Table of contents:
- Eucharis: rules for caring for a beautiful Amazonian lily at home
- How does the Amazon lily live at home
- Eucharis species
- General information for a florist
- When and why to transplant
- Eucharis does not bloom and other problems
- Video: indoor flower eucharis
Video: Eucharis: Caring For The Amazonian Lily At Home + Photos And Videos
Eucharis: rules for caring for a beautiful Amazonian lily at home
You are probably familiar with eucharis, an amazingly beautiful flower, also called the Amazon lily. This plant has long earned the popularity of amateur flower growers, due to its external showiness and relatively unpretentious nature. But many owners of eucharis complain about poor growth and rare flowering of the pet. Why? Today we will master the nuances of caring for an Amazonian lily at home.
- 1 How does the Amazon lily live at home
- 2 Species of eucharis
3 General information for a florist
3.1 Table: optimal conditions for growing eucharis
- 4.1 Air temperature
- 4.2 Watering and spraying
- 4.3 Top dressing
- 4.4 Flowering time
- 4.5 Rest period
5 When and why you need to transplant
- 5.1 Ground preparation
- 5.2 How to transplant correctly
6 Eucharis does not bloom and other problems
- 6.1 Care errors
- 6.2 Insect pests and diseases
- 7 Video: indoor flower eucharis
How does the Amazon lily live at home
The Amazonian lily is a bulbous plant. You can recognize this flower by its lanceolate leaves, large and fleshy. On thick long petioles, rosette out of a large bulb with a diameter of up to 6 cm. The length of the leaves of an adult healthy plant can reach 55 cm, width - about 20 cm. The color is emerald green, dark. Young leaves are light green and gradually darken.
Eucharis will become a real decoration of your home
In August-September, eucharis begins to bloom. Its flowers on long peduncles are similar to daffodils: large, collected in inflorescences in the form of an umbrella, from 3 to 10 pieces. The color is white, the color of the crown is from green to yellow, depending on the type of plant. With good, proper care, eucharis can bloom not only in autumn, but also in spring, and sometimes even three times a year.
Think the Amazonian lily looks monotonous? But no! There are several types of eucharis, the most popular among flower growers. If you look closely, you will notice a difference, especially when flowering.
- Eucharis Masters. In the wild, it prefers tropical rainforests. The bulb is ovoid, about 5 cm in diameter. Leaves of uniform green color, rounded, slightly elongated, 15 cm wide and 25 cm long, tapering, with pointed ends. Umbrella-shaped flowers consist of 1–2 inflorescences. Rounded petals 3-4 cm in size taper at the base. Flowering time is early March.
Eucharis masters blooms in early March
- Eucharis is white. Its leaves are rounded elliptical in shape, 15 cm wide and up to 40 cm long. Oval bulb 5–7 cm in diameter. White flowers with petals up to 4 cm, with a green core, collected in peduncles of 10 pieces. The birthplace of the flower is the highlands of Colombia. It blooms in late February-March.
10 flowers bloom on one peduncle of white eucharis
- Large-flowered, or Amazonian, eucharis. This species came to us from the shores of the Amazon, the territory of the Colombian Andes. A distinctive feature is paired leaves, 2–4 pieces on one shoot, each leaf up to 30 cm long. The bulb is round, 5 cm in diameter. The peduncle consists of 6 flowers up to 12 cm in diameter each. Flowering occurs in late spring and can last all summer.
Large-flowered, or Amazonian, eucharis, with proper care, can delight you with its beauty all summer long
- Eucharis toothless (Callifrudia toothless). A plant with elongated triangular leaves, 22 cm long and 10 cm wide. There are 4 leaves per onion. In the umbellate peduncle, 6–8 white flowers are connected.
Eucharis toothless is distinguished by an elongated leaf shape
Eucharis Sandera. View with oval-shaped leaves up to 18 cm wide and up to 30 cm wide, growing from a large bulb with a diameter of 6-7 cm. Peduncle consists of 2-3 small flowers. A distinctive feature is a crown of stamens with a yellowish border. The flowering period is from late winter to mid-spring
Eucharis Sander's flowers are crowned with a crown of stamens
As you can see, among the various varieties of eucharis, you can choose something to your liking.
General information for a florist
Like any other flower grown at home, eucharis puts forward certain requirements for its habitat.
Table: optimal conditions for growing eucharis
Features and requirements
Intense but diffused, shading may be required.
Optimum in summer is 20-25 degrees, in winter from 17 degrees.
Medium, without exceeding the desired level and excessive dryness.
Moderate, without overdrying or waterlogging the substrate.
No more than 1 time in 3 years if necessary (if the bulbs are too tightly filled in the pot).
Nutrient mixture from different types of soil, compost, peat, organic fertilizers, sand; drainage is required.
Basically - dividing the bulb; less often - by seeds (the method is very time consuming and not always effective).
Now let's take a closer look at each step of plant care.
The Amazon lily can live in your home for many years. The way to grow this plant successfully is to protect it from bright light and direct sunlight. The ideal location for the flower is the east or west side, where the midday sun will not touch its leaves. Intense but diffused light is what your green pet is sure to enjoy.
In the summer, eucharis will feel great on the glassed-in veranda. But if it is too exposed to direct sunlight, the plant needs to be shaded with something. Consider this if you are going to take the flower out onto the balcony.
Eucharis is a rather thermophilic plant, and it is not for nothing that hot tropical forests are its homeland. But during different phases of the life cycle, this plant requires a different temperature regime. In any case, try to keep the temperature in the room where this flower stands, at least 15 degrees.
For good flowering, eucharis needs moderate, stable heat without temperature changes.
Try to provide the plant with uniform heat, do not allow sudden temperature changes with a large amplitude: this leads to chopping of flowers and disruptions in the flowering frequency.
Watering and spraying
Eucharis, like all plants of the amaryllis family with bulbous roots, is sensitive to soil moisture. Simply put, the leaves love water, and the roots of excess moisture are afraid. Therefore, control how moistened the soil in the flower pot is, and in every possible way avoid stagnant water, otherwise the root system will begin to rot.
Do not forget the most common rule: water abundantly, but infrequently. It is better to wait until the soil is dry. If it is 3 cm deep, set it aside for a couple of days.
The eucharis irrigation technique also has its own characteristics. Never pour water into the center of the flower where the leaves are coming out of the bulb. It will be correct to distribute water evenly along the walls of the pot. So the soil is optimally saturated with moisture, and the bulb will be protected from waterlogging.
Avoid getting too much water on the leaves. to avoid burns
If you've just transplanted eucharis, water it gently in small portions. When new leaves begin to break through, increase the watering.
During the period of active growth, provide soil moisture 2-3 times a week. The soil or substrate in a flower pot should be kept moderately moist at all times, but without stagnant water.
The Amazonian lily has very large leaves that collect house dust. As you know, a large amount of dust on plants impedes the access of air and sunlight. Therefore, the leaves should not only be regularly wiped with a damp sponge (only carefully so as not to break them), but also sprayed with water from a spray bottle. So you not only "cleanse" the flower, but also bring the conditions of its maintenance closer to natural ones: in its homeland, in the tropics, eucharis does not know a deficit in rain and humidity.
The need for feeding in eucharis arises only during the period of flowering and active growth. As soon as the bud emerges from the bulb to the surface, feed the flower every 10 days with a solution of organic fertilizers - mullein, ash. With active growth, apply mineral and organic fertilizers alternately twice a month. You can buy them ready-made from hardware stores. Special fertilizers are excellent for flowering or bulbous plants.
Eucharis loves organic and mineral fertilizers
After the eucharis has faded, feeding must be stopped.
During this period, in addition to feeding, the flower needs proper watering. It is very important to prevent waterlogging of the soil when the bulb of the plant gives so much energy to the flowers and the formation of boxes with seeds from them. Water the lily with water at room temperature as the soil dries. It is very important to provide holes in the bottom of the pot and mandatory drainage.
During the flowering period, eucharis needs special care.
Spray the eucharis during flowering, but do not let water get on the flowers. In addition, moisture droplets should not concentrate on the leaves: this can cause burns. Wipe dust off the leaves constantly.
The dormant period begins immediately after the eucharis has faded, and lasts from 35 to 50 days. Peduncles are removed, plant feeding is stopped, watering is reduced to a minimum. This time is needed so that the lily does not immediately begin to expel new leaves, but has time to first drop the old ones. And the root system will thus gain strength for a new flowering.
It looks like eucharis during the rest period
Such manipulations with watering and alternating temperature conditions during periods of growth and dormancy easily lead to the fact that eucharis blooms twice, or even three times a year. Usually, the most active growth of bulbs occurs in the middle of winter, and by March the plant forms a full-fledged flower arrow.
When and why to transplant
If you purchased an Amazon lily from a store, pay attention to the size of the pot. After purchase, the flower often needs a transplant. Eucharis needs space to grow, therefore, if the bulb is large and the capacity is small, it is better to immediately transplant it. In this case, certain rules must be taken into account.
The best time to transplant eucharis is early spring, namely March. The flower needs replanting once every 2-3 years. This should be done after the end of flowering, when the plant goes into a dormant period.
Take your time replanting the Amazon lily, even if it has already filled the pot. Do this only when the bulbs become too crowded. The new container should be only a couple of centimeters wider than the previous one.
Eucharis after transplant with a young sprout
Choose wide ceramic pots or wooden boxes for planting. The container should be quite massive: eucharis grows to a large size and can overturn light small dishes.
Eucharis needs a substrate with good moisture holding capacity. You can prepare a suitable soil yourself from several components:
- 2 pieces of leafy land;
- 1 part of sod land;
- 1 part of peat land;
- ½ part coarse sand.
The following mixture also works well for these colors:
- 4 pieces of leafy land;
- 2 parts compost;
- 2 parts sand, perlite or vermiculite;
- 1 part loam.
Ensure good drainage before planting eucharis
Be sure to provide a thick layer of drainage by placing fine rubble, expanded clay, shards or pebbles on the bottom of the pot.
How to transplant correctly
Eucharis is very afraid of damage to the bulb, roots and leaves. Keep this in mind when transplanting, if you do not need to plant eucharis, then try not to violate the integrity of the earthen coma.
Reproduction of lilies from bulbs is the fastest way
Gently loosen the earthen ball with a stick, straighten the roots. Gently wash the tangled parts of the roots in running water at room temperature.
Separate the bulbs carefully before replanting without damaging the root system
Prepare the pot, lay the drainage on the bottom, pour the substrate up to half the container. Place the bulbs (3-5 in each pot), straighten the roots, add the substrate and tamp it well.
Deepen the bulbs a few centimeters into the soil
Water the eucharis immediately after transplanting. For the next 3 weeks, water it moderately as the soil dries. That being said, try to spray the flower abundantly and regularly, especially if it has leaves. Within a month, new leaves will begin to appear on the plant.
After transplanting, eucharis needs moderate watering as needed.
Eucharis does not bloom and other problems
Flowers, like all living things, need certain conditions for a full life, and drastic changes often lead them to diseases. Unlike humans, a plant cannot explain the causes of damage. Therefore, take a close look at your eucharis: its appearance can tell a lot.
The most common problems arise from improper flower care.
- Yellowing and dying off of the lower old leaves of the eucharis. During the period of active growth of new leaves, the old ones turn yellow and die off, this is natural. But if the process takes on a mass character, the reason may be waterlogging of the soil. Remove the bulbs from the pot and inspect carefully. If they are damp and soft to the touch, and their color is uneven, it's bad: the process of decay has begun. But you can still save the flower. Remove the damaged areas with a knife, sprinkle the sections with chopped activated carbon, dry in the fresh air and place back in the soil.
- Loss of density and uniform smooth shape by leaves. Usually, this is how the plant behaves when there is a lack of moisture. But if after watering the leaves do not take their original shape, remain sluggish, then hypothermia may also be the cause. Do not allow the temperature to drop below the optimal mark, do not water the eucharis with cold water, check that the soil is well warmed up.
Loss of elasticity and density by leaves is a sign of lack of moisture or hypothermia
- Eucharis does not bloom. Many novice florists make a big mistake, often replanting euharius, hoping that this will correct the situation. In fact, the plant needs to form daughter bulbs, which will serve as a prerequisite for flowering. Therefore, provide the lily with a dormant period in good lighting conditions and stimulate it with fertilizers such as "Bud", "Blossom", introducing them in small quantities into the moist soil.
If eucharis does not bloom for a long time for no apparent reason, try to stimulate it with special fertilizers.
- Deformation of the leaves. Do not be alarmed: the plant rolls up the leaves so that they do not evaporate moisture. This is usually due to the dry air around the flower. Wipe the leaves frequently with a damp sponge to remove dust and provide access to water. Young leaves are deformed only if they received mechanical damage during unfolding. If all the leaves lose their shape, the cause may be insect pests (you can see them on the inside of the leaf), hypothermia of the soil and root system, or excess fertilizer.
- Falling leaves. If, with the appearance of new leaves, the old ones immediately begin to fall off, know: the plant signals you about the lack of resources for life support. Most often this happens in winter, in conditions of a lack of sunlight. Provide additional artificial lighting for the flower, water it regularly, avoiding drying out or waterlogging of the earthy coma. Try fertilizing the eucharis.
Insect pests and diseases
Eucharis is distinguished by enviable resistance and excellent immunity, but it can still be susceptible to diseases or harmful insects. And the reason for this is simple: improper care or lack of it at all. Beautiful lilies can harm:
- spider mites;
If they have already taken up positions on the plant, then you can easily notice their waste products in the form of clusters of cobwebs. Systemic insecticides, for example, Fitoverm and Actellik, will help you get rid of the misfortune. You can buy them at any flower shop.
In case of lesions and diseases and pests, the flower must not be left without treatment, this can lead to its death
The most common disease among bulbous plants, including eucharis, is gray rot. It can develop in conditions of high air humidity, low temperatures and waterlogged soil. Have you noticed signs of illness? Apply measures: moderate watering, treat the flower with Bordeaux liquid. Such products as "Topaz" and "Champion" have proven themselves well in the fight against the first signs of gray rot. If the lesions become too extensive, remove the diseased areas to healthy tissue, and treat with copper sulfate or other copper-containing contact agents.
Video: indoor flower eucharis
Eucharis, with proper care, will decorate your home with bright greenery and abundant flowering, and its delicate aroma will give a feeling of freshness. Now you know that this is not difficult to achieve. Share your Amazonian lily care experience with us in the comments or ask your questions. Good luck and comfort to your home!
Popular by topic
Practical recommendations for creating a decorative reservoir in the garden. Necessary materials and tools, stage-by-stage performance of work
How to make a brick brazier yourself. A step-by-step description of the work, advice on choosing the type of barbecue and the necessary materials
Detailed description of the construction of a wooden porch. Materials used, work procedure step by step
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a simple children's sandbox. Different sandbox models
Description of the mixboard, styles, location. a step-by-step description of creating a flower garden. selection of plants for mixboard