerate the effect of lemon with dry mustard. Before processing with zest, wipe hands with mustard powder. If there is no dry mustard, you can dilute it with plain warm water and wash your hands with it.
Practically equivalent in efficiency to the previous method.
- Mix 1 tbsp. vinegar and 2 liters of water
- We rinse our hands.
If the smell cannot be defeated, we keep our hands in a vinegar solution for 4–5 minutes.
Citrus essential oil
Orange, lemon are the antagonists of the fish spirit. So essential oils can help in getting rid of the repulsive scent.
- Mix 3-4 drops of oil and 1 tbsp. cool water.
- We wash our hands with soap and dry.
- Wipe with the prepared rinse aid.
Just a few drops of essential oil will kill the corrosive smell of fish
Foam drinkers with fish know that there is no better way to remove the smell from the skin than rubbing their hands with beer. After processing, not only will your hands smell like bread, but the skin will become velvety and soft.
Also an effective odor removal technique. You need to thoroughly rub your skin and wash your hands to get rid of grease.
Two items of kitchen utensils "suffer" from the fish spirit more than others. We are talking about a knife and a cutting board. As for the first, the options can be as follows:
- after processing the fish, wipe the knife with a raw carrot or potato;
- rub the dirty knife with heated salt, lemon peel or tea leaves.
If you are using a wood cutting board, then take advantage of this material's ability to absorb the primary smell. That is, rub the board with lemon zest before you start cutting the fish: the tree will absorb the citrus aroma, and the fish will repel it.
The chopping board and knife absorb odors the most.
Knives, forks, plates, etc. can be rinsed with vinegar solution.
- Mix 1 tbsp. l. vinegar and 2 liters of water.
- We wash the dishes with the prepared mixture.
If you cannot defeat the smell, then the dishes can be soaked in the vinegar mixture for 30-40 minutes.
Another way to remove amber is to rub the appliances (before use!) With vegetable or butter
Pots and plates can be washed with vinegar, or you can use dry mustard or special soap to remove specific kitchen odors, which can be purchased at household chemical stores.
Immediately after the end of cooking the fish, put the frying pan under cold water, and put a few tea leaves on the stove for 10-15 minutes.
The refrigerator also absorbs odors very easily. So if you often buy fish, then consider purchasing a special product to remove strong odors in refrigerators.
If fish gets on your clothes, this is not a reason to say goodbye to part of your wardrobe. First, the best solution would be to immediately send the item to the wash, and add ½ tbsp to the powder. lemon juice and rinse with fabric softener. Remember, the sooner the stain is washed off, the more likely the odor will not penetrate deep into the fibers of the fabric. And secondly, there are a couple more ways.
A faithful assistant in removing unpleasant odors from various types of surfaces.
- Mix 2 tbsp. l. vinegar and 5 liters of water.
- We soak the injured item for 40-60 minutes.
- We erase in the usual way.
Vinegar removes fishy smell from clothes well
Alkaline allows good results.
- We rub the laundry soap on a grater.
- Stir the mixture in hot water.
- We soak things for 30-40 minutes.
- We erase as usual.
If just soaking in a solution of laundry soap does not help, then you can enhance the effect by boiling. But this method is not suitable for delicate fabrics. In this case, it is better to contact a dry cleaner.
Fabric fibers absorb fish odor very quickly
For people who work with fish, the smell, it seems, is unbeatable. But the scale of the problem can be reduced by following some guidelines.
- Clothes that smell of fish can be wrapped in newspapers before they are sent to the wash - the ink will partially absorb the disgusting smell.
- It is better to dry clothes after washing in the fresh air, especially in the cold.
Video. Mustard powder against fish odor
Rather than getting rid of the smell after cooking fish, it is better to adopt proven tips on how to prevent the spread of these very aromas.
- Next to the stove we put a small bowl of water (1–1.5 l), to which we add lemon juice (1 tbsp. L.), 1 tsp. cinnamon, bay leaf and a couple of carnation stars.
- In parallel with the preparation of the fish, we put a container with melted sugar on the stove, to which we add a little vanillin.
- To prevent the smell of fried fish from spreading through the rooms, add 4–5 drops of lemon juice to the cooking oil.
- 3-4 leaves of lavrushka can help prevent the spread of the aroma of grilled fish. Place them directly on the grill rack.
It is equally important that a healthy product in its raw form should be in the freezer, carefully wrapped in a bag. And, as already mentioned, fish needs the lowest storage temperatures.
The unpleasant smell of fish, wherever it penetrates, is rather difficult to remove. So you need to act quickly. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and mustard powder are proven remedies for getting rid of amber. However, it is still best to keep the fishy odor area as small as possible using prevention tips.
Popular by topic
Practical advice on the construction of paths in the garden. Materials used, recommendations
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
A step-by-step recipe for making apple wine at home. Necessary products, tools. Features of making wine, recommendations
Detailed description of the construction of a wooden porch. Materials used, work procedure step by step
How To Make A Garden Fountain With Your Own Hands In The Country: Photo, Video, Step By Step Instructions
A step-by-step description of the process of building and installing a fountain from improvised means in the country with your own hands Required materials and tools