Table of contents:
- Goosebumps: what are they and where do they come from?
- "Goosebumps" or "goose bumps" - what is it
- Is the appearance of "goose bumps" dangerous for a person?
- Video: why we get goosebumps
Video: Why Goosebumps Appear, Run Over The Head, Legs And Arms
2023 Author: Bailey Albertson | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:29
Goosebumps: what are they and where do they come from?
Every person is familiar with the feeling of "goosebumps". Most often, we feel them in moments of emotional turmoil or when we are cold. Where did these "goosebumps" come from in our body, why do they run around us and why are they needed?
"Goosebumps" or "goose bumps" - what is it
The symptom of "goose bumps" has a medical definition - "pilomotor reflex". Its mechanism is as follows: the muscles that hold the hair follicles contract and lift the hairs on the body.
In medicine, this phenomenon is called the pilomotor reflex.
We inherited this reflex from our distant ancestors who had thick hair. Now we can fully observe it in all mammals with wool. Its reasons are as follows:
- In cold weather, the raised hairs keep the air heated by the body well at the skin surface. This provided additional heat and thermoregulation.
- At the moment of danger, the fur that stands on end makes the animal visually larger in size, more massive, and therefore more dangerous. For example, in a porcupine, due to the pilomotor reflex, the thorns not only rise high, but also “shoot”.
Goosebumps, or "goose bumps" - a rudiment inherited from our ancestors in the course of evolution
But since, thanks to the same evolution, a person, in addition to natural instincts, developed feelings and emotions, now the same reflex is triggered during pleasant sensations that we get when we touch a loved one when we hear beautiful music or see something so beautiful that being said is breathtaking. That is, our body physically reacts with “goose bumps” to any shock, and the brain decides whether it is pleasant, dangerous or painful.
Is the appearance of "goose bumps" dangerous for a person?
Until recently, it was believed that this phenomenon does not pose any danger to the body, being only a visible manifestation of internal emotions and tactile sensations. But lately, doctors have argued that "goosebumps" can be a symptom of serious health problems. Of course, the appearance of "goose bumps" is not a reason to panic and immediately run to the hospital. But if you have such sensations too often and especially for no apparent reason, it may be a reason to be examined.
- First, such sensations regularly accompany people prone to anxiety, stress, and mild excitability. Constant presence in such a state does not pass without leaving a trace, it can develop into serious psychological problems up to a nervous breakdown. To avoid this, you need to contact a neurologist or psychotherapist.
- Second, a creepy feeling often indicates a lack of essential vitamins. For example, vitamin C, which is involved in the production of collagen - an important substance that gives blood vessels elasticity. With its lack, the vessels become fragile, which leads to the appearance of wrinkles, irritation on the skin, and, as a result, goose bumps. In the absence of vitamin B1, in addition to goosebumps, a burning sensation will appear, vitamin D - constant fatigue, insomnia and even convulsions. Therefore, it is very important to review the diet and take walks more often in sunny weather.
- If, in addition to "goose bumps" for no apparent reason, you experience coldness and numbness in your hands, this is a reason to immediately visit a therapist or endocrinologist. The phenomenon can be caused by a malfunction of the parathyroid glands.
- Goosebumps are often felt by people with heart disease. They know firsthand about the nocturnal attacks of chills, in which it is very difficult to keep warm for a long time. These sensations may be accompanied by an irregular heartbeat.
- "Goose bumps" along with goose bumps occur exclusively on the legs? This is a reason to consult a phlebologist. Such a symptom may indicate impaired blood circulation and, as a result, varicose veins or atherosclerosis of the arteries of the legs.
Video: why we get goosebumps
Goose bumps can be pleasant or bothersome, sometimes even painful. If they occasionally run over you, don't worry. But in another case, when you feel them with enviable regularity, listen to your body and emotional background in order to prevent the development of a possible disease. After all, prevention is always better than cure, right? Health to you and your family!