Table of contents:
- Every housewife should be able to do this: we separate the yolks from the whites
- Traditional manual separation methods
- We use special devices
- Various attachments to make work easier
- Video on how to easily separate the yolk from the protein
Video: How To Separate The Yolk From The Protein Correctly With A Bottle And Other Methods + Video
2023 Author: Bailey Albertson | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 12:29
Every housewife should be able to do this: we separate the yolks from the whites
If you love baking, then you probably already got the hang of it, and this task seems simple and easy to you. But novice cooks can see a serious problem in how to separate the yolk from the protein without mixing them. After all, the quality of baked goods directly depends, first of all, on the purity of the whipped protein. Today we are going to show you a few easy ways to separate egg white and yolk that will help you master the difficult science of making desserts.
Traditional manual separation methods
So, our main goal is to prevent the yolk membrane from breaking when the shell is broken. The spilled yolk is almost impossible to choose from the protein, and the whipped mass will not gain the required volume, which means that the dough will not be high enough and airy. Therefore, you need to very carefully separate the yolk from the protein. For this, there are several ways that our great-great-great-grandmothers still used.
- Beat the shell very carefully in the center of the egg with a knife or on the edge of a plate. Break the egg in two. Do this confidently and quickly, but be careful not to damage the yolk shell. Rolling the contents from one half of the shell to another, pour the protein into a plate. The yolk will remain in the shell - put it in another bowl.
- This method is similar to the previous one, with the difference that the contents of the shell must be carefully poured into a plate. Then gently remove the yolk with a spoon or fingers.
- If the recipe requires no more than three eggs, use this method: fold your palm in a boat and pour in the contents of the shell. Let the protein drain between your fingers. This will leave the yolk in the palm of your hand. The disadvantage of this method is that it is inconvenient to beat the remaining eggs with dirty hands.
- Use a needle to make a small hole in the shell and use it to pour the egg white into the bowl. The denser yolk with an intact shell will remain inside the shell.
- Use a paper funnel with a pointed end. Break the egg with a knife, pour it into the funnel and wait for the protein to drain into the plate.
The most common way is to gently pour the yolk from one half of the shell to the other until the white is drained.
As you can see, the activity is simple, but it requires a certain skill. Over time, with experience, you will learn to separate the yolk from the protein very quickly.
We use special devices
Cooking does not stand still, and the modern market presents to novice chefs a large assortment of devices and devices that will easily and correctly separate the yolks from the proteins for you. For example, special separators that come in the form of spoons, cups or plates. You can choose what is more convenient for you to work with.
Recently, a new invention has appeared in specialized stores, the so-called egg gun. It will not require any effort or clever manipulation on your part. You need to break the eggs and pour them into a plate. After that, take the separator, bring it to the yolk, squeeze the walls a little and release them. The yolk will simply "dive" into the gun, and it can be easily transferred to another dish. Such devices are easy to disassemble and wash.
Use an egg gun
Of course, you cannot always afford to buy a special device for some reason. For example, guests are about to come, you are already preheating the oven, and there is no way to run to the store and look for such devices. Then you can use what you will probably have at your fingertips - a plastic bottle.
This method works in the same way as the egg gun described above. Break the egg and pour the contents into a plate. Take a small plastic bottle, squeeze it a little, so that some of the air comes out. Bring the neck close to the yolk, gently release the sides of the bottle. The yolk will be inside, it needs to be released into another plate. It is advisable to break one egg at a time so as not to spoil the whole amount with an accidentally bursting yolk.
Various attachments to make work easier
Video on how to easily separate the yolk from the protein
We hope that the methods described by us will help you in your culinary experiments and achievements. Tell us in the comments what methods you use. Good luck and bon appetit!